Started Mar 14, 2018 | Discussions
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,314
Sony XQD price gouging

Looked at G series 128 GB

Official price $189

Adorama $229.99

B&H $229.95

Best Buy $229.99

So 1) the big shops sell the cards at a price higher than the MSRP and 2) they avoid competition by setting the price within a few cents of one each other.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,678
Re: Sony XQD price gouging

TOF guy wrote:

Official price $189

Adorama $229.99

B&H $229.95

Best Buy $229.99

So 1) the big shops sell the cards at a price higher than the MSRP and 2) they avoid competition by setting the price within a few cents of one each other.

Maybe Henry and Helen can explain this away. 

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

Interesting.

I got one a couple of weeks ago during that last hand-wringing thread @ $189 from B&H.

But just to set "normal price" expectations, the first one I ordered back in August (with the D850 pre-order) cost $159. I just double-checked the invoice.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Cerebral Knievel
Cerebral Knievel Regular Member • Posts: 260

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

Interesting.

I got one a couple of weeks ago during that last hand-wringing thread @ $189 from B&H.

But just to set "normal price" expectations, the first one I ordered back in August (with the D850 pre-order) cost $159. I just double-checked the invoice.

Chris

That's fortunate, as they've consistently been price gouging since Lexar went out of business.

-- hide signature --

www.philippenewman.com

Cerebral Knievel's gear list:Cerebral Knievel's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,308

You can get it right here for $189 w/ free shipping:

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?2459880

They have 100 in stock. I bought my 64 GB card from them. Maybe B&H and Adorama should take note.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
1elementin7groups
1elementin7groups Senior Member • Posts: 2,584

According to Nikon Rumors March 1, Lexar has been on/off/on in production of their XQD cards. Supposedly they are producing now. Hopefully these will be distributed quickly as I have had a 128GB on backorder for about 2 months. Adorama list it as backordered for around $165.

Dave

1elementin7groups's gear list:1elementin7groups's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +13 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,704

TOF guy wrote:

Official price $189

Adorama $229.99

B&H $229.95

Best Buy $229.99

Yeah, it is ridiculous. I paid $169.95 in September (128GB G Series) from B&H. In my experience memory prices fall by 50% every 18-24 months.

What I paid is higher than another poster paid a month earlier.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907

TOF guy wrote:

Official price $189

Adorama $229.99

B&H $229.95

Best Buy $229.99

I still think that Nikon should have gone CFast instead.

Always better to go with an alternative that has wider scope / availability worldwide.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
JohnnyLuddite Contributing Member • Posts: 576

ImageAmateur wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Official price $189

Adorama $229.99

B&H $229.95

Best Buy $229.99

Always better to go with an alternative that has wider scope / availability worldwide.

Wow, seeing the prices on those is brutal, and the CFast ones aren't cheap either.

I'd say there was a case for having a semi-permanently fitted m2 ssd as used in laptops, plus a usb3/usbc connector for copying out to regular usb sticks or hdd as needed.  The m2 ssd are much cheaper, faster, can go to huge capacities, and tend not to overheat.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,335

128GB is a very large card. You're going to get between 1000-5000 raw files on there, depending what compatible camera model and image format you use.

Given that the cameras it goes in are 1) very expensive, 2) the card is reusable, and 3) it isn't even the only card option to go in these cameras, just the premium option,  I'd say there was no cause for panic.

In the days of film SLRs I could easily put more value in film through the camera in one year than the body was worth. That is absolutely not going to happen with these XQD cards. Each card is 5-10% the cost of the camera.

Chuvarsky
Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 1,812

Interesting, I received a 128 from B&H last week, paid $189.95.  Local camera store has them listed at $202.95.  Possibly the old law of supply & demand?

-- hide signature --

Dick

Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,759

fishy wishy wrote:

128GB is a very large card. You're going to get between 1000-5000 raw files on there, depending what compatible camera model and image format you use.

Given that the cameras it goes in are 1) very expensive, 2) the card is reusable, and 3) it isn't even the only card option to go in these cameras, just the premium option, I'd say there was no cause for panic.

In the days of film SLRs I could easily put more value in film through the camera in one year than the body was worth. That is absolutely not going to happen with these XQD cards. Each card is 5-10% the cost of the camera.

I was thinking the same thing.  Isn't the"inflated" cost about the same price as a top end 128 GB SD Card?  SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB $242 at BH.  If price gouging is the reason for the XQD 128 GB being over $200 what's the reason for the SD version to be so high?

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
ScottRH
ScottRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,752

ImageAmateur wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Official price $189

Adorama $229.99

B&H $229.95

Best Buy $229.99

+1

AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,308

I just solved the problem for everyone who is complaining, funny nobody has commented on that. You can get them at $189 at Next Warehouse. Stop your whining about B&H and Adorama, just buy them where you can get it for less. It's clearly available.

Some people just want to complain.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more

1elementin7groups wrote:

According to Nikon Rumors March 1, Lexar has been on/off/on in production of their XQD cards. Supposedly they are producing now. Hopefully these will be distributed quickly as I have had a 128GB on backorder for about 2 months. Adorama list it as backordered for around $165.

They list it as in stock and ready to ship right now, but not at that price.

I have experienced the following with online purchases: something that's low-balled or comes with free shipping never arrives and they just say nothing. When you finally contact them and complain about it, they cancel the order with some excuse.

So you might want to ask them why it's listed as in stock online, and if they try to cancel it, do not be complacent.

Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more

Chuvarsky wrote:

Possibly the old law of supply & demand?

Yes. That doesn't dismiss it from also being defined as price gouging.

Chris

Ricardo00 Contributing Member • Posts: 580

AZBlue wrote:

I just solved the problem for everyone who is complaining, funny nobody has commented on that. You can get them at $189 at Next Warehouse. Stop your whining about B&H and Adorama, just buy them where you can get it for less. It's clearly available.

Some of us (including myself) have never heard of Next Warehouse.  You are correct, they do list them for $189.  However I am not sure I would buy from this company since there are so many negative reviews of them.  Have other's bought from them and been happy?

PS.  I bought a 128 gb Lexar 2933x XQD 2.0 card for $159 and have been very happy with it (I shoot video as well as stills).

Ricardo00's gear list:Ricardo00's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
egk4260 Contributing Member • Posts: 672

AZBlue wrote:

Not sure if it is an issue with XQD cards but this is not listed as an authorized dealer in US

egk4260's gear list:egk4260's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Apple iPhone 8
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,438
Clean Up on Aisle Five

Paging Henry Posner!

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Cerebral Knievel
Cerebral Knievel Regular Member • Posts: 260

Ricardo00 wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Some of us (including myself) have never heard of Next Warehouse. You are correct, they do list them for $189. However I am not sure I would buy from this company since there are so many negative reviews of them. Have other's bought from them and been happy?

PS. I bought a 128 gb Lexar 2933x XQD 2.0 card for $159 and have been very happy with it (I shoot video as well as stills).

Must agree with this.  As a somewhat relative example, I read once that Ebay advises buying from people with 99% positive reviews or higher (that is, ideally: 99.8 or 99.9).  While Next Warehouse is sitting at somewhere around 86% (from memory), this may be perceived as "pretty good," but it also means that well over 1000 people had negative experiences with them.

At the end of the day, it's just a memory card.  Most likely they'll fill the order without issue - but I wouldn't be ordering a camera body from them.

-- hide signature --

www.philippenewman.com

Cerebral Knievel's gear list:Cerebral Knievel's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads