* This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2018 *

Started Apr 1, 2018 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2018 *

Welcome to another monthly thread! Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2018: March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
They do not enjoy what they are doing

Don't those turned-down corners of the beaks appear to imply that flying is not their favourite passtime?

And I was very lucky that they were not flying directly over me:

Cheers,
Holger

Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Working on the railroad....

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Deal of the year

Heavily cropped - used the 18.5 lens and tried to get as close as possible

Even more cropped and pushed 2.5 stops in Capture One 11

This post is not about the caroussel mouse - it is about the hardware and the deal behind it, as I had managed to get a Nikon 1 J5 basically for free.

Here is what happened: While cleaning the lens shelf, my old Nikkor AF-S 24-120/3.5-5.6 came back to the front. I had acquired it for the D100 at the time, and when upgrading the body to something newer, I understood why it made #4 on Ken Rockwell's Top 10 Worst Nikon lenses list. The lens got pushed to the back of the shelf in like-new condition, and I honestly considered simply throwing it away. But what the heck, let's try selling it on eBay - and to my surprise got 195€ for it. Then early last week, a "naked" J5 appeared on eBay: camera in good condition, but no lens, no cables, no charger. Which was perfect for me, as I wouldn't have to get rid of an unwanted 10-30 lens. I bought it for 179€ and put the rest of the money into a 3rd-party charger.

The J5 arrived this morning and I'm impressed. My bird-feeder-caroussel mouse cooperated as well, so these are the first shots with my new toy. There is a lot more leeway for recovering underexposed images compard to the V3, and I'm very happy with the purchase so far.

Cheers,
Holger

Maritime1951 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Working on the railroad....

Love it!  I’m a retired railroad defense lawyer. Years ago, the IC had a team of gandy dancers kept for show. Now, that was a show.

Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499
Cactus flower

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Adrian Green Regular Member • Posts: 332
Hypnosis

I actually took this when messing around last Christmas, but only just got around to downloading it.

Adrian Green Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Deal of the year

Sweet mouse, and a sweet deal too by the sound of it!

Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Re: They do not enjoy what they are doing

holgerlinke wrote:

Don't those turned-down corners of the beaks appear to imply that flying is not their favourite passtime?

Fine flight shot.

I've got one swimming, seen from a bridge.

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Majestic Falls

These are Majestic Falls at McDowell Creek County Park, Oregon.  Shot with a V2 and the 6.7-13mm lens a5 7.1mm with both a polarizer and a 0.9 ND Filter.  ISO 160, f/5.6, 1/3s.  PP in LR 5.7.

Majestic Falls at McDowell Creek County Park

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Re: Majestic Falls

Beautiful waterfall photo. Looks a wonderful place to visit.

Bee in autumn light

V1 with cx70x300 that suffered a fall and hard knock but still seems to work, 16 mm extension tube.

DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Re: Majestic Falls

Thanks Adzor.  One of the nice things about McDowell Creek County Park is that it is free to visit.  There are other falls in the park, this one just my favorite.  I had my tripod along but couldn't figure out a way of using it without getting the handrail in the photo.  So I sat the camera on the handrail and shot from there (with the camera strap wrapped around my wrist so that I didn't knock the camera into the river by accident).

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
virtualkyr
virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 863
Moon and Venus.

Nikon 1J5 CX70-300

Saw this last night as I got home.

Posting from phone right now so I can’t see any data but I think was 70mm, base ISO, base f-stop, 3 sec exposure

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLRs - D750, D7200, D90
Compacts - Coolpix A, Nikon V1, Panasonic GH4

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +22 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Sparrow Courtship Dance

Sparrow Courtship Dance

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Cables in the sky...

I took this with my V2 & 10-100 non-pd.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,438
A sunny day out

Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
birdy with 18.5mm

This past week I heard a soft thump and when I investigated found that a little bird had struck my window. It looked pretty dazed. I thought I give it time to rest to see if it can recover on its own before taking it to the animal rescue center. Fortunately, it was able to fly off on its own.

Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) after she flew into my window

A happy ending

I checked on her after about 40 minutes and you can see she is looking better. Not long after this photo was taken she flew off on her own.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Sean Montebello
Sean Montebello New Member • Posts: 22
Some Shots around Dingli, Malta.

color improvements using snapseed, the J5 is a great little camera to take on walks.

Sean Montebello's gear list:Sean Montebello's gear list
Sony a7 II Nikon 1 J5 Xiaomi Mi 5 +1 more
dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,486
A few shots with V3 and CX70-300mm

I haven't used the  1 series much lately having mostly been using full frame and DX for the majority of my winter wildlife work.

These V3 shots were taken on the two hottest days of the year in our neck of the UK and show that in good light the 1 series can still turn out more than acceptable quality. these are all full frame shots uncropped, converted in VNX2 and downsized for the web

A few of these show that with equivalent focal lengths of 800mm heat haze is a killer , even on distance less than 90ft, and in reality the 1" sensor shots here are equal to those taken on the D7200 with a 500mm lens (similar FOV 810 to 750mm)

Off to get some shots of sand lizards in Dorset next week and this is where the silent shutter  and long reach of the 1 series will make the V3 the camera of choice.

Species are titled in the gallery but don't seem to show here.

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads