Can I uninstall Adobe Camera RAW?

Started Apr 27, 2018 | Questions
vett93
vett93 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,393
Can I uninstall Adobe Camera RAW?

I use Adobe LR Classic CC and PS CC. But I don't use Adobe Camera RAW. Is there a way to uninstall it? I still plan to use LR Classic CC and PS CC. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

"Keep calm and take photos"
Photography enthusiast, from 12mm to 500mm

vett93's gear list:vett93's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6500 Apple iPhone 11 Pro
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Boomanbb
Boomanbb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,139
Re: Can I uninstall Adobe Camera RAW?

vett93 wrote:

I use Adobe LR Classic CC and PS CC. But I don't use Adobe Camera RAW. Is there a way to uninstall it? I still plan to use LR Classic CC and PS CC. Thanks.

Uninstall Photoshop (which uses it) and you should be able to remove it. Guess you are stuck with it.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 23,777

vett93 wrote:

You don't shoot in RAW, only Jpeg?

-- hide signature --

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
vett93
OP vett93 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,393

Zeee wrote:

vett93 wrote:

I shoot RAW only. I use LR to process the RAW files. If I can delete Adobe Camera RAW, I can save some space on my main SSD.

-- hide signature --

Denis de Gannes
Denis de Gannes Senior Member • Posts: 2,206

vett93 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

vett93 wrote:

I shoot RAW only. I use LR to process the RAW files. If I can delete Adobe Camera RAW, I can save some space on my main SSD.

Adobe Camera Raw is a plugin that requires you have a host Application for it to function, specifically Adobe Photoshop CC / CSx or Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Neither Adobe LR Classic CC or Adobe LR CC use the Adobe Camera Raw Plugin since the features are built into the applications. However when you use the "edit in function" from Lightroom to send a raw file file to Photoshop the Adobe Camera Plugin does get involved in the processing of the raw data. Otherwise Lightroom Classic is a fully functional application that does not require any other Adobe application installed on your system.

If you require PS CC to work directly with raw files you must have Adobe Camera Raw installed.

-- hide signature --

Denis de Gannes

Denis de Gannes's gear list:Denis de Gannes's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Boomanbb
Boomanbb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,139

The OP will not be able to delete the app until they uninstall Photoshop. May be able to reinstall without it but never tried. I would look for Windows apps to uninstall instead.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585

vett93 wrote:

If I can delete Adobe Camera RAW, I can save some space on my main SSD.

Are you that hard up for the 2-3 meg of space it uses?

Honestly there's really no reason to remove it even if not used. It's not like it intrudes itself if not used.

Edit: Ok, so the standalone versionis 409 meg Still, are you that hard up to want to risk crippling the apps?

-- hide signature --

Look kid, there’s the beginning and the end; all that stuff in the middle is positioning for where you finish.

vett93

ADMint wrote:

vett93 wrote:

If I can delete Adobe Camera RAW, I can save some space on my main SSD.

Are you that hard up for the 2-3 meg of space it uses?

Honestly there's really no reason to remove it even if not used. It's not like it intrudes itself if not used.

Edit: Ok, so the standalone versionis 409 meg Still, are you that hard up to want to risk crippling the apps?

My Adobe Camera RAW cached between 10GB-20GB of data. My Mac Pro has 19.25 TB of storage. But the boot drive is only 0.25TB and Adobe Camera RAW is using a big portion of that!

-- hide signature --

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585

vett93 wrote:

My Adobe Camera RAW cached between 10GB-20GB of data. My Mac Pro has 19.25 TB of storage. But the boot drive is only 0.25TB and Adobe Camera RAW is using a big portion of that!

You need to understand what the Camera RAW cache does to understand it doesn't grow by itself! You also need to be aware you can limit it as well as purge what's there...

You might read this... Optimize performance, and scroll down to "Increase the Camera Raw cache size". You might also note that purging the cache will make your images in LR open more slowly since once the cache is purged. You can see that under "Delete the Lightroom previews cache" further down in the same link.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Look kid, there’s the beginning and the end; all that stuff in the middle is positioning for where you finish.

vett93

ADMint wrote:

vett93 wrote:

You need to understand what the Camera RAW cache does to understand it doesn't grow by itself! You also need to be aware you can limit it as well as purge what's there...

You might read this... Optimize performance, and scroll down to "Increase the Camera Raw cache size". You might also note that purging the cache will make your images in LR open more slowly since once the cache is purged. You can see that under "Delete the Lightroom previews cache" further down in the same link.

Good luck.

Thanks. I did not realize LR uses ACR to cache images. In this case, I'll keep the cache to have good performance.

-- hide signature --

Pixel Poetry
Pixel Poetry Veteran Member • Posts: 6,335

No and you shouldn't, ACR is used to interpret files coming from Lightroom so that Photoshop can read them otherwise those files would need to be rendered before Photoshop can open them, it makes moving files between the two easier.

-- hide signature --

PX

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
vett93
Thanks all

I'll keep ACR. Thanks for all the comments.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads