Time Lapse question

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
User0072362798 Forum Member • Posts: 64
Time Lapse question

A time lapse sequence of clouds that I compiled moves to quickly. How do I slow things down ... by changing the time interval  setting  between shots ... or by changing the frames per second rate when compiling?

Thanks in advance

Mystic38 Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Time Lapse question

User0072362798 wrote:

A time lapse sequence of clouds that I compiled moves to quickly. How do I slow things down ... by changing the time interval setting between shots ... or by changing the frames per second rate when compiling?

Thanks in advance

one suggestion is to load the existing sequence into some video editing software and slow down the play speed, or put the frames in at different time locations (kinda like pick and place).

changing the time interval between shots with an intervalometer may work, but if the camera is used to make a time lapse video it may, or may not, honor the original timing of when the photos were taken.

suggest to experiment, and also search youtube for ideas

Mystic38's gear list:Mystic38's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +2 more
kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,008

User0072362798 wrote:

A time lapse sequence of clouds that I compiled moves to quickly. How do I slow things down ... by changing the time interval setting between shots ... or by changing the frames per second rate when compiling?

Thanks in advance

I would go with shorter time intervals between frames.

It will slow things down and make things look smoother and more natural.

kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +3 more
W5JCK
W5JCK Senior Member • Posts: 2,893

User0072362798 wrote:

Thanks in advance

Since you already took the photos (frames), change the frame rate to a slower setting.

It takes a while to get the feel for making good TL video. Play around with different intervals between shots and different frame rates when compiling. Eventually you will find a system that works for you.

If you have decent video editing software like iMovie, you can slow videos down. Just load the TL video you created into the app and change the playback settings.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Jack
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackswinden
Sony RX100M3, a6000, and a7

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +13 more
1DSmII Contributing Member • Posts: 612

kiwi2 wrote:

User0072362798 wrote:

Thanks in advance

I would go with shorter time intervals between frames.

This, and also try to get shorter exposures.

The smoothest daytime timelapse I've done had to be shot in jpeg because with RAW the camera's buffer filled up. I was aiming for 1 or 2 second exposures, but the old 1Ds MkII couldn't cope. One exposure per second or even less is best IME.

-- hide signature --

Leo S.

1DSmII's gear list:1DSmII's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +17 more
Secondphase Forum Member • Posts: 70

User0072362798 wrote:

Thanks in advance

A couple of suggestions:

For smoother playback, plan your lapse for 30 fps rather than 24. You should watch the clouds for a minute or so to see how fast, or slow, they are moving. If they seem to be going pretty fast, an interval of 2 seconds can be enough. For slower moving clouds, you could try 4-6 seconds. Again, 30 fps will look much smoother than 24. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be too concerned about how fast the shutter speed is. I've never found fast shutter speeds to be a problem. There are a lot of "experts" on YouTube who will tell you that it's necessary to "drag the shutter" meaning shutter speeds of 1/8 second or more. If you are at 24 fps, that might be a good idea. At 30fps it's not necessary.

Hope this helps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads