Sony A7 + Metabones V + Canon TS-E 17mm : Chromatic aberration ? Light spilling ?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
NunoMP New Member • Posts: 16
Sony A7 + Metabones V + Canon TS-E 17mm : Chromatic aberration ? Light spilling ?

Sony A7 ILCE-7 Ver. 3.2

Metabones V Ver. 57

Canon TS-E 17mm

Greetings,

I've been using this setup and I'm very unpleased with something that I think its some kind of chromatic aberration with light sources! I've been trying to find something about it, but without success...

It happens with natural light and also with artificial lights... Its something like light spilling.
Please see attached images. JPG direct from RAW, no post processing applied.

I would like to know if any of you have this kind of experience, even if with other setup... and how you deal with it.

Looking forward for your feedback.

Thank you,

Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
inohuri Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: Sony A7 + Metabones V + Canon TS-E 17mm : Chromatic aberration ? Light spilling ?

Don't much care to link to Ken Rockwell but on this he has some proof and consistency.

He says Sony has problems with non-Sony wide angles. Other posts he says otherwise.

If the lens is shifted you might be having the problems mentioned here amplified:

How well do Canon lenses work on the Sony A7R II with an adapter: Sony A7R II vs Canon 5DSR

OP NunoMP New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Sony A7 + Metabones V + Canon TS-E 17mm : Chromatic aberration ? Light spilling ?

Thanks for your comment.

I've read a lot about using manual lenses with metabones in Sony... and nothing like this issue.

He says that images are "broken at the sides"... Not something related to CA... I don't know what to do...

SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

Your images look similar to those taken to illustrate the sensor reflection issue with the original Sony A7, later rectified in the A7II. Those images are typically taken at night time with bright light sources such as streetlights showing green flares/ghosts. Maybe the bright daylight & deep shadows in your shots are producing a subtle version of this effect :-/

One way to know whether this is the cause is to shoot the same shot with a different lens (same settings) and compare the images  - if it is sensor related the effect should show no matter which lens is used.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,911

SimonOL wrote:

Your images look similar to those taken to illustrate the sensor reflection issue with the original Sony A7, later rectified in the A7II. Those images are typically taken at night time with bright light sources such as streetlights showing green flares/ghosts. Maybe the bright daylight & deep shadows in your shots are producing a subtle version of this effect :-/

One way to know whether this is the cause is to shoot the same shot with a different lens (same settings) and compare the images - if it is sensor related the effect should show no matter which lens is used.

+1

What he said.

-- hide signature --

Dave

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,441
I doubt if it was the lens at fault

My suggestion is that perhaps you were pushing dynamic range (dark/light) to the maximum here.  My experience with the A7R showed that it was not a great camera in low light conditions.  The A7s was the camera Sony later released to make a better fist of it.  The A7MkII was obviously much improved but on a post extolling the virtues of the A7III the list of failings of the A7II that were fixed by that model were legion to the point one might have wondered what a horrible effort the A7II actually was.  So I am not sure at all just where the "basic" A7 stands in the alter of competence.  As it was my then 5+ year old 6mp Canon 5D was all over my then new A7R when I compared them side by side in difficult shooting conditions.

Of course all the Canon TS-E lenses are magnificent lenses so I would hardly blame one of them unless it was actually faulty.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 3,803

inohuri wrote:

Don't much care to link to Ken Rockwell but on this he has some proof and consistency.

He says Sony has problems with non-Sony wide angles.

Politely said, Bovine Dung!

Except in the case of many, but not all, rangefinder wides.

Other posts he says otherwise.

If the lens is shifted you might be having the problems mentioned here amplified:

How well do Canon lenses work on the Sony A7R II with an adapter: Sony A7R II vs Canon 5DSR

There is the problem of a too short adapter with lenses having floating elements (including zooms), but that shouldn't be the case of the TS-E 17mm.

As per the other thread you started about this, the likely problem is sensor reflection.

SimonOL wrote:

One way to know whether this is the cause is to shoot the same shot with a different lens (same settings) and compare the images - if it is sensor related the effect should show no matter which lens is used.

Actually, different lenses will react differently to light sources being reflected back through them by the sensor.

Some lenses apparently don't show those reflections at all, others (haiving different curvatures and perhaps with less effective coatings on the rear elements) may show it much more.

SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

Rol Lei Nut wrote:

SimonOL wrote:

Actually, different lenses will react differently to light sources being reflected back through them by the sensor.

Some lenses apparently don't show those reflections at all, others (haiving different curvatures and perhaps with less effective coatings on the rear elements) may show it much more.

I wondered whether that might be the case - I don't have any direct experience with the original A7...

Are there any lenses known to be particularly perceptible (maybe the OP could try one of those to see if the effect is similar to what they're getting with the Canon TS lens) or any known not to produce these reflections?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more

SimonOL wrote:

Rol Lei Nut wrote:

SimonOL wrote:

I wondered whether that might be the case - I don't have any direct experience with the original A7...

Are there any lenses known to be particularly perceptible (maybe the OP could try one of those to see if the effect is similar to what they're getting with the Canon TS lens) or any known not to produce these reflections?

I have the A7 and used to use it a lot. I've never noticed the sensor reflection problem, but also rarely shoot night or artificially lit scenes with the lights in the image. It's also possible that the lenses I use with it aren't especially sensitive or reactive to sensor reflections.

Easiest solution is if the OP can get hold of a series "II" or "III" camera and see if it behaves the same. Maybe shoot one at lights in  a camera shop, with the A7 along as the control sample?

MusicmanUK Contributing Member • Posts: 638

SimonOL wrote:

I concur. I've very recently moved from an A7, which exhibited this problem with lights in night scenes, to an A7II, which is much better

Some sample shots of similar subjects in similar conditions with each body, all using the same C/Y Contax Planar 50mm f/1.7 lens; with the A7 you can see the blueish bloom near light sources.

A7

A7II

I use a wide variety of C/Y, FD and OM lenses and it's been a problem that I had to learn to live with all of them on the A7 when shooting at night. Every lens I have tried so far on the A7II has been far improved.

-- hide signature --
OP NunoMP New Member • Posts: 16

Thank you all for the feedback!
Considering what I've been reading, I do belive that it's the sensor reflection issue...

Unfortunately i can't use a A7II or A7III to test if it's solved or not...

Images posted by MusicmanUK, even with A7II, show some type of this issue... !

An interesting post about this kind of issues:http://www.verybiglobo.com/sony-alpha-a7-ilce-7-and-sony-alpha-a7r-ilce-7r-part-7-a7-sensor-flare-problems/

Since I find my self shooting in contrasting conditions, I'll have to decide what to do... live with this problem... or sell and upgrade to another body or system... I wasn't expecting this!

Also, please take a look what some feedback from "Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk" here in Dpreview:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4269187

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads