Adapted Glass on a7III - Just remember cont. shooting drive mode is locked to 3fps (Slow)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Irvz Regular Member • Posts: 117
Adapted Glass on a7III - Just remember cont. shooting drive mode is locked to 3fps (Slow)

Hey all,

There are a lot of videos out there now which show how awesome the Mk III generation of Sony alphas are at AF (especially with eye AF). I'll give a famous example of Jason Lanier's video: https://youtu.be/QfFxbFJ9jdM

What he is showing is the tracking using the 'Single Shooting' drive mode. What he doesnt show is using Continuous shooting  drive modes (burst fire). Sony (or perhaps a limitation of the adapters) locks the continuous shooting speed with Continuous AF at 3fps which is the 'Slow' drive mode. Mind you it still can use the medium/high/high+ setting but the AF just won't track well. That is the one limitation that most people need to know that are just getting the camera hoping to adapt lenses for burst shooting.

Now that said, the Sigma MC-11 Adapter with Sigma supported lenses will run like a native lens and you can use the faster burst shooting modes no problem. The only downside to this for me is Sigma doesnt have an updated 70-200 f/2.8. Which sucks because I really like the Tamron 70-200G2, ive tried it and it AF's really snappy and accurately on the A7III and MC-11 adapter. I still might get the lens knowing I really cant rely on it for burst shooting like sports unless i know the depth of field will be in focus.

Anyway, this limitation doesnt really diminish how awesome the AF with adapted lenses is and wont matter if you just only need Single shot drive mode.

Cheers.

p.s If I am wrong, (which would be super awesome if I was because that way I would be able to just buy the Tamron 70-200G2 and be so happy). Then please guide us on how to get Cont. AF to work in continuous drive modes (burst modes) at higher than 3fps (slow).

Irvz's gear list:Irvz's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +6 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 6,474
Re: Adapted Glass on a7III - Just remember cont. shooting drive mode is locked to 3fps (Slow)

The Metabones IV/V adapters may also do the high speed continuous on the A7III. The LA-EA3 with updated firmware probably does as well... but the Tamron G2 isn't available in A mount.

-- hide signature --

A7-II with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T +15 more
cyberstudio
cyberstudio Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Re: Adapted Glass on a7III - Just remember cont. shooting drive mode is locked to 3fps (Slow)

SQLGuy wrote:

The Metabones IV/V adapters may also do the high speed continuous on the A7III. The LA-EA3 with updated firmware probably does as well... but the Tamron G2 isn't available in A mount.

At this point in time, 10fps adapted lenses is reserved for A9, or as has been mentioned, a Sigma Global Vision lens on MC-11. I think the OP talked his desire to use the Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 but wouldn't get 10fps and wished Sigma would make a new 70-200/2.8. These summarized the issues very clearly.

-- hide signature --

Bo-Ming / conurus

davelok
davelok Senior Member • Posts: 2,212

Is the AF tracking at 3 fps good enough for birds in flight? How about subjects approaching head-on (or moving away)?

davelok's gear list:davelok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +21 more
Tirpitz666 Regular Member • Posts: 478

Well, already Sigma glass + MC 11 in AF-C high even on the A7III sounds like a pretty big deal to me.

Any evidence that Metabones already does the same?

I still have to decide which of the two to grab..

DaFireMedic Senior Member • Posts: 1,113
Should be fine ....

for me until I can replace the rest of my EF lenses with Sony. The action stuff I shoot is confined to a relatively small area, and I've been shooting with adapted lenses on the a6300 for 2 years now. I generally shoot in short, fast bursts and don't rely on the AF to keep up. I then pick the best shots of the burst and rarely (if ever) miss a shot due to the AF missing.

DaFireMedic's gear list:DaFireMedic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 6,474

cyberstudio wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

At this point in time, 10fps adapted lenses is reserved for A9, or as has been mentioned, a Sigma Global Vision lens on MC-11. I think the OP talked his desire to use the Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 but wouldn't get 10fps and wished Sigma would make a new 70-200/2.8. These summarized the issues very clearly.

Hi Bo,

By "high" I was thinking of more than the 2.5 FPS limit that's seen on the A7II. Does the A7III not even get interframe focusing at the mid (5 FPS) speed?

-- hide signature --

A7-II with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T +15 more

Nope, apparently inter focus above 3fps with the A7III is reserved to the MC-11+Sigma Glass combo

twomonger Regular Member • Posts: 158

Tirpitz666 wrote:

Nope, apparently inter focus above 3fps with the A7III is reserved to the MC-11+Sigma Glass combo

The Metabones advanced mode should also enable full FPS with adapted lenses, because it is emulating a native FE lens. The AF probably won’t be able to keep up, but the adapter should enable full FPS

twomonger's gear list:twomonger's gear list
Sony a7R II Pentax K-1 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +2 more

So the MB would allow high fps burst but with CDAF only right? So most likely as you say AF just won't cut it.

MC-11 should instead allow high fps + Hybrid AF at least in the centre, is it correct?

P.s. anyway mechanical shutter will be limited to 5 fps no?

HansHa New Member • Posts: 20

Tirpitz666 wrote:

So the MB would allow high fps burst but with CDAF only right? So most likely as you say AF just won't cut it.

MC-11 should instead allow high fps + Hybrid AF at least in the centre, is it correct?

P.s. anyway mechanical shutter will be limited to 5 fps no?

mechanical shutter on the A7III allows 10 fps.

HansHa's gear list:HansHa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads