Native Zuiko 8mm f1.8 fisheye vs. adapted Tokina 10-17mm f3.5-4.5

Started Mar 23, 2018 | Discussions
Architeuthis Regular Member • Posts: 159
Native Zuiko 8mm f1.8 fisheye vs. adapted Tokina 10-17mm f3.5-4.5

I have acquired a Metabones 0,71x Canon EF to MTF speedbooster (MB_SPEF-M43-BT4) in order to use a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens on my Olympus EM5MII camera. The background is, that I want to use a fisheye zoom lens for underwater photography, so that I can zoom out when photographing shy animals that get scared, when making a picture at 180o diagonal angle of view at close distance.

Tokina lens and Metabones adapter arrived and I could not resist to make a little comparison to the Zuiko 8mm prime fisheye that I have here and usually gives excellent results.

The Metabone adapter converts the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5-f4.5 lens into a lens with 7-12mm f2.5-f3.2. I shot images adjusting the Tokina to approx. 8mm at two different apertures in order to make images comparable (actually the focal length was a little smaller as 8mm, as the angle of view with the Tokina is slightly larger (visible by the black shadows at the lower side of the images that are produced by the integrated shade when the angle of view gets >180o)).

Automatic exposure compensation and correction for chromatic abberation was performed in Lightroom.

#1.: Here a comparison of the full images at wider aperture (f:2.5 and f2.6, respectively):

Zuiko 8mm: f2.5; 1/1000s; ISO200

Tokina @8mm: f2.6; 1/800s; ISO200

Now details from the two photos above from middle and from the corner:

Zuiko 8mm: f2.5

Tokina @8mm: f2.6, center crop

Zuiko 8mm: f2.5, corner crop

Tokina @8mm: f2.6, corner crop

#2.: Next I tested at f8, a situation more close to underwater photography:

First the full images:

Zuiko 8mm: f8, 1/80s, ISO200

Tokina @8mm: f8, 1/80s, ISO200

Now the crops from the middle region at f 8.0:

Zuiko 8mm: f8.0

Tokina @8mm: f8.0

now the crops from the corners:

Zuiko 8mm: f8.0

Tokina @8mm: f8.0

So much the comparison - I conclude that

(i) Zuiko prime lens is way sharper than the Tokina Zoom at comparable focal length.

(ii) Chromatic abberation is also much better with Zuiko (always visible to some extend in the corner of fisheye lenses).

(iii) At smaller aperture the quality difference becomes smaller, but is still substantial.

(iv) the magic improvement of sharpness by speed boosters does not work for fisheye lenses.

Wolfgang

Architeuthis's gear list:Architeuthis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
Robert Schroeder
Robert Schroeder Senior Member • Posts: 1,646
Re: Native Zuiko 8mm f1.8 fisheye vs. adapted Tokina 10-17mm f3.5-4.5

Very interesting!

Indeed, I would have expected more from the focally-reduced Tokina, too, at least in the frame centre. On the other hand, I have no idea how good (or bad) the lens is on it's own. Whatever the focal reducer can do, it cannot make a really weak lens good

OP Architeuthis Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Native Zuiko 8mm f1.8 fisheye vs. adapted Tokina 10-17mm f3.5-4.5

Here are tests from opticallimits for the Tokina 10-17mm lens (for Nikon DX mount and also the Pentax version of this lens):

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/271-tokina-af-10-17mm-f35-45-at-x-dx-fisheye-review--test-report?start=1

http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/132-pentax-smc-da-10-17mm-f35-45-edif-fisheye-review--test-report?start=1

=> it is not really a bad lens, but rated o.k (and the focal reducer is expected to improve sharpness).

it turns out that the blue artefacts at high contrast are called a phenomenon called "purple fringing" and something else than CA - but I am most concerned about the missing sharpness.

It turns out that the Zuiko 8mm prime fisheye lens is really superior in sharpness, CA and purple fringing (I could not find an objective test of this lens, where this has been measured, so I made the comparison by myself)...

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,625
A note about underwater use

Architeuthis wrote:

Here are tests from opticallimits for the Tokina 10-17mm lens (for Nikon DX mount and also the Pentax version of this lens):

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/271-tokina-af-10-17mm-f35-45-at-x-dx-fisheye-review--test-report?start=1

http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/132-pentax-smc-da-10-17mm-f35-45-edif-fisheye-review--test-report?start=1

=> it is not really a bad lens, but rated o.k (and the focal reducer is expected to improve sharpness).

it turns out that the blue artefacts at high contrast are called a phenomenon called "purple fringing" and something else than CA - but I am most concerned about the missing sharpness.

It turns out that the Zuiko 8mm prime fisheye lens is really superior in sharpness, CA and purple fringing (I could not find an objective test of this lens, where this has been measured, so I made the comparison by myself)...

Well, a 2.5 optical quality noting it is "due to PF" is NOT a good lens.

The interesting thing is that underwater performance might be a lot different. PF is generally due to some combination of NIR and NUV, but I don't think underwater has any NIR -- even reds are pretty much gone.

Of course, there's still the issue of what housing you're going to use that will allow a fisheye to still be a fisheye and not vignetted... and how the housing will let you get at the zoom control.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
OP Architeuthis Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: A note about underwater use

Hi Prof.!

"underwater performance might be a lot different.": this is was I sincerely hope- I have invested now approx. 1700 bugs into being able to use this lens (lens, Metabones adapter, Adaperst to use my existing domeport on my UW housing) that is legendary amongst UW photographers using APS-C and even FF sensors. See in this special UW forum in case in case you are interested: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61629

Hard to image that all these (and there are competition winning) people work with cheap junk...

An alternative would be to use the FF Canon 8-15mm FE with 1x Metabones adapter, but well possible that the FF lens does not perform so well with just with a blunt 1x adapater (in case resoution is half of the one on FF (see Opticallimits review), as picture heigth of MFT is also half) - this is not such a good solution either (and lens plus adapter would cost another 1500 bugs)...

Wolfgang

P.S.: I am glad to find here some people with whom I can discuss this optical issues...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads