Major issue with eye autofocus on A7iii?

Started Apr 12, 2018 | Discussions
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970
Re: Major issue with eye autofocus on A7iii?

in a perfect tech support world your camera would go back to the engineers, for detailed inspection and testing.

i would suggest that anyone having similar af issues post it to the official sony forum: https://us.community.sony.com/s/topic/0TO0B0000000sPiWAI/interchangeable-lens-cameras-alpha?language=en_US

along with the ticket number.

-- hide signature --

dan

OP ATLshooter Regular Member • Posts: 385

osv wrote:

in a perfect tech support world your camera would go back to the engineers, for detailed inspection and testing.

i would suggest that anyone having similar af issues post it to the official sony forum: https://us.community.sony.com/s/topic/0TO0B0000000sPiWAI/interchangeable-lens-cameras-alpha?language=en_US

along with the ticket number.

When I give them a call tomorrow I will definitely offer for them to buy the camera back from me if they want to look at it. Or they can maybe connect with Best Buy to get my particular camera sent back to them. Or at the very least flag my serial number for when the camera gets sent back.

I hope they do get to trouble shoot my particular camera and figure out what’s going on. I’ll do what I can to make that happen within reason.

ATLshooter's gear list:ATLshooter's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

ticket number posted to the official sony forum would be helpful for that, especially if the other couple of people having similar issues backed you up on it.

posting out here doesn't do much good, we've never seen any evidence that sony pays serious attention to dpr... that's what they have their own official forum for.

-- hide signature --

dan

HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

ATLshooter wrote:

HFLM wrote:

ATLshooter wrote:

Even trying to get my daughter in focus doesn't work. I wasn't even using eye-af for this, just standard spot af. Fails every shot. I just don't get it. The way I have it set up the shutter shouldn't even fall until it has a focus lock.....so the camera thinks it has focus when it clearly does not.

AF-C, small spot AF (giving me the green box right over her eye), and I even have my "priority set in AF" to autofocus. So the shutter shouldn't even be able to fall until the camera sees it has a focus lock.

Yet, I take a burst of photos and not a single one of them is in focus. I have never experienced anything like this with any camera. I killed it with my a6500, but this 7iii just has to be faulty. We (we being DP reviews and Sony themselves) have tried everything to sort this out to no avail. Hence the reason I bought a second body.

None of these shots are in focus. Not a single one. And this is how literally 95% of my shots are coming out (I've done the math).

Some are in focus, just not where you want the focus to be.

AFC seems to severely front focus for you.

Did you click the pics and zoom up to 100% and inspect them? I did, and I can’t find a single spot in any of these shots that is truly in focus. Some spots are less blurry, but not in focus.

Still doesn’t account for why the camera says it has focus when I have the box over the eye yet misses every time.

Im not being combative, hope it doesn’t come off that way. I’m just trying to get answers. Thanks!

I can find a focus point on the shirt near the elbow in some pics at 100% (e.g. 3rd image), meaning there is severe front focus. Additionally some have motion blur, too.

HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

A firmware update was released today. Maybe they secretly dealt with the problem?

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-firmware-update-for-the-sony-a7iii/

HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III

HFLM wrote:

ATLshooter wrote:

HFLM wrote:

ATLshooter wrote:

Even trying to get my daughter in focus doesn't work. I wasn't even using eye-af for this, just standard spot af. Fails every shot. I just don't get it. The way I have it set up the shutter shouldn't even fall until it has a focus lock.....so the camera thinks it has focus when it clearly does not.

AF-C, small spot AF (giving me the green box right over her eye), and I even have my "priority set in AF" to autofocus. So the shutter shouldn't even be able to fall until the camera sees it has a focus lock.

Yet, I take a burst of photos and not a single one of them is in focus. I have never experienced anything like this with any camera. I killed it with my a6500, but this 7iii just has to be faulty. We (we being DP reviews and Sony themselves) have tried everything to sort this out to no avail. Hence the reason I bought a second body.

None of these shots are in focus. Not a single one. And this is how literally 95% of my shots are coming out (I've done the math).

Some are in focus, just not where you want the focus to be.

AFC seems to severely front focus for you.

Did you click the pics and zoom up to 100% and inspect them? I did, and I can’t find a single spot in any of these shots that is truly in focus. Some spots are less blurry, but not in focus.

Still doesn’t account for why the camera says it has focus when I have the box over the eye yet misses every time.

Im not being combative, hope it doesn’t come off that way. I’m just trying to get answers. Thanks!

I can find a focus point on the shirt near the elbow in some pics at 100% (e.g. 3rd image), meaning there is severe front focus. Additionally some have motion blur, too.

That part is definitely more in focus...but it’s not truly in focus. If you saw one that was sharp you’d be able to tell.

But yeah, her arm movement might the the culprit on that shot. Can’t rule that out totally on that one because she was moving her arms.

And yeah my camera just seems to front focus constantly. It has never once back focused that I could tell in hundreds of shots.

HFLM wrote:

A firmware update was released today. Maybe they secretly dealt with the problem?

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-firmware-update-for-the-sony-a7iii/

Interesting!! I’m going to give it a try.

I did the FW update to 1.1.

Was hopeful, but no change. Unfortuantely.

PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 7,480

ATLshooter wrote:

As others suggested, your copy probably is faulty in that specific area, kind of rare as the only case I have heard so far.  I just received my A7r III however earlier in office and I will not expect having this issue.  Even my A7r II works pretty well in eye-AF with native lenses.

Hope soon you will release a new copy and test again.  Good luck.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
kamituel
kamituel Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

PWPhotography wrote:

ATLshooter wrote:

As others suggested, your copy probably is faulty in that specific area, kind of rare as the only case I have heard so far.

I'm aware of one such case more: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1540503

-- hide signature --

kamituel wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

ATLshooter wrote:

As others suggested, your copy probably is faulty in that specific area, kind of rare as the only case I have heard so far.

I'm aware of one such case more: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1540503

Wellll..... That link really bummed me out. He said he got to try TWO new bodies and they both exhibited the same issue.

Now I'm even more discouraged. I'm not sure what the problem is but I can rule out me or my settings after today. I took the camera to a local sony rep and let them use it....same issue.

Well I called sony and after another hour+ doing the same troubleshooting I did the other day, they now say they camera is faulty.

They want me to return the camera and wait on a fix. I'm obviously not going to do that so I offered to send it back for a refund from sony. I'm supposed to be getting a call back within 24 hours about that.

With all that said, a guy on another forum is having the EXACT same issue I'm having. He got to test a few different bodies with the same results. That really discourages me and makes me think my new body isn't going to be any better.

Before you say it's me or my settings, I let a Sony rep play with the camera today. He couldn't get any more shots in focus that I could, despite him setting up the camera exactly the way he wanted.

I'm at a loss at this point. I really, really hope my new body comes in tomorrow and fixes my issue. If not, I don't know what I'm going to do. But I have to have a camera that focuses.

Edgar_in_Indy
Edgar_in_Indy Regular Member • Posts: 354

Well, I suppose if it's a prevalent problem, then in a way that's a good thing. It means that Sony will be motivated to address and correct it quickly. And the fact they eye AF  has worked well on past Sony bodies certainly implies that they are capable of implementing it in the A7 III.

This is a brand new model that is just making its way into customers' hands, so I guess it's shouldn't be too surprising if there are a few glitches. The important thing is how quickly Sony responds to it. And with this being such an important model, I expect they will be motivated to fix any big problems very quickly.

Edgar_in_Indy's gear list:Edgar_in_Indy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a6500
samut Junior Member • Posts: 34

I might have missed a post or two in this topic but have you tried installing the new firmware which came out today?

slstr Senior Member • Posts: 1,012

make a note of your batch/serial number.. is it same batch as the one reported on freedmiranda?

slstr's gear list:slstr's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +12 more

samut wrote:

I might have missed a post or two in this topic but have you tried installing the new firmware which came out today?

Yeah I did the update and tested again earlier. No change. Sadly.

slstr wrote:

make a note of your batch/serial number.. is it same batch as the one reported on freedmiranda?

My serial # does start with the 377 prefix that he posted.

So there may may be something to that.

A London Tone New Member • Posts: 21

ATLshooter wrote:

slstr wrote:

Turns out mine does too.

I've still not had a chance to properly assess the images I took at the weekend (I work out of town during the week), but based on the initial review of them in Lightroom they a) did look slightly better than they had done on the LCD screen and b) I'd started to come to the conclusion that maybe the copy of the 70-200 2.8 I rented was just particularly soft at the 200mm end. However, having looked at the shots you posted of your daughter, what I saw was very reminiscent of some of the shots of mine I was looking at a few days ago, and mine were all shot (as I mentioned before) at at least 1/250s (up to 1/1600s or so when I was outside) and were of people that were barely moving, if at all.

My body is actually being replaced by Jessops in the UK anyway because of a persistent issue I've been having with the camera crashing and rebooting when I'm trying to use focus check and another weird little quirk where it'll fire off two shots instead of one when I'm not using a burst mode/don't have bracketing turned on etc. So I'm going to hold out hope that when I get my new body next week it doesn't have any of these issues and that batch starting 377 was made the day after the Christmas party or something. Part of me would like to take one for the cause and get the camera into Sony's hands myself, but I don't have the spare time right now to go down that route.

dazecoop New Member • Posts: 2

A London Tone wrote:

ATLshooter wrote:

slstr wrote:

Turns out mine does too.

I've still not had a chance to properly assess the images I took at the weekend (I work out of town during the week), but based on the initial review of them in Lightroom they a) did look slightly better than they had done on the LCD screen and b) I'd started to come to the conclusion that maybe the copy of the 70-200 2.8 I rented was just particularly soft at the 200mm end. However, having looked at the shots you posted of your daughter, what I saw was very reminiscent of some of the shots of mine I was looking at a few days ago, and mine were all shot (as I mentioned before) at at least 1/250s (up to 1/1600s or so when I was outside) and were of people that were barely moving, if at all.

My body is actually being replaced by Jessops in the UK anyway because of a persistent issue I've been having with the camera crashing and rebooting when I'm trying to use focus check and another weird little quirk where it'll fire off two shots instead of one when I'm not using a burst mode/don't have bracketing turned on etc. So I'm going to hold out hope that when I get my new body next week it doesn't have any of these issues and that batch starting 377 was made the day after the Christmas party or something. Part of me would like to take one for the cause and get the camera into Sony's hands myself, but I don't have the spare time right now to go down that route.

I've just had to register an account to post this - but I have tested my camera this morning (also with serial number starting 377), and mine exhibits the same issue as well.

Tested with FE 85/1.8 @ f1.8 at a close distance to subject. My camera was pre-ordered from Jessops in the UK. I updated to firmware 1.01 yesterday, so this issue is still present with the new firmware.

I've created a thread about the issue on the Sony A7iii Facebook group just now; https://www.facebook.com/groups/A7III/permalink/1840892369554021/

Hoping to find someone who DOESN'T have a serial number starting in 377, then hopefully they can test their camera to see if this batch is indeed at fault.

I've had my camera a month and only just seen this thread & only just found this issue. Its note worthy to say that at narrower apertures and/or further away from the subject, the issue isn't as apparent. With my 24-70/2.8 GM on a full-body shot, the DoF is wide enough to not "see" this issue.

I'm subscribing to this thread in the hope of a fix from Sony ASAP!

kamituel
kamituel Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

dazecoop wrote:

A London Tone wrote:

ATLshooter wrote:

slstr wrote:

Turns out mine does too.

I've just had to register an account to post this - but I have tested my camera this morning (also with serial number starting 377), and mine exhibits the same issue as well.

Tested with FE 85/1.8 @ f1.8 at a close distance to subject. My camera was pre-ordered from Jessops in the UK. I updated to firmware 1.01 yesterday, so this issue is still present with the new firmware.

I've created a thread about the issue on the Sony A7iii Facebook group just now; https://www.facebook.com/groups/A7III/permalink/1840892369554021/

Hoping to find someone who DOESN'T have a serial number starting in 377, then hopefully they can test their camera to see if this batch is indeed at fault.

I've had my camera a month and only just seen this thread & only just found this issue. Its note worthy to say that at narrower apertures and/or further away from the subject, the issue isn't as apparent. With my 24-70/2.8 GM on a full-body shot, the DoF is wide enough to not "see" this issue.

I'm subscribing to this thread in the hope of a fix from Sony ASAP!

Well, so this is getting a bit concerning. We now have 3 separate accounts of what might be the very same issue. Upside is there's a chance it's indeed specific to one batch of A7 III's.

Few questions:

- Does this happen to you with any lens, or only 24-70 GM?

- Does it always front focus?

- Is AF accurate when not using eye-AF (e.g. using flexible spot)?

- Does it miss the focus with every person/face you shoot, or is this issue specific to only some faces?

- Could you post some sample shots (make sure you get a green box over the eye)?

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads