Amazing Swiss film camera, Alpha, photo samples

Started Mar 21, 2018 | Discussions
22codfish
22codfish Contributing Member • Posts: 764
Amazing Swiss film camera, Alpha, photo samples

Alpha's own website has amazing photo samples which I don't think digital can equal in image quality.

Alpha uses older Pentax lenses:

https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/03/21/new-alpa-pentax-67-lens-module/

-- hide signature --

Please visit my Gallery. Critique and if you leave suggestions, it would be appreciated:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5224733514

22codfish's gear list:22codfish's gear list
Pentax Optio M10 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S
rurikw Senior Member • Posts: 2,459
Re: Amazing Swiss film camera, Alpha, photo samples

22codfish wrote:

Alpha's own website has amazing photo samples which I don't think digital can equal in image quality.

A bit confusing to someone not acquainted with the Alpa (no h) system but as far as i understood they talked about (and hyped) the old Pentax 67 to give some historical background to the lenses and reinforce the impression that the Pentax medium format lenses they have now embraced are indeed of high quality (they must be as they used to be attached to such a great camera used by great pros). Other than that I didn't see anything about any film camera. Alpa seems to work on adapters or "modules" with and without tilt/shift to combine different lenses with different backs, both film and digital though I suppose digital dominates. The idea is great and puts still capable old equipment to good use. The galleries look good as befits a high end manufacturer but I can't find out which are shot on film and which on digital. Have only the phone now so a bit limited. Is there some particular quality you think can be achieved only with film?

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
22codfish
OP 22codfish Contributing Member • Posts: 764

Sorry, I just thought the photo quality in the Alpha gallery was amazing.  If you would like to know EXIF type specifics, I'm afraid you'll have to ask Alpha.

-- hide signature --

Please visit my Gallery. Critique and if you leave suggestions, it would be appreciated:

Pentax Optio M10 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S
BrianYarvin
BrianYarvin Contributing Member • Posts: 535

I'm completely confused here. The OP says it's a film camera that's better than digital, but when you follow the link, you get a picture of an obviously digital technical camera with a classic Pentax lens attached.

Read a bit farther down and it tells us that it's a PhaseOne IQ3 - a pretty amazing image-making machine and absolutely digital.

I think the superior film images we're supposed to see are actually digital. Can somebody clarify?

-- hide signature --
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 10,389

Alpa used to make quirky 35mm cameras and some very exotic lenses too.

Then it went bankrupt but in 1996 it was resurrected as a medium forma camera maker.

They do both film and digital but looks to me that they are aiming at the digital market the most.

I had customers salivating over cameras like this :

always very hard to price (SH price...)

Re: Amazing Swiss film camera, Alpa, photo samples

22codfish wrote:

Sorry, I just thought the photo quality in the Alpha gallery was amazing. If you would like to know EXIF type specifics, I'm afraid you'll have to ask Alpha.

as pointed out you mention FILM and Exif side by side...

(there is no Exif with film).

Alpa

I am guessing that the name was derived from Alps, as in Swiss Alps.

(alpen,alpes,alpi ,alps in the four official Swiss languages)

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,059

22codfish wrote:

Sorry, I just thought the photo quality in the Alpha gallery was amazing. If you would like to know EXIF type specifics, I'm afraid you'll have to ask Alpha.

Why not link directly to the gallery? There are no sample images at the link provided.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +9 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,606
ALPA (not alpHa), digital not film

22codfish wrote:

I think you're confused.  The article discusses an Alpa lens module to allow use of older Pentax 67 lenses on digital backs.  No film there.

22codfish
Amazing Swiss Alpa camera, apologies and thanks

Sorry, my apologies for misspelling Alpa to Alpha.  I didn't realize my mistake until FrancoD posted the photo of the Alpa camera.  I would like to try out that camera. Neat!

I did refer to EXIF type information and to the Alpa gallery, not the Rumour gallery.

Thanks,  FrancoD.

-- hide signature --

BrianYarvin
Re: Amazing Swiss Alpa camera, apologies and thanks

It's clear to me now that this has nothing to do with film cameras at all. It's Alpa's way of adapting vintage pro lenses to modern digital gear.  Thank you everybody for that.

And to our original poster, at the level we're talking about, there's no such thing as "better than..." only great equipment used with even greater skill.

-- hide signature --
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,840
Re: ALPA (not alpHa), digital not film

IIRC Alpa 12 will take roll film backs too.  I always hankered after and Alpa 11, but came to my senses and unless you have very special needs the 12 falls into the same category.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +4 more
BrianYarvin

I believe that if it takes Phase1 backs, it will take film backs too. But the test rig in the original link clearly appears to be a digital camera. Now that I've had at least a cup or two of coffee, I can speak with a bit of authority.

-- hide signature --
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 10,889
I remember Alpa film cameras!

FrancoD wrote:

Then it went bankrupt but in 1996 it was resurrected as a medium forma camera maker.

They do both film and digital but looks to me that they are aiming at the digital market the most.

I grew up in Houston Texas back when there were three robustly stocked photography equipment dealers: Southside Camera in Bellaire, , Southwestern Camera  in downtown, and Skylark camera out towards Pasadena. There was also a very high end specialty store that catered mostly to well heeled amateurs, George Lange Camera. This was back in the days when the “Oyl Bidness” and the Medical Business were in their rip roaring, free spending heydays.

Say you  or your boss woke up one morning and decided this was the day you wanted to buy a complete Sinar, Linhof, Hasselblad, Nikon, or Canon system complete with virtually every lens made for those systems, and lighting ranging from Broncolor to Balcar to Speedotron to Norman, and a 16mm Arriflex motion picture camera set up? You could walk into one of these stores and pretty much walk out with all of that.

But only one store sold Alpa cameras: Guess which one?

Answer: Neiman-Marcus.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
And follow me on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
Re: I remember Alpa film cameras!

I only have seen them SH but it is possible that a certain Melbourne shop sold them new.

I see they now have even have a Metabones  a Speed Booster (Alpa to E mount) !

22codfish

Brian,

These photos are from an Alpa camera with a film back, which I copied from the Alpha gallery:

https://www.alpa.ch/en/portfolios/rosenbauer-ralph-bern

It's a matter of opinion, but the quality of the print is better than any B&W I've seen taken with an all digital camera.   Although, I have seen some very good B&W photos from the Pentax 645 series.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Re: I remember Alpa film cameras!
  1. Ellis Vener wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

I grew up in Houston Texas back when there were three robustly stocked photography equipment dealers: Southside Camera in Bellaire, , Southwestern Camera in downtown, and Skylark camera out towards Pasadena. There was also a very high end specialty store that catered mostly to well heeled amateurs, George Lange Camera. This was back in the days when the “Oyl Bidness” and the Medical Business were in their rip roaring, free spending heydays.

Say you or your boss woke up one morning and decided this was the day you wanted to buy a complete Sinar, Linhof, Hasselblad, Nikon, or Canon system complete with virtually every lens made for those systems, and lighting ranging from Broncolor to Balcar to Speedotron to Norman, and a 16mm Arriflex motion picture camera set up? You could walk into one of these stores and pretty much walk out with all of that.

But only one store sold Alpa cameras: Guess which one?

Answer: Neiman-Marcus.

For those unfamiliar with it, Neiman-Marcus is a very high end fashion retailer that was based in Dallas , and at that time in Texas  shopping there was a very big deal. I knew it because my mother worked there.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Nikon D850 +1 more
BrianYarvin

22codfish wrote:

Brian,

These photos are from an Alpa camera with a film back, which I copied from the Alpha gallery:

Codfish:

That's a very elegant gallery of work. Where did you see the prints?

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,606

a_c_skinner wrote:

IIRC Alpa 12 will take roll film backs too. I always hankered after and Alpa 11, but came to my senses and unless you have very special needs the 12 falls into the same category.

Ok, but in the linked article it appears to be speaking about digital backs only and that's what I'm commenting on.

Ellis Vener
  1. Y22codfish wrote:

Brian,

It's a matter of opinion, but the quality of the print is better than any B&W I've seen taken with an all digital camera. Although, I have seen some very good B&W photos from the Pentax 645 series.

If you think a particular make of a film camera body has an effect on what a print or scan made from the film that went through it I have a bridgeconnecting Brooklyn and Manhattan  I think you might be interested in buying.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Nikon D850 +1 more
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,795

The camera is cool but I do not see any images which stand out in a way you could attribute it to the system.

From the cash side of things- say a minimum 17,000 for the just a 50MP  back (much more for something larger) , 1200 for the  back adapter,  6500 for the ALPA MAX  and then buy the Pentax lens adapter  and I'm  good to use all my 67 lenses.

Not exactly an economical way to put all my lenses to use.

For that money I could buy a Fuji GFX  50,   the lenses,  and have cash left over to shoot film in my Pentax bodies with my Pentax lenses.

-- hide signature --

dw

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads