Q(7) + DA 70 f/2.4?

Started Apr 19, 2018 | Questions
masklayer
masklayer Forum Member • Posts: 85
Q(7) + DA 70 f/2.4?

Has anyone ever done this?

I've really enjoyed using a cheap SMC Pentax F 35-70 on the q7 with the official k-q adapter, but find I almost always use it at 70mm, and the DA 70 f/2.4 seems like it could be a way to have that ~320mm equivalent reach, in a super compact form factor, with probably better IQ, and a wider aperture when necessary.

But it's a bit expensive for something I'd only be using manually, at a focal length I can already achieve with a lens that I already have, which still sort of fits in my hoodie pocket despite being much bigger.

Thoughts? Experience? Alternative ideas?

masklayer's gear list:masklayer's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon Coolpix A1000 Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T4 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Abbazz
Abbazz Senior Member • Posts: 1,152
Re: Q(7) + DA 70 f/2.4?

A much smaller and cheaper alternative would be the Tamron 75mm F/3.9 C-mount lens. Of course, it's 1 stop slower than the DA 70, but it delivers nice results on the Pentax Q. It's a very common lens (complete reference is Tamron 23FM75-L), that is avsailble new for less than $140 or used for much less.

Some nice pictures on this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/352833-tamron-c-mount-lens-75mm-f3-9-pentax-q7.html

Cheers!

Abbazz

-- hide signature --

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource: http://artbig.com/

masklayer
OP masklayer Forum Member • Posts: 85

Abbazz wrote:

A much smaller and cheaper alternative would be the Tamron 75mm F/3.9 C-mount lens. Of course, it's 1 stop slower than the DA 70, but it delivers nice results on the Pentax Q. It's a very common lens (complete reference is Tamron 23FM75-L), that is avsailble new for less than $140 or used for much less.

Some nice pictures on this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/352833-tamron-c-mount-lens-75mm-f3-9-pentax-q7.html

Cheers!

Abbazz

That is a good idea, I guess I didn't realize there were c-mount lenses in the 75ish mm focal length area (I don't know why not, though). I'm pretty sure that specific one would end up being longer, despite being overall smaller though. But those sample pix do look really good. I'll keep that in mind as a more practical option and probably look at other 75ishmm c-mount options.

Thanks!

masklayer
OP masklayer Forum Member • Posts: 85

actually I was looking at the wrong thing... that's a lot smaller than I thought it was. Neat

Abbazz
Abbazz Senior Member • Posts: 1,152

masklayer wrote:

That is a good idea, I guess I didn't realize there were c-mount lenses in the 75ish mm focal length area (I don't know why not, though). I'm pretty sure that specific one would end up being longer, despite being overall smaller though.

The length is not so different when you include the adapter. The Tamron lens is very small and is only 65.5mm long (less than 70mm with the C adapter), while the DA70mm is 26mm long, but 63mm when you factor in the adapter.

But those sample pix do look really good. I'll keep that in mind as a more practical option and probably look at other 75ishmm c-mount options.

I have tried quite a few 70/75mm C-mount lenses. The good ones are usually very expensive (like the Kern Paillard lenses). The Tamron hits the sweet spot: small and compact, good image quality and not too expensive.

Cheers!

Abbazz

-- hide signature --

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource: http://artbig.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads