No more excitement over Canon's 7D III ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,900
No more excitement over Canon's 7D III ?

According to DPR's article, the new Canon 7DMKIII should arrive before summer.

Hey, summer is just around the corner, yet no more discussion on this camera.

I'm excited, how about you?

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thetusk Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: No more excitement over Canon's 7D III ?

Hello. What article?

thetusk's gear list:thetusk's gear list
Canon EOS M10 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
AminF Forum Member • Posts: 71

Summer's not around the corner where I live!  I must live on the wrong corner!

If we get a decent summer in the UK this year, I'll be astonished (delighted, but astonished).

I'm looking forward to seeing the FF mirrorless offerings from Canon and Nikon, if they launch this year. Can't afford any of them (and not allowed by 'er indoors), but still want to see what they come up with to make me feel that I have inadequate photographic gear!

BigBen08 wrote:

AminF's gear list:AminF's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic LX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX500 Nikon D750 +22 more
an_also
an_also Regular Member • Posts: 202

I’m awaiting it as it could potentially be my 80D replacement for wildlife.

an_also's gear list:an_also's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
OP BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,900

AminF wrote:

Summer's not around the corner where I live! I must live on the wrong corner!

For me (USA) summer is June 21, or about 3 months away.

If we get a decent summer in the UK this year, I'll be astonished (delighted, but astonished).

I'm looking forward to seeing the FF mirrorless offerings from Canon and Nikon, if they launch this year. Can't afford any of them (and not allowed by 'er indoors), but still want to see what they come up with to make me feel that I have inadequate photographic gear!

BigBen08 wrote:

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 7,095

AminF wrote: Summer's not around the corner where I live! I must live on the wrong corner!

Here (Minnesota USA) Spring has refused to arrive on schedule. It's supposed to snow today.

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,549
Unfortunately for Canon....

their releases or promised releases seem only to be generating heat for Canon users.  I think it's unfortunate, but not so surprising.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +28 more
Re: Unfortunately for Canon....

tex wrote:

their releases or promised releases seem only to be generating heat for Canon users. I think it's unfortunate, but not so surprising.

True, and it's not the first time.

I notice the 7DII body only is becoming hard to find from major retailers. Mostly available as a bundled kit. Perhaps a sign?

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,550

BigBen08 wrote:

It was an article based on a rumor, not any info released from Canon.

TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

The specs are not made public but 'more video oriented' and 'tilted touch screen' make me nervous. We as wildlife and sports shooters don't need this fancy stuff.

The AF is already great, ok AF could be a bit faster and better and more AF tweaking is also nice but these are minor issues.

What are the biggest downsides of the 7DII (still an amazing camera of course)?

1. Noise

2. Dynamic Range

All birdshooters have to crop, and when you crop noise increases and the lack of dynamic range shows. So, these are bigger problems than it seems.

Let them fix that, please

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,330

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

The specs are not made public but 'more video oriented' and 'tilted touch screen' make me nervous. We as wildlife and sports shooters don't need this fancy stuff.

The AF is already great, ok AF could be a bit faster and better and more AF tweaking is also nice but these are minor issues.

1. Noise

2. Dynamic Range

All birdshooters have to crop, and when you crop noise increases and the lack of dynamic range shows. So, these are bigger problems than it seems.

How does cropping increase noise ? Surely it just make  what is already there more apparent along any other artefacts.

TheBlackGrouse

Dareshooter wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

1. Noise

2. Dynamic Range

How does cropping increase noise ? Surely it just make what is already there more apparent along any other artefacts.

Yes, I should have said: makes noise more visible.

This applies to other artefacts too, but the noise effect is quite dominant.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,550

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

I'll take the tilt touch screen, it's great when shooting a stationary bird with a long lens.  I won't object to better video either.  The APS-C sensor, I think, is getting maxed out on IQ so improving existing features is a good move.

Mark

TheBlackGrouse

Mark B. wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

I'll take the tilt touch screen, it's great when shooting a stationary bird with a long lens. I won't object to better video either. The APS-C sensor, I think, is getting maxed out on IQ so improving existing features is a good move.

Mark

Fair enough, but if we look at priorities?

For instance, my first priority is noise, second is dynamic range, etc. Better video is always nice but we are photographers 

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

What's your opinion if Canon put the sensor from the 80D into the 7D III ?

It has 4 more mp and better dynamic range than the sensor in the 7D II.

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 7,095

BigBen08 wrote:

I don't think a December rumor about what may happen six months later warrants much attention. Rumors that far out tend to be pretty inaccurate.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 20,552

BigBen08 wrote:

AminF wrote:

Summer's not around the corner where I live! I must live on the wrong corner!

For me (USA) summer is June 21, or about 3 months away.

Those who live well below the equator and consider summer to start in December need to realize that it starts in June, and they should thank the earth that it has enough gravity to keep them from falling down to the bottom of the universe.

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

I would disagree. f/8 OVF PDAF that is center-only and prone towards hunting in non-ideal situations doesn't qualify as "great" in 2018.

I'd really like good f/8 OVF PDAF at all points, and if I can be greedy, f/11, centerpoint.

Dareshooter wrote:

How does cropping increase noise ? Surely it just make what is already there more apparent along any other artefacts.

Noise does not necessarily mean pixel noise. Noise is scaleable, in imaging practice.

Do you reject the idea that the 5Ds has 0.66 stops less noise than the 70D at the same ISO, and that the D800 has 0.58 stops less than the D7000?
In both cases, the latter is for all intents and purposes a crop of the former, with about the same pixel-level characteristics. Bill Claff measures noise for crop mode in FF cameras, which is based on a similar principle.

If you look at two prints, both taken with Tri-X, using the same exposure, with the same FOV, but one uses a 8x10 sheet of film, and the other a 110 film frame, do they have the same noise/graininess?

For any given sensor and ISO (or film), the final image level noise depends on relative exposure, and how much of the sensor area you use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads