At this price, you can't beat it.

Started Apr 3, 2018 | User reviews
Swartzwerk
Swartzwerk New Member • Posts: 1
At this price, you can't beat it.

Owning a Canon 5D Mark II, I don't even look at Nikkor lenses. So my comparison really a Canon 16-35mm or Sigma 18-35mm. When comparing Sigma, they started at 18mm so it didn't give have as wide angle as I wanted, even if it has a very wide aperture.  Canon was more expensive by hundred of dollars for the Mark II and nearly twice the price for the Mark III when compared to the Tamron SP 15-30mm.  DXO charts show the Mark II not even performing as well as the Tamron and the Tamron has vibration control, Canon does not have image stabilization on their 16-35mm.  I've owned Tamron lenses in the past and loved them, so brand awareness did help in my decision to buy the Tamron SP 15-30mm VC USD lens.

I'm loving it so far.  It is not a light lens, it's pretty heavy, but it's solid and sharp.  The quality for the price is going to be hard to beat.  I did see that Rokinon released a prime wide angle with image stabilization and it's weather sealed for ~$800, but i wanted a bit more versatility in a lens than a prime for traveling with.  Look on Instagram using #tamron1530 and you'll see a bunch of fantastic landscape shots using this lens.

It's definitely not a portrait lens, you'll find your subjects look alien like even when you center their body or face, but that's not what this lens was designed for.  Landscapes are absolutely amazing with this lens.

Swartzwerk's gear list:Swartzwerk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 +12 more
Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha DT • A012
Announced: Sep 12, 2014
Swartzwerk's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chuvarsky
Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 2,340
+1

Agree

-- hide signature --

Dick

Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +7 more
JeffGM Regular Member • Posts: 247
Re: At this price, you can't beat it.

I have to agree! I use this lens on my Sony A7ll. Most decent full frame Sony E mount lenses are out of my price range. The Tamron 15-30 isn't cheap but at least I don't have to take out a loan to get one and it is a very nice lens.

JeffGM's gear list:JeffGM's gear list
Panasonic G85 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads