Sigma 16mm 1.4 - focus problems at 2.8 and 5.6 in AF-S

Started Mar 31, 2018 | Discussions
JulyDerek Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Sigma 16mm 1.4 - focus problems at 2.8 and 5.6 in AF-S

AHM wrote:

I was planning to buy this lens soon, but these kind of issues makes me hesitate. As I can understand from Sigma it’s a type of software bug in Sony A6xxx cameras. But I have an A6000 - what’s the chance that Sony will issue a firmware update to fix this? Seems unlikely, so I would be stuck with this.

Buy it. The lens is fantastic.

nikoneed
nikoneed New Member • Posts: 6

Hello mate!

Same problem here, did you fix this problem?

OP CyeJoeBob Forum Member • Posts: 74

two

CyeJoeBob's gear list:CyeJoeBob's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts)
paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,639

CyeJoeBob wrote:

nikoneed wrote:

Hello mate!

Same problem here, did you fix this problem?

No, it's still there and I have no hopes that Sigma is coming with a firmware that will fix this problem.

Just don't use AF-S with this lens and everything is fine.

As I recall apertures smaller than 2.2 work in AF-S although I shoot CF almost all of the time.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,405

On the A6500 in AF-C, one can half press the shutter to focus on something. Then recompose, press and hold AF/MF to keep the focus locked, and use the shutter to snap away. The camera will not refocus with the shutter, because it is in MF mode while the button is held down.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,767
I find it easier...

Sympa wrote:

On the A6500 in AF-C, one can half press the shutter to focus on something. Then recompose, press and hold AF/MF to keep the focus locked, and use the shutter to snap away. The camera will not refocus with the shutter, because it is in MF mode while the button is held down.

I find it easier on my A6300 and A6500 to use AF-C with BBF (shutter release button focus off) and I just remove my thumb from the back button to stop/lock focus.

-- hide signature --

My policy is to not post images to the 'net.

William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 8,692
Rediculous...............Sigma 16mm f/1.4 Issue

rjjr wrote:

Sympa wrote:

I find it easier on my A6300 and A6500 to use AF-C with BBF (shutter release button focus off) and I just remove my thumb from the back button to stop/lock focus.

I think it is rediculous needing to resort to any of the mentioned work arounds for a lens at this cost (shame).

Glad all have figured this out but totally rediculous.

-- hide signature --

At this point in my life I have become a lazy photographer. I don't struggle over image IQ or details but enjoy content and simplicity. A6000, A6300, A6500, A99, A900 w/Sony + Zeiss + Sony G Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,036
Re: Rediculous...

William Curtindale wrote:

I think it is rediculous needing to resort to any of the mentioned work arounds for a lens at this cost (shame).

I would have agreed that any workarounds would be ridiculous for any lens, regardless of cost - if a lens is supposed to autofocus, it should work.  Fortunately, no workarounds for me with the Sigma 16mm F1.4.  I shoot in AF-S mode, I use the flex-spot focus mode, and I just walkaround, half-pressing to acquire my intended subject, and fire the shutter, at any aperture.  It focuses perfectly every time.

I'd recommend anyone who gets the lens to at least try focusing normally in AF-S as it doesn't seem to affect everyone, or every camera.  If mine acted the way that had been described in threads like this, I wouldn't try any workarounds or alter the way I shoot - I'd return it.  Fortunately, mine has never had such issues.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,639

zackiedawg wrote:

I would have agreed that any workarounds would be ridiculous for any lens, regardless of cost - if a lens is supposed to autofocus, it should work. Fortunately, no workarounds for me with the Sigma 16mm F1.4. I shoot in AF-S mode, I use the flex-spot focus mode, and I just walkaround, half-pressing to acquire my intended subject, and fire the shutter, at any aperture. It focuses perfectly every time.

I'd recommend anyone who gets the lens to at least try focusing normally in AF-S as it doesn't seem to affect everyone, or every camera. If mine acted the way that had been described in threads like this, I wouldn't try any workarounds or alter the way I shoot - I'd return it. Fortunately, mine has never had such issues.

This seems to be, not "redeculous" but rather a minor issue for some with solutions that work.  What is important is the lens optically is superb; one of the best lenses I have ever used.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +6 more
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 8,692
paul wassermann : Rediculous...

paul wassermann wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

I would have agreed that any workarounds would be ridiculous for any lens, regardless of cost - if a lens is supposed to autofocus, it should work. Fortunately, no workarounds for me with the Sigma 16mm F1.4. I shoot in AF-S mode, I use the flex-spot focus mode, and I just walkaround, half-pressing to acquire my intended subject, and fire the shutter, at any aperture. It focuses perfectly every time.

I'd recommend anyone who gets the lens to at least try focusing normally in AF-S as it doesn't seem to affect everyone, or every camera. If mine acted the way that had been described in threads like this, I wouldn't try any workarounds or alter the way I shoot - I'd return it. Fortunately, mine has never had such issues.

This seems to be, not "redeculous" but rather a minor issue for some with solutions that work. What is important is the lens optically is superb; one of the best lenses I have ever used.

I agree, optical qulity is superb.

-- hide signature --

At this point in my life I have become a lazy photographer. I don't struggle over image IQ or details but enjoy content and simplicity. A6000, A6300, A6500, A99, A900 w/Sony + Zeiss + Sony G Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,767
Re: Rediculous...............Sigma 16mm f/1.4 Issue

rjjr wrote:

Sympa wrote:

As I mentioned earlier on in this thread Sigma has stated the issue is with the camera, not the lens. I've had it happen with my Sony SEL50F18.

-- hide signature --

My policy is to not post images to the 'net.

nikoneed
nikoneed New Member • Posts: 6

Thank you!

OP CyeJoeBob Forum Member • Posts: 74

zackiedawg wrote:

Can't imagine that there is anyone without this issue. I tried 4 lenses from different sellers and every lens had the exact same issue.

CyeJoeBob's gear list:CyeJoeBob's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts)
Amavel New Member • Posts: 2

I have tried 3 copies of Sigma 16mm f1.4 and all three had the issue that was described above.

I am not convinced it's Sony's fault because I haven't had an issue like that on a6000 and on a6300 with Sony 18-105 f4G, Sony 35mm f1.8 OSS, Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS, and even Sigma 70mm f2.8 DG Art Macro.

It's clearly this one lens related issue or this Sigma series of lenses.

I am surprised how many people, especially you tube reviewers are not bothered by this issue.

Kogel
Kogel Regular Member • Posts: 149

Amavel wrote:

I have tried 3 copies of Sigma 16mm f1.4 and all three had the issue that was described above.

Similar experience with my copy - f/5.6 (f/4.5...f/6.3) https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63322137

Hope that AF-C and AF-Priority: Release help to solve the problem.

Kogel's gear list:Kogel's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV GoPro Hero8 Black Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,405

I find AF-C to work much nicer and faster in general. The 50/1.8 OSS then focuses quickly while with AF-S it tends to pump through the focusing range.

It is a pity though. On the A6500, and in Manual Focus mode, an "AF/MF Hold" button always does AF-S when pressed. Sadly, or it would be the perfect BBF button (now it is an AF-S BBF button). Has this behaviour changed on the newer cameras?

I don't like to use "AF On" as I need to disable "AF with Shutter". And I do not always want BBF.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
Kogel

Sympa wrote:

I find AF-C to work much nicer and faster in general. The 50/1.8 OSS then focuses quickly while with AF-S it tends to pump through the focusing range.

Never used AF-C, not needed for landscape shooting. However, with this lens it is necessary to avoid AF-S.

Did some sample shots on a tripod, AF set to a distant point.

• AF-S has severe focus problems at f/2.8 if you use the EVF
  • AF-S has focus problems at f/5 if you use the screen
  • AF-C is better

Result based on EXIF data (FocusPosition2=255 -> infinity). Sony ILCE-6500 v1.06

Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV GoPro Hero8 Black Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +7 more
gkstar Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I see two columns for each condition - are these two samples per condition?

gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Kogel

gkstar wrote:

I see two columns for each condition - are these two samples per condition?

First increased FNumber (f/1.4->f/16), then decreased FNumber (f/16->f/1.4). Always on tripod, no timer (because AF-C doesn't work with timer)

bikelike New Member • Posts: 10
Re: A6600 update? Sigma 16mm 1.4 - focus problems at 2.8 and 5.6 in AF-S

Any update from A6600 users? Super curious!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads