After all this time? - Always

Started Apr 11, 2018 | User reviews
TyphoonTW
TyphoonTW Senior Member • Posts: 1,484
After all this time? - Always

My 6D turned 5 years old last month. Tomorrow I'll go to pick up my brand new 5D4, and the 6D will officially retire and be relegated to second body/backup duties, even though I'll still carry it with me abroad just to increase the number of countries where we've been together.

When I bought it brand new in 2013 (funnily enough at the same price it has today, due to currency fluctuations and Canon's price increases last year) it replaced a Nikon D7100 that I had never enjoyed using due to a viewfinder that I simply couldn't adjust to fit my eyesight.

Over the course of these years I used it in all kinds of different situations, some of which aren't exactly the 6D's specialty.

There have been very few situations where the 6D clearly made me think that I needed a better camera, and most of those situations had to do with video and general Liveview performance.

While it's true that in 2018 the 6D is "old tech", I believe that for the prices it can be found second hand it's an absolute steal for anyone interested in using a full frame camera. While the 6Dii didn't increase the number of 6D bodies on the second market in my area, the recent release of the Sony A(something) definitely increased their numbers and I've seen some going for 650$. That price for this camera is bonkers.

"Yeah sure, the sensor is ok, ISO performance is not bad...but the 6D can't shoot sports!"

Yeah, about that...

Last year I shot the Taipei Universiade with the 6D, and after that I was invited (then hired) to take photos of the national volleyball leagues. I used the 80D as backup camera for less than 10% of the photos, the 6D carried the day so I'm not buying the whole:"The 6D can't shoot sports" stuff. I'm far (FAR) from being an experienced sport photographer, and if I can go by with a 6D I don't see why anyone else couldn't do it. Sure, the 6D's tracking is non existent and in some situations I'd have much preferred a better af system, but in a cost/benefits comparison I decided to forgo any upgrade for a long time, mainly because 95% of my photos are used online and don't require 500megapixels each, so a bit of cropping isn't a huge issue. The center af point is majestic, while the other 8 I think I haven't used them in months...so some cropping is often needed for better composition. The 5% of my photos that are printed are usually group shots or events, where cropping isn't needed and 20mp are plenty.

So, why upgrading? Well, I have an 80D, and when I tried the 6Dii I had the feeling that what I was holding was an 80D with full frame sensor. That's not a bad thing at all, but far from what I was looking for. The 5D4 seems like a body I could be using for many, many years to come, and it brings to the table so many improvements over the 6D that now that prices dropped a little bit (I got it for 2500$ with local warranty) I decided it was worth investing into something better, especially considering I'll have a few sport events abroad and having 5D4 + 6D + 80D makes me feel a lot more comfortable than 6D + 80D.

I think that reviewing the 6D in 2018 discussing its spec would be a waste of time as it's clearly outgunned by basically any other full frame camera released in recent years. What I do believe though, is that for anyone looking for a sub 1000$ full frame camera that can do pretty much everything (apart from reliably focus on birds in flight) a second hand 6D is a fantastic option, much cheaper than other cameras and with Canon's lens selection which is second to none.

Tomorrow I'll come back home with the 5D4's box, but my 6D already knows that nothing will ever take its place in my heart.

-- hide signature --

This is where I write stuff: http://randomibis.wordpress.com/
This is where I upload stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/

TyphoonTW's gear list:TyphoonTW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Canon EOS 6D
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Sep 17, 2012
TyphoonTW's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rick9814911 Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: After all this time? - Always

Excellent review. And I agree for under $1k it's an awesome camera. I have a 6D currently and it's still a great camera. Live view is the main reason I want to upgrade. And more focus points is nice.

But for the price, it's hard to beat the original 6D.

rick9814911's gear list:rick9814911's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,282

I was an early adopter to the 6D, I must say my first steps into full frame blew my mind the increase in ISO and meaning to be able to shoot in lowlight/ darkness the high iso looked so good compared to anything a APC-sensor could provide at the time.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams
Believe in Karma.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
JerryriggedTECH
JerryriggedTECH Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

I shoot 5D4, but keep a 6D as my 2nd camera. I still get awesome shots and just as many keepers with the 6D as the 5D4! There is something to be said for the simplicity of the 6D.  For example, selecting focus points on the 6D is significantly faster than moving around the focus points on the 5D4! Notice you rarely hear people complain about the 6D - except for maybe wanting more focus points! Still an excellent, inexpensive camera that will be awesome entry level camera for new photographers moving in to full frame.

JerryriggedTECH's gear list:JerryriggedTECH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
The Fat Fish
The Fat Fish Senior Member • Posts: 1,263

I must admit I do love my 6D. I’ve been selling all my Canon gear lately but the one body to remain is the 6D. This is partly due to the low resale value but it’s also because it’s a great camera. I’ve also kept the one favourite Canon lens which will live on my 6D when it’s not being adapted.

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of mediocre landscape photography, check out mine:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexwedlake/

The Fat Fish's gear list:The Fat Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
porters1 Regular Member • Posts: 222

I love this review.  Thanks for posting it!

porters1's gear list:porters1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon 6D Mark II
Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 2,357

Totally agree. The amazing thing is that 6d is actually still very current camera in 2018 with competitive ISO performance, wifi and gps. I too have upgraded to 5div over a year ago because I needed video with AF. I thought I’d keep 6d as a second body but actually sold it soon after because after handling 5div I could no longer go back to 6d even for a second body. DPAF is very powerul and will change the way you approach photography and videography. I would like to have a smaller 2nd body but I need 4k as I would never shoot family videos in 1080p that look mediocre today and will be barey watchable years from now so why even bother. Canon has not releaed any smaller 4k capable cameras to date (M50 is just a joke) so I’m waiting for one.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
whvick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,623

I am glad to see this review of 6D as I just bought a refurbished one from Canon. My much loved 5D died and Canon has dropped them for repair, which is understandable considering their age. So I had to choose between a used 5D for about $400 USD with no warranty or even repairable, or a 6D for $899, and one year of warranty

so far the jump from a 15 year old camera to a 5 year old model is impressive. Low light pictures are great, and the quiet shutter is very nice.

Th jpegs look good straight from the camera.

I did like the size of the grip better on the five D, but I have giant hands. It will be a good excuse for a battery grip

thanks guys

wish me luck with my new toy!

whvick

whvick's gear list:whvick's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +9 more
escrime Junior Member • Posts: 33

Great review. I have had a 6D for a couple of years and love it. I bought a 7D2 earlier this year for wildlife/action, but the 6D has noticeably less noise at high ISOs. Both models can now be purchased for under £1K and offer fantastic IQ and value.

What your photos show is how a skilled photographer can get great images from a camera that does not have a zillion autofocus points, 'eye focus' etc. Respect!

escrime's gear list:escrime's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +1 more
Marek M Senior Member • Posts: 2,101
This is one great post.

Full of modesty and great story with great pictures.

TyphoonTW
OP TyphoonTW Senior Member • Posts: 1,484

escrime wrote:

What your photos show is how a skilled photographer can get great images from a camera that does not have a zillion autofocus points, 'eye focus' etc. Respect!

Using a 6D for volleyball and trying to get well timed shots was like learning how to ride a bicycle without training wheels on a muddy mine field...it's doable! Though there are definitely better tools for the job.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that some of my photos definitely required a bit of luck in regards to their timing. Moving to the 5D4 clearly reduced the amount of luck required, both because of the better/faster af and for the huge bump in fps. It's not as fast as 1Dx2, but compared to the 6D it's a huge improvement and it allowed me to get far more keepers than the 6D. But I still love the 6D, there's no denying that.

Ps: hovering on the exif of the volleyball shot from last year's Universiade, it reminded me of the settings: 1/2000th, f2.8, iso 1250...my God, I miss that arena... Now I have I have to shoot at 1/800th or 1/1000th, f2.8 and iso 5000 for the national league, which plays in smaller and darker arenas... -___-'

Hopefully next year we'll have some matches there.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
TyphoonTW
Re: This is one great post.

Thank you ^__^

-- hide signature --

George Zip Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

Excellent review.

‘My favourite photo is the streamer photo.

George Zip's gear list:George Zip's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more
matteroner
matteroner Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

A 6d with ML is perfect for me.

-- hide signature --

@photomat76

matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +11 more
SETI
SETI Regular Member • Posts: 178

Thanks for review! I wanted to sell my old(2013) Canon 6D and buy new camera. Tried 5DmkIV, Ds/r and 6D mkII. Now I decided to stay with 5Ds and 6D. It's just what I need. Canon 5Ds/r has color science very close to 5D/6D.

SETI's gear list:SETI's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
TyphoonTW

The price for a second hand 6D here in Taiwan is in the 5/600$ range for a body in decent conditions. Mine has a small crack on the screen (fell on rocks by a river a few years ago, no damage apart from the screen), so if I decided to sell I'd make even less than that. At this point I'm not even considering to sell it.

I can keep the 40mm pancake on it and bring it with me if I'm going for a short ride, it shares all accessories (batteries, charger etc) with the 5D4 and if I sold it I'd have to buy a few small items again....it's just not worth it for me.

Plus, the sentimental value 

-- hide signature --

a_hatzis New Member • Posts: 8

TyphoonTW, thanks for the wonderful narrative!

After a looong debate with myself and after reading the thread I decided to pull the trigger on a 6D kit with a 24-70 f4L, bargain price here in Japan. Will be sharing my 80D and the 6D with my wife, hopefully getting the best out of the FF+modern APS-C worlds!

a_hatzis's gear list:a_hatzis's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +3 more
George Zip Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

TyphoonTW wrote:

The price for a second hand 6D here in Taiwan is in the 5/600$ range for a body in decent conditions. Mine has a small crack on the screen (fell on rocks by a river a few years ago, no damage apart from the screen), so if I decided to sell I'd make even less than that. At this point I'm not even considering to sell it.

I can keep the 40mm pancake on it and bring it with me if I'm going for a short ride, it shares all accessories (batteries, charger etc) with the 5D4 and if I sold it I'd have to buy a few small items again....it's just not worth it for me.

Plus, the sentimental value

Nice

i tired all sorts of small  cameras as my go everywhere camera. In the end I gave up as nothing (for me) is like having a full frame camera for the look and IQ that I like.

That 6d 40mm combo is awesome. That 40 mm has extraordinary for the money.

I actually do the same thing as you but with a 5d3 as I have 2x 5d4s for my paid work. However a 6d would be even better as a walkaround camera as it's lighter and smaller.

George Zip's gear list:George Zip's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more
Innocentius Contributing Member • Posts: 901

A true lovestory to a fine camera with amazing shots to proof it.

I feel the very same way about my 1Ds mk III combo with 85mm F1.8

I know I can upgrade, but I don't see the need... yet.

And if I will upgrade, I will feel like cheating.

Innocentius's gear list:Innocentius's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 6010 Sigma DP1x Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sigma DP3 Merrill +10 more
juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

I bought it second handed a few days ago really really cheap.

The af is trash. I feel like going 10 years to the past.

The colors are just beautiful, much better than my a73, both in jpg and raw. The color depth of the camera, and the natural way it renders is cinematic and awesome.

The noise is the same as the a73. The same even at 10,000 iso in raw.

The dynamic range is worse at iso base compared to the a73, but the same at higher isos.

The level of detail, deactivating sharpening and noise reduction, is really close to the a73. The a73 has a lot of moire and false color, A LOT that I didn't realise until comparing results with other cameras. The detail in the Canon sensor is more honest, true to life. The Sony feels like the raw is sharpened beforehand, like haloing everywhere, enhanced edges, etc.

The a73 has more pop with light (because of the Dr you can edit amazing photos showing all the depth in shadows, for example), but the colors are flat. With the canon, the light is much flatter(less dynamic range) but the camera is just beautiful in tonal gradations, much better than the sony a73, Sony a7r2, or Sony a71 (the other full frame cameras I've owned).

The jpg out of the camera are really nice, no need to edit for day to day pictures.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads