Cinelike D & V Hack on the Panasonic GX85

Started Apr 19, 2018 | Discussions
AccursedSpermaceti Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Cinelike D & V Hack on the Panasonic GX85

Looks pretty handy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBiDVsDt5g&feature=youtu.be

Original discussion:

is a banned URL for some reason - but you'll find a link in the HTML file used for enabling / uploading the profile.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Walt Palmer
Walt Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,934
Re: Cinelike D & V Hack on the Panasonic GX85

I don't understand video profiles, but it is exciting to see firmware hacks for newer cameras. Maybe it's just that I'm fro the really old days when we all shared code and the future looked amazingly cool.

How are these profiles used? And why do video folks use them? Please?

++ [-walt]++
Old enough that my two cents used to be worth something.

OP AccursedSpermaceti Contributing Member • Posts: 554

I'm no expert, but AFAIK the Cinelike D is a very flat (low contrast profile) that is great for grading / post-processing and avoiding highlight and shadow maximum values.

I plan to try it now we have some light that is not naturally flat / grey

BostonC Contributing Member • Posts: 640

I wish the guy gave credit to BTM_pix on eoshd who originally developed the hack. See the long thread and many tips there. Just found I can't post the link b/c DPR bans its domain!  Search for "Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???" and BTM_pix, google will take you there.

d3xmeister Veteran Member • Posts: 3,380

I use this hack for quite a while. Got no need for Cine D but I like Cine V and I always used it

brousseb
brousseb Regular Member • Posts: 193

I've had this on my GX85 since it was first discovered on eoshd.  I've also applied it to my ZS100 and LX10, it looks much better than flattening out the other profiles.  I have Cinelike D saved as the custom profile, then restored the other profiles back so I have all the built in profiles, plus the cinelike D profile.

brousseb's gear list:brousseb's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic LX10
LonStar3000 New Member • Posts: 4

At this time CineLikeD Loader says "this site cannot be reached". What a bummer. It must have been taken down for some reason. Or I did not do it correctly.

LonStar3000's gear list:LonStar3000's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D60 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
mauriet
mauriet Junior Member • Posts: 34

I'm using the cinelike-d. Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes but ...

When I switch from photo to 4k video the frame snaps with crop factor 1.1

When my GX80 is in Cinelike-D "mode" it looks like there is no crop factor.

Where do  I go wrong or am I right?

mauriet's gear list:mauriet's gear list
Casio QV-3500EX Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 +13 more
brousseb
brousseb Regular Member • Posts: 193

When you say Cinelike D "mode", I assume you mean it's the picture profile you have set to Cinelike D (shows as blank instead of the actual profile name).  Or did you do something else?  Do you still have access to the other profiles (standard, etc)?  You could shoot a 4k video with Cinelike D and then again with Standard and see if there is a difference, I doubt that there would be.  I don't have my GX85 anymore to test.

If you don't have access to the other profiles, you can save Cinelike D to the custom profile, then restore the settings back, it should retain Cinelike D in the custom profile, while giving back all the built in profiles.  Alternatively you can assign C1, C2 or C3 to the video mode with CineD enabled and restore your profiles.

brousseb's gear list:brousseb's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic LX10
jorgepr
jorgepr Regular Member • Posts: 182

AccursedSpermaceti wrote:

Looks pretty handy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBiDVsDt5g&feature=youtu.be

Original discussion:

is a banned URL for some reason - but you'll find a link in the HTML file used for enabling / uploading the profile.

How do I do that?

-- hide signature --

My project "Portugal Rural"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDzStvqUzG8&feature=share
Sorry, English is not my native language.

jorgepr's gear list:jorgepr's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 +10 more
Oboyle
Oboyle Regular Member • Posts: 209

I accidentally set cinelike v as a still profile for a bunch of shots I took this weekend and I really liked the look! Somewhere between standard and vivid to my eyes. So yeah not just for video. Worth getting if you can make the hack work.

Oboyle's gear list:Oboyle's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +2 more
1000nx New Member • Posts: 4

Is it still  working with 1.3 firmware?

Vit Adamek
Vit Adamek Forum Member • Posts: 66

1000nx wrote:

Is it still working with 1.3 firmware?

Yes.

Vit Adamek's gear list:Vit Adamek's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads