1DXII Out~!! A7RIII is IN!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,483
3.1 Ounce Weight Savings! Whoopie!

Weight of 5D Mark IV: 890 grams

Weight of Sony A7Riii:  657 grams

Difference: 240 grams (8.4 ounces or half a pound)

Weight of Metabones Canon to Sony Adapter:  5.3 ounces

Weight difference: 3.1 Ounces

Soend $3,500 and save 3.1 ounces. Okay

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
londonbairn New Member • Posts: 22
Re: 3.1 Ounce Weight Savings! Whoopie!

I don't personally understand the weight argument. It's hardly taxing carrying a SLR on with some lens. In fact to the contrary, bigger bodies are just far better (IMO) to handle.  You take what you need for a given situation, if you go on holiday lugging 6 or 7 lenses then get a Peli to get your eqipment there, and then each day you go out you take 1 or 2 lenses. Hardly heavy.

Plus I personally prefer a larger camera body, I just can't get to grips with a small body. Tried it before.

londonbairn's gear list:londonbairn's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +8 more
photog7320 Senior Member • Posts: 2,423

londonbairn wrote:

I don't personally understand the weight argument. It's hardly taxing carrying a SLR on with some lens.

In addition to my DSLRs I have an EOS M (the original!) with the 22mm and 18-55mm. Naturally I turn to the DSLRs and L glass for serious photography. But it's nice to grab the M for those times I want to shoot casually. The M is a feather by comparison and it does make a difference.

But...that's an APS-C M with a pancake lens or a tiny EF-M short zoom. There is no real weight savings with a Sony FF and either adapted Canon glass or equivalent Sony glass.

fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,708
Re: 1DXII Out~!! A7RIII is IN!

Ryanide wrote:

That's it! I'm done waiting on Canon to come out with a Mirrorless FF replacement for my 1DXII so I'm making to move to SONY.

I'm tired of traveling with all the weight of the 1DXII

"Are you really". What a First World problem, eh? Hobbyist who could afford $5500 to have an ego-trip flagship camera now criticises it for not being a handy camera jewellery size when he looks over the other side of the fence... [exhales]

and the idea of buying a 2 year old 5DIV, that is not really much smaller, just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm going to try the Metabones adapter with my Canon Lenses and see how that works out. Maybe in a few years Canon will catch up to Sony, but I just can't wait any longer. : (

I must remember to pray for you.

PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 5,728

I did similarly but less dramatically years ago to complement 5D III with A7r for traveling and I usually carry two cameras into trips, from two DSLRs to one DSLR and one ML, then moved to two MLs (A7r, A7 II) and now A7r III (that just bought a few days ago) and A7r II (or A9 if sell A7r II). There are many choices of also compact UWA and WA FE lenses for traveling and landscape - Laowa, Voigtlander 10/12/15mm, Zeiss Batis/Loxia, Sony FE prime lenses (28, 35, 50, 55, 85), FE 12-24G, FE 16-35G, FE 24-105G, Tamron 28-75/2.8...

A7r III should serve your purpose very well - 42mp, IBIS, great DR and high ISO.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
David Pavlich
David Pavlich Senior Member • Posts: 3,509

Good luck!  Let's hope that you don't need service.

David

-- hide signature --

"The world doesn't need you...." Gene Simmons
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
stevedavidsonphotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

David Pavlich wrote:

Good luck! Let's hope that you don't need service.

David

Sony still sends their customers here ?

https://www.facebook.com/Precision-Camera-Video-Repair-Inc-39920456249/

Sonys are throwaways for rich people ?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3794373

stevedavidsonphotography's gear list:stevedavidsonphotography's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 12,564

Anthony1970 wrote:

J A C S wrote:

Ryanide wrote:

That's it! I'm done waiting on Canon to come out with a Mirrorless FF replacement for my 1DXII so I'm making to move to SONY.

I'm tired of traveling with all the weight of the 1DXII and the idea of buying a 2 year old 5DIV, that is not really much smaller, just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm going to try the Metabones adapter with my Canon Lenses and see how that works out. Maybe in a few years Canon will catch up to Sony, but I just can't wait any longer. : (

Congratulations! You just got a system 150 g lighter than a 5D4 based one (adapter included without a few extra batteries).

Is that included the Metabones adapter ?

Yes. They refuse to post weight but I found a post stating that the weight of the adapter was about 150g.

Paul B Jones
Paul B Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,870

The 1DXII is a niche market product. Why did you buy it in the first place? If you are interested in action/wildlife, isn't the a9 the Sony equivalent you are looking for?

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Old Greenlander Senior Member • Posts: 3,445

Ryan

You probably use small lenses on 1Dx and 5D4 if these cameras seem large to you.

With a 300 to a 600 mm fast prime your solution has very little meaning.

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
35 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +17 more
stratobill Senior Member • Posts: 2,055

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

londonbairn wrote:

I don't personally understand the weight argument. It's hardly taxing carrying a SLR on with some lens.

In addition to my DSLRs I have an EOS M (the original!) with the 22mm and 18-55mm. Naturally I turn to the DSLRs and L glass for serious photography. But it's nice to grab the M for those times I want to shoot casually. The M is a feather by comparison and it does make a difference.

But...that's an APS-C M with a pancake lens or a tiny EF-M short zoom. There is no real weight savings with a Sony FF and either adapted Canon glass or equivalent Sony glass.

I added the SL2 and it's great for travel, and if I want a bit more quality I attach the 16-35F4L, that lens is amazing even on crop.

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
The Fat Fish
The Fat Fish Senior Member • Posts: 1,047

I'd love to see how you get on with the adaptor. I have an A7III on pre-order.

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of mediocre landscape photography, check out mine:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexwedlake/

The Fat Fish's gear list:The Fat Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
kchen88 Forum Member • Posts: 53

I think you got fixed up with 5D4 with 1DX that he owns. that is more than 150gm

Slaginfected Regular Member • Posts: 472

Colin46 wrote:

Ryanide wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 1DXII and my intention with this post is to let Canon know that there are many people, like myself, that would like options that they are not currently offering. If they see that even photographers who are heavily invested in Canon gear are making the change to another brand because they don’t have a camera that competes in a category, then maybe that will influence their future products. I know I’m not the only one who is wanting a mirrorless FF Canon body.

For me, the weight consideration for travel photography is the main reason for buying the Sony body. I’m going to keep all my Canon lenses as hopefully there will be a mirrorless body soon. And, I will keep the 1DXII as it is an incredible camera, but I’m not taking for travel.

I did the same thing, i sold my Canon 1dxII and 5dsr and a load of Canon L glass from 16-35 upto 500 f4 and bought a Sony a7rIII and a9.

That was a big mistake for me.

I found out first hand the hard way that the a9 is built like a cheap bottom of the line plastic dslr and the 24-70 G master build quality is a joke.

I was on the first hour of a photo trip up into the highlands of Scotland when a big gust of wind blew over my Gitzo 5 series tripod and the a9 and 24-70 hit the deck, not that hard but the viewfinder smashed, the rear screen smashed and the body split into 2 pieces. The 24-70 left its bent mount attached on the camera and broke into 2 pieces revealing 4 little plastic posts that fix the mount to the lens body.

I must add that ive had a 1dx fall from the same height with the 70-200 f2.8 attached and the camera had a slight scuff mark on one of its corners and the lens was undamaged.

From a usability point of view, the Sony's are way off Canon ergonomics, in that the Sony's feel uncomfortable to handhold over a long period and the menus are a joke.

From an image quality point of view, you cant really criticize Sony, they make the best sensors out there, however, ive compared images from the a7rIII with the 5dsr and images from the a9 and the 1dxII and in real world terms you cant see any difference.

To sum up, ive now sold the sony gear and gone back to Canon with the 1dxII again and a 5d mark 4where I feel much happier. It was an expensive mistake but a worthwhileone for me.

2.5kg tripod (without head?) and mounted camera being toppled over by wind alone either means it was not standing safely or "big gust of wind" and "not that hard" don't really match up. Regardless, the camera+lens had to bear not only their own weight, but that of the tripod, too, and had some inertia from getting toppled over in the first place. I'd like to see any Canon coming out of this unscathed, and for the sake of arguing lets make a test series to see the possible deviations.

I've seen enough pro grade DSLR equip breaking in one way or another from much smaller falls. No camera maker gives you any guarantees regarding impact, not even Canikon for their big bricks. I have a Nikon 1 AW1 where this is different, but this camera comes with the typical additional heft of ruggedness (and had a good number of industrial rugged devices in my hand). A rugged Canon 1D-whatever would be way heavier and thicker.

Infact, you could make a rugged A9 and still come out with the body size of a Canon 1D, but not the other way around.

In the end its important that you are happy with your equip, but your example is like running on this ice: Not much support. Let a phone fall from some height and it may get a scratch one time or break the screen the next time. It always depends on how its falling. I've had some impacts with my A7s and it is still living; granted, I haven't managed to get it toppled over together with a tripod (where I'd expect any camera to break in one way or another with such a 'heavy' tripod).

Slaginfected wrote:

Colin46 wrote:

Ryanide wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 1DXII and my intention with this post is to let Canon know that there are many people, like myself, that would like options that they are not currently offering. If they see that even photographers who are heavily invested in Canon gear are making the change to another brand because they don’t have a camera that competes in a category, then maybe that will influence their future products. I know I’m not the only one who is wanting a mirrorless FF Canon body.

For me, the weight consideration for travel photography is the main reason for buying the Sony body. I’m going to keep all my Canon lenses as hopefully there will be a mirrorless body soon. And, I will keep the 1DXII as it is an incredible camera, but I’m not taking for travel.

I did the same thing, i sold my Canon 1dxII and 5dsr and a load of Canon L glass from 16-35 upto 500 f4 and bought a Sony a7rIII and a9.

I found out first hand the hard way that the a9 is built like a cheap bottom of the line plastic dslr and the 24-70 G master build quality is a joke.

I was on the first hour of a photo trip up into the highlands of Scotland when a big gust of wind blew over my Gitzo 5 series tripod and the a9 and 24-70 hit the deck, not that hard but the viewfinder smashed, the rear screen smashed and the body split into 2 pieces. The 24-70 left its bent mount attached on the camera and broke into 2 pieces revealing 4 little plastic posts that fix the mount to the lens body.

I must add that ive had a 1dx fall from the same height with the 70-200 f2.8 attached and the camera had a slight scuff mark on one of its corners and the lens was undamaged.

From a usability point of view, the Sony's are way off Canon ergonomics, in that the Sony's feel uncomfortable to handhold over a long period and the menus are a joke.

From an image quality point of view, you cant really criticize Sony, they make the best sensors out there, however, ive compared images from the a7rIII with the 5dsr and images from the a9 and the 1dxII and in real world terms you cant see any difference.

To sum up, ive now sold the sony gear and gone back to Canon with the 1dxII again and a 5d mark 4where I feel much happier. It was an expensive mistake but a worthwhileone for me.

2.5kg tripod (without head?) and mounted camera being toppled over by wind alone either means it was not standing safely or "big gust of wind" and "not that hard" don't really match up. Regardless, the camera+lens had to bear not only their own weight, but that of the tripod, too, and had some inertia from getting toppled over in the first place. I'd like to see any Canon coming out of this unscathed, and for the sake of arguing lets make a test series to see the possible deviations.

I've seen enough pro grade DSLR equip breaking in one way or another from much smaller falls. No camera maker gives you any guarantees regarding impact, not even Canikon for their big bricks. I have a Nikon 1 AW1 where this is different, but this camera comes with the typical additional heft of ruggedness (and had a good number of industrial rugged devices in my hand). A rugged Canon 1D-whatever would be way heavier and thicker.

Infact, you could make a rugged A9 and still come out with the body size of a Canon 1D, but not the other way around.

In the end its important that you are happy with your equip, but your example is like running on this ice: Not much support. Let a phone fall from some height and it may get a scratch one time or break the screen the next time. It always depends on how its falling. I've had some impacts with my A7s and it is still living; granted, I haven't managed to get it toppled over together with a tripod (where I'd expect any camera to break in one way or another with such a 'heavy' tripod).

Twice my old 10D fell hard onto a concrete floor and both times just scratches.

I am old and get droppy.

I have to shoot Canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Colin46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,290

Slaginfected wrote:

Colin46 wrote:

Ryanide wrote:

The camera actually fell onto relatively soft grassy ground, the extent of the damage was really surprising, The sony cameras and lenses are not built to a standard that their price suggests.

It doesnt really matter what you said above and what you think you know, i was just telling my story and it was all fact, so with all due respect what you said was meaningless and i never asked for your analysis of what happened as you were not there.

Sony quoted £2000 to repair the camera and £1200 to repair the lens and 3 weeks to fix. Insurance wrote them off.

Now im not saying Canon would charge less but with my CPS Platinum membership i would have a loan camera here the next day and mine would be back to me within a few days.

A system is a system and Sony are no anywhere close yet with pro support etc.

The bottom line is I trust my Canon pro gear to get the job done in any condition which is sonething I, unfortunately, couldnt say about the Sony's.

Colin46's gear list:Colin46's gear list
Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Canon EOS 5DS R Sony a7R II +13 more

stevedavidsonphotography wrote:

Slaginfected wrote:

Colin46 wrote:

Ryanide wrote:

Twice my old 10D fell hard onto a concrete floor and both times just scratches.

I am old and get droppy.

I have to shoot Canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

... and my A7s shut off completely more than 2 times because it detected some unusually high acceleration. Still working (same goes for the lenses). Now what do we do with that?

My last phone survived a good number of falls, until a rather short trip to the ground caused the display to break (the actual display, not the front glass). Either you get enough force (as with the tripod example) or "lucky" to break your equip. Structural weaknesses and such ...

Colin46 wrote:

Slaginfected wrote:

Colin46 wrote:

Ryanide wrote:

The camera actually fell onto relatively soft grassy ground, the extent of the damage was really surprising, The sony cameras and lenses are not built to a standard that their price suggests.

It doesnt really matter what you said above and what you think you know, i was just telling my story and it was all fact, so with all due respect what you said was meaningless and i never asked for your analysis of what happened as you were not there.

Sony quoted £2000 to repair the camera and £1200 to repair the lens and 3 weeks to fix. Insurance wrote them off.

Now im not saying Canon would charge less but with my CPS Platinum membership i would have a loan camera here the next day and mine would be back to me within a few days.

A system is a system and Sony are no anywhere close yet with pro support etc.

The bottom line is I trust my Canon pro gear to get the job done in any condition which is sonething I, unfortunately, couldnt say about the Sony's.

I was not there, no. But if things don't add up -- and wind toppling over 4-5kg with not much area it can take a grip on -- I have two options: Silently discard such an example or start questioning it, because while not unlikely it suggests more extreme circumstances. Grass ground, while not rock, is a pretty far fetch from a thick layer of moss. I had more than one thing break on grass ground.

I didn't say that the Sony gear is up to par in terms of ruggedness with the Canon pro gear. I've also seen DSLR equip break on much lower falls, not to pieces, but in a way it was non-functional or functionally impaired. It all depends how it hits the ground.

My last phone survived multiple 3+ feet falls and died from a ~1 feet fall in the end (or the display did, frontglass was just fine ...). Which also means our expectations and actual reality when it comes to such falls differ sometimes widely.

And I started using a NEX camera in 2011 and got the A7s on preorder. These things are not raw eggs as some are suggesting. There are better tools out there (like some of the Canon gear -- I own some of that, too) if you really face adverse circumstances more often. For everything else the Sony stuff is more than good enough.

Dale Garman Contributing Member • Posts: 833

well I have had similar experiences with Canon gear, and lenses and cameras all survived fine.  Yes it was stupid, but had camera drop onto concrete out of car seat with just a scratch, and from tripod where very strong gust of wind blew over in Hawaii (yes I set up tripod wrong and learned from it).  I'm sure you can break them, but they are built for abuse.  Don't know anything much about the other brands.

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more

Ryanide wrote:

I'm tired of traveling with all the weight of the 1DXII and the idea of buying a 2 year old 5DIV, that is not really much smaller, just doesn't sit well with me.

The Sony manual is much smaller than the Canon manual so it will be easy to learn.

Sony makes some people get sick ?

From the manual quote :

••When shooting with the viewfinder,

you may experience symptoms

such as eyestrain, fatigue,

travel sickness, or nausea. We

recommend that you take a break

at regular intervals when you are

shooting with the viewfinder.

In case you may feel

uncomfortable, refrain from using

the viewfinder until your condition

recovers, and consult your doctor

as necessary.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads