A7III PDAF down to F8 or F11?

Started Mar 26, 2018 | Discussions
RussKNY
RussKNY Regular Member • Posts: 156
A7III PDAF down to F8 or F11?

Does anyone know? There is the following text in the A7III manual, but I'm not sure if this means that PDAF works down to F11:

"When the F-value is greater than F11 in [Continuous Shooting: Hi+], [Continuous Shooting: Hi] or [Continuous Shooting: Mid] mode, the focus is locked to the setting in the first shot."

Thanks in advance!

RussKNY's gear list:RussKNY's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +1 more
sunnycal
sunnycal Contributing Member • Posts: 711
Re: A7III PDAF down to F8 or F11?

RussKNY wrote:

Does anyone know? There is the following text in the A7III manual, but I'm not sure if this means that PDAF works down to F11:

"When the F-value is greater than F11 in [Continuous Shooting: Hi+], [Continuous Shooting: Hi] or [Continuous Shooting: Mid] mode, the focus is locked to the setting in the first shot."

Thanks in advance!

It means what it says. If you do continuous shooting in aperture priority and set the aperture to f11, then Af will be locked during the burst. In A7riii, this value is f8. There is no af in this situation, phase detect or contrast.

The camera will still do phase detect in single shot and low speed continuous.

sunnycal's gear list:sunnycal's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D810 Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +13 more
Myki2000 Forum Member • Posts: 97

sunnycal wrote:

RussKNY wrote:

Thanks in advance!

It means what it says. If you do continuous shooting in aperture priority and set the aperture to f11, then Af will be locked during the burst. In A7riii, this value is f8. There is no af in this situation, phase detect or contrast.

The camera will still do phase detect in single shot and low speed continuous.

To be more precise, the phase detect work continuously during the burst mode (at hi+, hi, mid and low) at F11 and lower f-stop number

The phase detection work also at higher value than f11 (F13 and more) but will lock on the first shot during a bursts (at hi+, hi and mid), so the first shot will be in focus and not the second if the subject is moving,

Myki2000's gear list:Myki2000's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +14 more
C47 Contributing Member • Posts: 758

Just out of curiosity, who is this important for? I mean even with the Sony 100-400 mm @ 400 + 2.0 TC the smallest aperture available is f11. And since you usually use continuous shooting for fast moving subjects you want a short exposure time and the largest aperture possible..

C47's gear list:C47's gear list
Sony a7C Sony a7 IV Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +5 more
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

Myki2000 wrote:

sunnycal wrote:

RussKNY wrote:

Thanks in advance!

To be more precise, the phase detect work continuously during the burst mode (at hi+, hi, mid and low) at F11 and lower f-stop number

The phase detection work also at higher value than f11 (F13 and more) but will lock on the first shot during a bursts (at hi+, hi and mid), so the first shot will be in focus and not the second if the subject is moving,

yes, it's phrased the same way as the a9 manual:

"When the F-value is greater than F11, the focus is locked to the setting in the first shot."

that is very interesting, it sounds like an af advantage, that was formerly reserved for only the a9.

wonder why they didn't list it on the website features page for the a7iii, like they did on the a9? unless it's a misprint?

a9 website: "Focus will not track the subject at apertures smaller than F11 (F-numbers higher than F11). The focus point will be fixed at the first frame."

-- hide signature --

dan

osv wrote:

Myki2000 wrote:

sunnycal wrote:

RussKNY wrote:

Thanks in advance!

yes, it's phrased the same way as the a9 manual:

"When the F-value is greater than F11, the focus is locked to the setting in the first shot."

that is very interesting, it sounds like an af advantage, that was formerly reserved for only the a9.

wonder why they didn't list it on the website features page for the a7iii, like they did on the a9? unless it's a misprint?

a9 website: "Focus will not track the subject at apertures smaller than F11 (F-numbers higher than F11). The focus point will be fixed at the first frame."

Yes I confirm, it work like that with the A7III.

I did a  video some days ago showing that the phase autofocus work at F11 at higher F number.

https://youtu.be/5j4Dlf7ik8M

I did the test thi morning with 10fps. I can bursts with phase autofocus at F11, the focus lock on the first shot if I set the camera at F13.

I  can make a video later.

Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +14 more

I did a test with continuous Mid at F11 and F13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xw5rBx5DYU

RussKNY
OP RussKNY Regular Member • Posts: 156

Myki2000 wrote:

I did a test with continuous Mid at F11 and F13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xw5rBx5DYU

Thanks for the test!

So does this confirm then that A7III can use PDAF for tracking down to F/11, just like the A9?

C47 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, who is this important for? I mean even with the Sony 100-400 mm @ 400 + 2.0 TC the smallest aperture available is f11. And since you usually use continuous shooting for fast moving subjects you want a short exposure time and the largest aperture possible..

For me personally, this means Eye-AF should be more consistent and reliable at f/8-f/9, unlike A7RIII, which tends to struggle in a studio environment even at f/8.

RussKNY's gear list:RussKNY's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +1 more
tn1krr Senior Member • Posts: 1,318

C47 wrote:

It means you actually get tracking during burst with A7III. If you put 2x TC to A7RIII with GM100-400 you will not have tracking during higher speed bursts. Some long lens bird/nature shooters for example people much prefer A9 over A7RIII due to this; now A7III gives them same possibility.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +5 more
C47 Contributing Member • Posts: 758

tn1krr wrote:

C47 wrote:

It means you actually get tracking during burst with A7III. If you put 2x TC to A7RIII with GM100-400 you will not have tracking during higher speed bursts. Some long lens bird/nature shooters for example people much prefer A9 over A7RIII due to this; now A7III gives them same possibility.

I know that the A7RIIIs limit is f8, I just wondered who would shoot action/sports above f11...

C47's gear list:C47's gear list
Sony a7C Sony a7 IV Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +5 more
tn1krr Senior Member • Posts: 1,318

C47 wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

C47 wrote:

I know that the A7RIIIs limit is f8, I just wondered who would shoot action/sports above f11...

It more use for something daylight birding where you need a lot of reach and there are no other long native telezooms beside GM100-400 yet available.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads