Corel Aftershot Pro 2 Raw Problem

Started Apr 7, 2018 | Discussions
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 6,531
Corel Aftershot Pro 2 Raw Problem

Received a free copy of Aftershot Pro 2 with my new Wacom tablet, but have found that Aftershot Pro 2 cannot see or open Canon CR2 RAW files.

Since both my camera are Canons, the Aftershot software seems to have no value as I am committed to shooting RAW these days...

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

Thanks in advance for your replies...!!!

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,788
Re: Corel Aftershot Pro 2 Raw Problem

The product description claims compatibility with Canon raw formats so perhaps you should contact Corel?

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Chaplain Mark
OP Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 6,531

bmoag wrote:

The product description claims compatibility with Canon raw formats so perhaps you should contact Corel?

I might indeed try that.

A quick read through some posts on the Corel user forums turned up a few threads expressing the same issue, with no resolution yet .

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------

DStan
DStan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,726

Chaplain Mark wrote:

bmoag wrote:

I might indeed try that.

A quick read through some posts on the Corel user forums turned up a few threads expressing the same issue, with no resolution yet .

It's not a good RAW processor. I have Pro 3 and don't use it. Since I own PSP 2018 I figured it might work well, I was disappointed. Are you on Windows and get annoying popup ads from Corel?

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()
In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.
http://standavidson.com/post/Birds

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,819

Perhaps your cameras are too new to be compatible with that old software version?

I uninstalled Aftershot 3 for a different reason:  there was no way to turn off the XMP feature that left unneeded and unwanted xmp files in my photo archive folders.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Chaplain Mark

Are you on Windows and get annoying popup ads from Corel?

If pop-ups occur, I will un-install the software faster than you can say "No Thanks..!"

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
--------------

yanisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,552
3 is current, 2 is very old

I think the current version is 3.3.0.297.

jtstanco Regular Member • Posts: 313

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Received a free copy of Aftershot Pro 2 with my new Wacom tablet, but have found that Aftershot Pro 2 cannot see or open Canon CR2 RAW files.

Since both my camera are Canons, the Aftershot software seems to have no value as I am committed to shooting RAW these days...

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

Thanks in advance for your replies...!!!

Here is a link to the list of cameras supported by Aftershot Pro 2.
https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/articles/219077768--AfterShot-2-AfterShot-Pro-2-List-of-full-camera-support

As was pointed out above, Aftershot Pro 2 is an older version of the software.  Is you camera on the list of supported models?

jtstanco's gear list:jtstanco's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
Chaplain Mark

jtstanco wrote:

As was pointed out above, Aftershot Pro 2 is an older version of the software. Is you camera on the list of supported models?

Upon a second reading of the list of supported cameras, my two Canons indeed are not supported...

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
--------------

DStan

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Are you on Windows and get annoying popup ads from Corel?

If pop-ups occur, I will un-install the software faster than you can say "No Thanks..!"

The annoying popups can easily be squelched by going into the windows scheduler and disabling the CorelHelper tasks. Took a moment. Unfortunately this is a more recent behavior and I already own 3 of their products that I need, otherwise I'd kick them to the curb.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()
In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.

DStan

Chaplain Mark wrote:

jtstanco wrote:

As was pointed out above, Aftershot Pro 2 is an older version of the software. Is you camera on the list of supported models?

Upon a second reading of the list of supported cameras, my two Canons indeed are not supported...

If your cameras are on the Pro 3 product, they've taken a page out of the Adobe playbook.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()

grcolts Veteran Member • Posts: 3,456

DStan wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

bmoag wrote:

I might indeed try that.

It's not a good RAW processor. I have Pro 3 and don't use it. Since I own PSP 2018 I figured it might work well, I was disappointed. Are you on Windows and get annoying popup ads from Corel?

I have used ASP3 for years and have never ever had a pop-up show itself while using their software. I am on a Mac.

DStan

grcolts wrote:

DStan wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

bmoag wrote:

I might indeed try that.

I have used ASP3 for years and have never ever had a pop-up show itself while using their software. I am on a Mac.

I think the spamming is a Windoze thing and related to other products like PSP or Painter Ultimate of which I have both.

-- hide signature --

Stan ;o()

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,819

DStan wrote:

grcolts wrote:

DStan wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

bmoag wrote:

I might indeed try that.

I think the spamming is a Windoze thing and related to other products like PSP or Painter Ultimate of which I have both.

There were in-program messages, nagging offers to upgrade to Aftershot Pro.

I recall it being easy to turn off in the Preferences menu.  Later I uninstalled Aftershot anyway.  With so many programs installed on my machine, all competing for photo editing tasks, there's no reason to keep one that cluttered my archive folders with unwanted files.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Aftershot Pro 3 review

You might consider updating to 3. Probably inexpensive to go from 2 to 3 as an upgrade. Here is a review of 3.

https://digital-photography-school.com/software-review-aftershot-pro-3-corel/

Chaplain Mark
Re: Aftershot Pro 3 review

yanisha wrote:

You might consider updating to 3. Probably inexpensive to go from 2 to 3 as an upgrade. Here is a review of 3.

I clicked on the link, but the page loaded with so many ads, my browser crashed.....

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
--------------

Chaplain Mark wrote:

yanisha wrote:

I clicked on the link, but the page loaded with so many ads, my browser crashed.....

I only see one ad and no crashing.  Just like your very old version of Aftershot Pro you may also need to update your browser.  They are free.   Using old, buggy browsers and other software causes lots of unnecessary heartburn.

Chaplain Mark

Updating my computer at work is not an option , but I did look at the web page you posted, on my phone.

Gonna contact Corel regarding pricing to  upgrade to AfterShot Pro 3 from my current version.

Thanks for the tip...!!

-- hide signature --

Chaplain Mark
-----
--------------

dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,895

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Updating my computer at work is not an option , but I did look at the web page you posted, on my phone.

Gonna contact Corel regarding pricing to upgrade to AfterShot Pro 3 from my current version.

Thanks for the tip...!!

Are you familiar with DNG?  Its a free converter that will convert any RAW file to an intermediate file with a .DNG extension, and any version of any RAW processor should be able to open it.

Google Adobe DNG for details.

Chaplain Mark

dwalby wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Gonna contact Corel regarding pricing to upgrade to AfterShot Pro 3 from my current version.

Thanks for the tip...!!

Are you familiar with DNG? Its a free converter that will convert any RAW file to an intermediate file with a .DNG extension, and any version of any RAW processor should be able to open it.

Google Adobe DNG for details.

Thanks for your reply, but I would rather have a one-program solution in my workflow for d.a.m.

I downloaded a trial copy of Aftershot Pro 3, and also have a dialogue box within Aftershot Pro 2 which points to upgrading to Pro 3 for $30.00.

Thanks again,

-- hide signature --

Chaplain Mark
-----
--------------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads