Gold award and glowing review of Sony A7III on DPR

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Douglas F Watt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,746
Gold award and glowing review of Sony A7III on DPR

I haven't shot with this camera, but I'm struck by how willing DPR is to overlook some of its faults because it's got great high ISO and from their point of view great autofocus. Has anyone shot with this thing in A mount forum? Is its autofocus really better than the Sony Alpha 99 II? At least they didn't cripple its video with an F3.5 restriction! .

It does look as though Sony is really continuing to make strides with OS PDAF. Perhaps the next A mount will be mirrorless? Or no?

What do people here think of this camera compared to the alpha 99 II? I can't imagine it's better overall. But that may just be my prejudice.

-- hide signature --

Sony A99ii-A77ii-RX10III-RX100V
Sigma: 8-16 f4.5-5.6, 500 4.5 EX DG APO.
Sigma Art: 35 f1.4, 50 f1.4, 24-105 f4.
Tamron: 70-200 f2.8 USD
Sony Zeiss Alpha: 24 f2, 85 1.4, 135 1.8, 24-70 2.8 SSMII
Sony: 16-50 f2.8, 100 f2.8M, 70-400 f4-5.6 G2
Minolta: 70-210 f4 ('Beercan').
DFW

Douglas F Watt's gear list:Douglas F Watt's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony RX100 V Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +16 more
osu
osu Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: Gold award and glowing review of Sony A7III on DPR

Douglas F Watt wrote:

I haven't shot with this camera, but I'm struck by how willing DPR is to overlook some of its faults because it's got great high ISO and from their point of view great autofocus. Has anyone shot with this thing in A mount forum? Is its autofocus really better than the Sony Alpha 99 II? At least they didn't cripple its video with an F3.5 restriction! .

It does look as though Sony is really continuing to make strides with OS PDAF. Perhaps the next A mount will be mirrorless? Or no?

What do people here think of this camera compared to the alpha 99 II? I can't imagine it's better overall. But that may just be my prejudice.

Probably gonna end up getting one when they refresh stock. There were some encouraging links on FB that SSM lenses with the LA-EA3 performed better than ever for stills. The video AF issues with A-Mount lenses and the LA-EA3 remain.

osu's gear list:osu's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II +16 more
Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,746

Here's my guess   I think because E-mount is the hot ticket these days (and because their lens lineup is being developed anew and sells at a premium price relative to A-mount, no old lenses to compete with), the best you might see is a full size body to address the ergonomic concerns of some that still utilizes E glass.  With Canon and Nikon supposedly waking from their long slumber and allegedly "getting serious" about mirrorless, product development of E-mount will likely go into overdrive where you'll see new models introduced rapidly.  A-mount bodies will evolve and continue to be released but not so often since longer product cycles will be needed to justify Sony's return on investment.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +15 more
Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242
That 24MP backlit sensor in an a88...

in the a99II body would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat (at 2k$/Euros please, Sony, not another botched cam release price...). Not for on sensors PDAF or latest video features but for the outstanding resolution vs. noise/DR ratio.

24 MP is enough for me, still shooting 2 a900 and an a99. With these still running like on day 1, no need to buy an A7III and adaptor here. Also no need to get an a99II at its current 3600 Euros asking price.
Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
ActionPhotoPassion Contributing Member • Posts: 662

Douglas F Watt wrote:

I have rented an A7Rii during 1 week (I own an LAEA3).

I fell in love with the sensor, I love the 5 axis IBIS. Nothing else to say.

I hate the form factor, but that's personal tastes here.

I now know that my A-mount lenses won't work much better with revision 3 of e-mount cams with my adapter.

Conclusion: I just want the A99ii. I would have preferred it would been using XQD cards though. I'll pull the trigger during next month if no surprises with finance

For the moment except A9, there is no e-mount that focuses as fast as A-mount cam with G SSM 2 lenses. (12 fps with AF + AE).

Apparently the A7iii and A7rIII are shooting 10fps with the 1st shot wide opened, next shots at selected aperture which can fool AF => miss-focus. On A-mount with 12 fps the aperture is wide-opened from the beginning of the burst shots.

But definitely the A7iii is a bang for bucks and a no-brainer for someone who can afford it and what comes with it.

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +15 more
Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,976

Looks like a great value specially for someone starting from scratch.

I have too much invested in the A-mount system, and am quite happy with my a77ii.

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +8 more
Clyde Thomas Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

Douglas F Watt wrote:

Has anyone shot with this thing in A mount forum? Is its autofocus really better than the Sony Alpha 99 II? At least they didn't cripple its video with an F3.5 restriction! .

I bought one and exchanged for a7RIII after three days.

a99II video restrictions are no problem for me. But the a7III video restrictions are. a7III only shoots full frame video in 24p. It will crop the frame in any other mode. My workflow is 30p full frame so a7III doesn't fit.

The a7III AF is very nice, but I shot a job with 85GM side by side with a99II+ZA85 and the hit rate was about the same. It didn't surprise me how well behaved the ZA was, but it did surprise me that the 85GM was not invincible. But hey, you really have to appreciate Steam Punk to like the ZA compared to the GM.

I now have a new a7RIII that I will be selling shortly, along with all my E lenses. I don't like separate switches for OIS. I don't like OIS as I find it less consistent than IBIS. I simply hate fly-wire acceleration, and I shoot too much manual focus to put up with it.

I don't like closed aperture shooting of EMount lenses. I shoot too much studio work of live models at f8/11 and the a99II is better suited for that shooting wide open. None of the viewfinder flashing with gain up for focus. a7III have nice AF assist light, but it can't project past the super fat GM lenses to make any difference. a99II doesn't need the AF assist light.

I still don't like the grip of new E cams. It's too tight for gloves with FE35/1.4 and GM. And when holding camera at my side, the ridge on the fat lenses bites into my finger knuckles. OK for zoo trip, but I work with camera in my hand all day, every day. It hurts.

Half the time I mount an E lens with aperture ring, I end up turning the ring from A, which sets it to f16. Setting back to A defaults camera to f4. So I often have to reset aperture. No problem with that on AMount.

The new E cams are really really great improvement from previous models. But for me, and I mean for me... there are some fundamental problems with the tech that I'm not willing to work with. As an example, the simplest of dozens, I didn't realize how much I appreciate the auto snap lock battery door of AMount, until I lost it on EMount. a99II is a very courteous camera by comparison.

If you're curious, I suggest you get an a7III and move forward knowing that your system will be well supported and provided for. I personally have everything I need with AMount. The total switch to E, for me, would be a downgrade.

___

EDIT: More...

There have been some interesting changes to the operation of the new 7 Ecams.

Eye-AF (as far as I can tell) cannot be separated from face detection. You're either in the mode, or you're not. So, if the mode is turned off, then I can't hit my Eye-AF button and expect it to override. But, with mode turned on, it will automatically override my selected AF point. i haven't found a way to separate the functions and make it work like an a99II. Perhaps it can, but I have't found the control.

Extra needless controls... For Peaking, new 7's have three controls compared to a99II two controls. The Ecam separates ON/OFF from low/medium/high. I keep peaking in my FN quick menu. And it takes up three boxes now, ON/OFF, low/med/hi, and color. a99II only takes up two boxes in the FN quick menu. OFF/low, med, hi, is one control. Color takes the other box. This means I had to dump a box from a7III quick menu. I don't like that.

Another setting I keep in the a99II quick menu is Quality and Size. When quality is set to RAW, then Size grays out. Size only appears when Quality is set for any JPG mode. But new E7's show the JPG Size (and allow changing it) even when in RAW Quality. This is very confusing as it leads me to believe it is shooting a lower resolution RAW file. It doesn't. I wish it grayed out the box to confirm the truth of the matter.

Bewildering... Each button on new E7's have Twenty Two Pages of items to choose from. Not 22 items. 22 pages. Why in Gods name are they still printing the factory default on the back of the camera? Having options is nice, but it can be really overwhelming. I have to cuddle with my a900 just to remind myself of a simpler time with elegant menu.

Weird Ergo... Yes it's better than before.  But I have a really hard time NOT pressing the AEL button.  They put it right on the crest of the thumb nub.  I've never had this level of relearning muscle memory before.  And it got me thinking... With a99II, I think about what buttons I want to press.  With new E7's, I have to think about what buttons I don't want to press.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,148

Douglas F Watt wrote:

The lure of the latest, greatest tech is always there I guess, but honestly, for me, my a99ii does mostly everything I need, especially as video is not part of my paid or hobby photography work. I shudder at the thought of having to build my lens collection again from scratch, especially as I have built it up starting from Minolta film SLR days back in the 1980s. I'm pleased folks are happy with the e-mount but I've grown out of instant gear lust the minute I see a post extolling the virtues of the latest and greatest a7 or a9 camera. At this point I'd rather sit things out until my gear fails or a real breakthrough new tech development hits the world of photography.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more

Probably the best thing to do for you is to rent a body, preferably with LAEA3, and give it a try.

And you'll see very quickly if you like/dislike.

In my area I can rent A7iii for 50€/day or A7riii for 80€/day.

For a 1 day trial on a brand new model I find it pretty fair and I know I'll give it a try at least to compare to A7rii.

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +15 more

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

Probably the best thing to do for you is to rent a body...

I appreciate the suggestion, but as I said, I still have a7RIII, after returning the a7III.  I have LAEA3&4 adapters.  And though the GM70-200 is sharper, I prefer my AMount G because it uses IBIS instead of OIS.  Works fine with LAEA adapters.  But works best on a99II.

Been using EMount since NEX7 and owned all the 7's since.  I'm very familiar with the ergo and the system.  Best thing for me to do is keep my AMount.

-- hide signature --

Clyde Thomas wrote:

Probably the best thing to do for you is to rent a body...

I appreciate the suggestion, but as I said, I still have a7RIII, after returning the a7III. I have LAEA3&4 adapters. And though the GM70-200 is sharper, I prefer my AMount G because it uses IBIS instead of OIS. Works fine with LAEA adapters. But works best on a99II.

Been using EMount since NEX7 and owned all the 7's since. I'm very familiar with the ergo and the system. Best thing for me to do is keep my AMount.

Then I'm not quite sure, if you have already made up your mind, why asking anything ...

I mean, you have made up your mind according to your experimentations. There won't be nobody else that could/should change your very own experience right ?

As for me, I have made my very own experience of A7rii, I know what it is paired with A-mount lenses, and compared to A-mount cams. I have logically made my own conclusions...

So finally dunno where you wanted to get following your very first post of this thread...

Then I'm not quite sure, if you have already made up your mind, why asking anything

I didn't ask anything. I answered.

...I mean, you have made up your mind according to your experimentations. There won't be nobody else that could/should change your very own experience right ?

Right.

As for me, I have made my very own experience of A7rii, I know what it is paired with A-mount lenses, and compared to A-mount cams. I have logically made my own conclusions...

Good.

So finally dunno where you wanted to get following your very first post of this thread...

I didn't want to get anything. I wanted to give my answer to the OP, which specifically asked for user experience of both a7III and a99II.

-- hide signature --

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,601

Clyde Thomas wrote:

Douglas F Watt wrote:

Has anyone shot with this thing in A mount forum? Is its autofocus really better than the Sony Alpha 99 II? At least they didn't cripple its video with an F3.5 restriction! .

a99II video restrictions are no problem for me. But the a7III video restrictions are. a7III only shoots full frame video in 24p. It will crop the frame in any other mode. My workflow is 30p full frame so a7III doesn't fit.

That A7iii 24P-FF video restriction, is that just for adapted lenses, or is that just for shooting in general? And is that a restriction for 1080p as well? Also, is that restriction just for the A7iii or the A7riii as well?

Seems pretty weird to not allow 30p or 60p in Full frame video mode.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more

tqlla wrote:

That A7iii 24P-FF video restriction, is that just for adapted lenses, or is that just for shooting in general? And is that a restriction for 1080p as well? Also, is that restriction just for the A7iii or the A7riii as well?

Only restricted in 4K. a7RIII does not have the restriction.

It does. But only in HD, not 4K.

I thought the 4K 30P crop was weird though. It suspiciously seems intentional to encourage a7RIII upgrade. Just as a9 without SLog suspiciously seems intentional to encourage a7RIII. a9 user forums are still crying for SLog update, as was apologized for in early reviews and passively promised but still never delivered upon.

Sony seems very strategic in their feature sets to encourage multiple body purchases.

Meanwhile a99II provides all, and more.

EDIT: a7III 4K Full Frame 30p crop is an arbitrary crop, not specifically down to APS-C. It's more like a 1.3x crop.

EDIT:  Nothing to do with adapted or native lenses.  It's there all the time in 4K 40p.

-- hide signature --

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,601

Clyde Thomas wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Only restricted in 4K. a7RIII does not have the restriction.

It does. But only in HD, not 4K.

I thought the 4K 30P crop was weird though. It suspiciously seems intentional to encourage a7RIII upgrade. Just as a9 without SLog suspiciously seems intentional to encourage a7RIII. a9 user forums are still crying for SLog update, as was apologized for in early reviews and passively promised but still never delivered upon.

Sony seems very strategic in their feature sets to encourage multiple body purchases.

Meanwhile a99II provides all, and more.

EDIT: a7III 4K Full Frame 30p crop is an arbitrary crop, not specifically down to APS-C. It's more like a 1.3x crop.

EDIT: Nothing to do with adapted or native lenses. It's there all the time in 4K 40p.

Thanks for the info.  Weird that they dont have Slog on the A9's.  That really seems crazy, since its Sonys most expensive camera.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more

Clyde Thomas wrote:

o where you wanted to get following your very first post of this thread...

I didn't want to get anything. I wanted to give my answer to the OP, which specifically asked for user experience of both a7III and a99II.

Ahahahahahah  ok ok I got lost (in translations), indeed you're not the OP

And everything comes to my mind better now. Sorry for having mistaken about that => Now everything makes sense to me indeed

OP Douglas F Watt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,746

Clyde Thomas wrote:

Douglas F Watt wrote:

The a7III AF is very nice, but I shot a job with 85GM side by side with a99II+ZA85 and the hit rate was about the same. It didn't surprise me how well behaved the ZA was, but it did surprise me that the 85GM was not invincible. But hey, you really have to appreciate Steam Punk to like the ZA compared to the GM.

I now have a new a7RIII that I will be selling shortly, along with all my E lenses. I don't like separate switches for OIS. I don't like OIS as I find it less consistent than IBIS. I simply hate fly-wire acceleration, and I shoot too much manual focus to put up with it.

I don't like closed aperture shooting of EMount lenses. I shoot too much studio work of live models at f8/11 and the a99II is better suited for that shooting wide open. None of the viewfinder flashing with gain up for focus. a7III have nice AF assist light, but it can't project past the super fat GM lenses to make any difference. a99II doesn't need the AF assist light.

I still don't like the grip of new E cams. It's too tight for gloves with FE35/1.4 and GM. And when holding camera at my side, the ridge on the fat lenses bites into my finger knuckles. OK for zoo trip, but I work with camera in my hand all day, every day. It hurts.

Half the time I mount an E lens with aperture ring, I end up turning the ring from A, which sets it to f16. Setting back to A defaults camera to f4. So I often have to reset aperture. No problem with that on AMount.

The new E cams are really really great improvement from previous models. But for me, and I mean for me... there are some fundamental problems with the tech that I'm not willing to work with. As an example, the simplest of dozens, I didn't realize how much I appreciate the auto snap lock battery door of AMount, until I lost it on EMount. a99II is a very courteous camera by comparison.

If you're curious, I suggest you get an a7III and move forward knowing that your system will be well supported and provided for. I personally have everything I need with AMount. The total switch to E, for me, would be a downgrade.

___

EDIT: More...

There have been some interesting changes to the operation of the new 7 Ecams.

Eye-AF (as far as I can tell) cannot be separated from face detection. You're either in the mode, or you're not. So, if the mode is turned off, then I can't hit my Eye-AF button and expect it to override. But, with mode turned on, it will automatically override my selected AF point. i haven't found a way to separate the functions and make it work like an a99II. Perhaps it can, but I have't found the control.

Extra needless controls... For Peaking, new 7's have three controls compared to a99II two controls. The Ecam separates ON/OFF from low/medium/high. I keep peaking in my FN quick menu. And it takes up three boxes now, ON/OFF, low/med/hi, and color. a99II only takes up two boxes in the FN quick menu. OFF/low, med, hi, is one control. Color takes the other box. This means I had to dump a box from a7III quick menu. I don't like that.

Another setting I keep in the a99II quick menu is Quality and Size. When quality is set to RAW, then Size grays out. Size only appears when Quality is set for any JPG mode. But new E7's show the JPG Size (and allow changing it) even when in RAW Quality. This is very confusing as it leads me to believe it is shooting a lower resolution RAW file. It doesn't. I wish it grayed out the box to confirm the truth of the matter.

Bewildering... Each button on new E7's have Twenty Two Pages of items to choose from. Not 22 items. 22 pages. Why in Gods name are they still printing the factory default on the back of the camera? Having options is nice, but it can be really overwhelming. I have to cuddle with my a900 just to remind myself of a simpler time with elegant menu.

Weird Ergo... Yes it's better than before. But I have a really hard time NOT pressing the AEL button. They put it right on the crest of the thumb nub. I've never had this level of relearning muscle memory before. And it got me thinking... With a99II, I think about what buttons I want to press. With new E7's, I have to think about what buttons I don't want to press.

Always great to hear from you Clyde and I always learn something from reading your very thoughtful posts.

22 pages for configurable buttons!  Holy cow - that's wild!

Very interesting in particular that the combo of AR7III and GM not discernible better in AF than the A99ii and the old CZ85.  I love that lens on the A99ii!

-- hide signature --

DFW

OP Douglas F Watt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,746

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Douglas F Watt wrote:

The lure of the latest, greatest tech is always there I guess, but honestly, for me, my a99ii does mostly everything I need, especially as video is not part of my paid or hobby photography work. I shudder at the thought of having to build my lens collection again from scratch, especially as I have built it up starting from Minolta film SLR days back in the 1980s. I'm pleased folks are happy with the e-mount but I've grown out of instant gear lust the minute I see a post extolling the virtues of the latest and greatest a7 or a9 camera. At this point I'd rather sit things out until my gear fails or a real breakthrough new tech development hits the world of photography.

My problem is trying to imagine a situation in which the a99ii would not be adequate.  I guess in super low light maybe . . .but everywhere else, it just hits home runs. It has killed the gear wanderlust.  Only the weight is a limiting factor - when I'm not willing to tote a big camera, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of an RX100V.

-- hide signature --

DFW

ValeryD
ValeryD Regular Member • Posts: 190

I compared a7III to my a99II, especially for autofocus. a7III gave more errors than a99II. An example of the test is shooting, as in real life, the first shot at a close distance, then the far dark corner of the store, the last in the middle distance. a7III made mistakes 2 times from three repeated tests.
In addition, a7III is a very good camera.

ValeryD's gear list:ValeryD's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more

I think the A99ii is more capable than emount in low light.

A99ii is rated at   -4ev @f2.8

Emount rev3 is   -2ev @f2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads