Fill-in Flash for Wedding/Event without Overheat Issues

Started Mar 25, 2018 | Discussions
benjcmil Junior Member • Posts: 27
Fill-in Flash for Wedding/Event without Overheat Issues

Hi, I already had old Nikon SB25 from my uncle. I bought Eneloop Pros batteries, but somehow after FEW shots, the batteries were very hot! And they discharged so fast (in less than 50 shots). I thought, my old Nikon flash is the cause of this trouble.

So, I need your recommendation for a cheap flash (around 100$), I just use it for fill-in flash at wedding or event to keep my ISO not too high and to make the skin much cleaner.

My candidates are Godox TT685 and Yongnuo 560IV.

is TTL necessary? If I only buy one flash, is it enough if I set it off-camera? Or should I just set in on-camera?

Note: I'm newbie at flash photography. I don't like to use flash too much, as I mentioned before, I just  need it to create a less-noisy photos.

Thanks before!

benjcmil's gear list:benjcmil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D5300 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 1,892
Re: Fill-in Flash for Wedding/Event without Overheat Issues

The buzz word now days is Godox . For the $100 range that you want to spend I would go that route.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341878-REG/godox_tt685n_ttl_camera_speedlite.html

cpharm86's gear list:cpharm86's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 24,646
Flash power and distance

If you move the flash, between shots, nearer to or farther from the subject, you will require different amounts of power.

Your choice is 1 /to calculate the difference in your head, and then change the settings on your flash or your camera or both, or

2/ Have a flash gun that automatically makes these adjustments. That's what TTL does.

BAK

OP benjcmil Junior Member • Posts: 27

cpharm86 wrote:

The buzz word now days is Godox . For the $100 range that you want to spend I would go that route.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341878-REG/godox_tt685n_ttl_camera_speedlite.html

thank you!

how about the heat issue? I won't go full power I think. Last job when I used the Nikon SB25, I set the power 1/8 - 1/32.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D5300 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Re: Flash power and distance

BAK wrote:

If you move the flash, between shots, nearer to or farther from the subject, you will require different amounts of power.

Your choice is 1 /to calculate the difference in your head, and then change the settings on your flash or your camera or both, or

2/ Have a flash gun that automatically makes these adjustments. That's what TTL does.

BAK

Ah I see. If I go off-camera, it'll be better to have TTL, 'cause I don't need to set the flash, which is maybe far away from me, is that right?

benjcmil wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

thank you!

how about the heat issue? I won't go full power I think. Last job when I used the Nikon SB25, I set the power 1/8 - 1/32.

You should be fine.

As BAK said use TTL for now until you feel comfortable with using manual with your flash and camera. You will get more "keepers" with TTL until you are experienced with manual settings.

cpharm86 wrote:

benjcmil wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

thank you!

You should be fine.

As BAK said use TTL for now until you feel comfortable with using manual with your flash and camera. You will get more "keepers" with TTL until you are experienced with manual settings.

OK. Thank you guys!

fotowbert
fotowbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
TTL vs manual and 1st flash

benjcmil wrote:

BAK wrote:

BAK

Ah I see. If I go off-camera, it'll be better to have TTL, 'cause I don't need to set the flash, which is maybe far away from me, is that right?

That is not the main reason when choosing to operate in either manual or TTL flash mode. The choice of TTL or manual flash should be made based upon the the kind of shoot you are doing. More on this below.

Having to continually access the back of the flash during manual flash operation is often a non-issue now as a lot of the flash gear available today allows you to control manual mode power levels from the transmitter unit. This is true for TTL radio trigger systems and some manual only systems. It only took a short time to realize how convenient it was to have remote control of manual flash power. I wouldn't want to go back.

Concerning TTL vs manual flash - When the flash to subject distance remains relatively fixed, which is often the case with off-camera flash, then manual flash operation will give you more consistent exposures than TTL. This is because you won't have the TTL reflected light metering trying to make both the bride's white dress and the grooms black tux a shade of gray. You will however have to take the time to establish your manual power levels. Some TTL systems now offer a TCM (TTL Convert to Manual) feature that locks in an initial TTL determined power level and then allows you to adjust levels in manual mode.

When the shoot is more fluid with changing distances and time pressures common with an event shoot then TTL is often a better choice especially if you are doing bounce flash. You will need to pay attention to your flash exposures as you go and adjust the FEC (Flash Exposure Comp) as required. This kind of shoot is often done with a single on-camera speedlight so I recommend you have at least one TTL tilt/swivel full size speedlight in your kit for this purpose. Consequently the Godox TT685 is a better choice for your 1st speedlight compared to the manual only YN 560IV.  Adorama rebrands Godox TT685 as part of their "Flashpoint" system.

Concerning your original question the SB-25 and hot eneloop cells - It's possible the unit's capacitors have degraded with age and none use to the point they are now drawing way more current than they should. NiMH batteries (N-Cad also) are capable of providing high current discharge due to their low internal resistance compared to alkaline AA cells. Your report of heat and low flashes per charge at 1/8 or lower power imply high current draw. One way to know for sure is to power the unit with a regulated 6 V DC power supply and note the current.

• John
-- hide signature --

"[If you don't sweat the details] the magic doesn't work." Brooks, F. P., The Mythical Man-Month, Addison-Wesley, 1975, page 8.

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
NikonD800Es Senior Member • Posts: 1,366

Do youreself a huge favor and get Godox TT685 TTL flash for $110, great reliable flash, very solid build quality, no compatibility issues with Nikon bodies AFAIK. I own one Nikon SB910 and three Godox TT685N, and my 1st hand experience says ... forget Nikon flashes.

And for another $46 you can get Godox X1T-N trigger for playing with some great off-camera options.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 14,552

cpharm86 wrote:

This flash is also available from Adorama as the:

Adorama Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver - Canon FP-LF-SM-ZCA

Here is a review.

FLASH HAVOC - GODOX – TT685C – TTL Radio Speedlite – Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more

Sailor Blue wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

This flash is also available from Adorama as the:

Adorama Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver - Canon FP-LF-SM-ZCA

Here is a review.

FLASH HAVOC - GODOX – TT685C – TTL Radio Speedlite – Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2

Yep, Adorama has it also. I think the OP has Nikon so can search for the Nikon Flashpoint.

I don't use Godox but it seems to have a good price point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads