photo backup when travel

Started Mar 12, 2018 | Discussions
CE3 Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Re: photo backup when travel

I checked out all the other recommendations in this thread, and based on the $40 price tag, the Amazon reviews of each product, and the fact that I already have a couple very tiny portable SSD drives at home, the RAVpower still wins for me.

I’m often visiting remote places with limited data connectivity, where uploading a bunch of RAW photos to a cloud server every day is not an option. And even when I do have access to WiFi, the networks are often not secure, and uploading to the cloud would likely be more time consuming than a direct transfer at USB 2.0 speeds.

Ordered!

CE3's gear list:CE3's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +6 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 8,068

CE3 wrote:

I checked out all the other recommendations in this thread, and based on the $40 price tag, the Amazon reviews of each product, and the fact that I already have a couple very tiny portable SSD drives at home, the RAVpower still wins for me.

I’m often visiting remote places with limited data connectivity, where uploading a bunch of RAW photos to a cloud server every day is not an option. And even when I do have access to WiFi, the networks are often not secure, and uploading to the cloud would likely be more time consuming than a direct transfer at USB 2.0 speeds.

Ordered!

Great! Let us know how you like it. I am on the verge of ordering one myself.

I’m about to go on a two week photo excursion, so I’m finally ready to put the RAWpower to the test. I’ve formatted my drives and set everything up.

Here are a few iOS app screenshots:

^ This is the main page. Once the drives mount you’ll see their icons on the bottom left corner. When the transfer is done, you can tap the icons to (properly) eject the drives. If you’re connecting an SD card and an SSD at the same time it takes about 60-90 seconds for both drives to mount

File/Folder is where you’ll go to navigate to either drive.

I’m really happy to see that you can create new folders within the drives on the app, and that “Select All” is an option.

My game plan for staying organized and keeping things as easy as possible is to create a new dated folder each night in DCIM on my SD card:

Then Select All the photos from that day and move them to the new folder.

Note that I’m moving the image files to a new folder in the SD card - not copying. Since I’m not deleting the files off the SD.. just backing them up.. I don’t want duplicates there.

^The move option can be selected by tapping the three-dotted "More" circle on the bottom right.

After that I'll select the folder and copy to the SSD.

Done.

I also changed View Mode on my cameras from Date View to Folder View, so I don’t have a bunch of greyed out “unable to display” files.

I figure if I don’t do things this way I'll have to individually select files to transfer, which is far too tedious and time consuming. (Not sure if I'll be backing up video either)

I’ll update this thread with a report on how it all went sometime next month. *fingers crossed*

You certainly can't beat the portability!

Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +6 more
shultz
shultz Regular Member • Posts: 413

CE3 wrote:

I’m about to go on a two week photo excursion, so I’m finally ready to put the RAWpower to the test. I’ve formatted my drives and set everything up.

Here are a few iOS app screenshots:

^ This is the main page. Once the drives mount you’ll see their icons on the bottom left corner. When the transfer is done, you can tap the icons to (properly) eject the drives. If you’re connecting an SD card and an SSD at the same time it takes about 60-90 seconds for both drives to mount

File/Folder is where you’ll go to navigate to either drive.

I’m really happy to see that you can create new folders within the drives on the app, and that “Select All” is an option.

My game plan for staying organized and keeping things as easy as possible is to create a new dated folder each night in DCIM on my SD card:

Then Select All the photos from that day and move them to the new folder.

Note that I’m moving the image files to a new folder in the SD card - not copying. Since I’m not deleting the files off the SD.. just backing them up.. I don’t want duplicates there.

^The move option can be selected by tapping the three-dotted "More" circle on the bottom right.

After that I'll select the folder and copy to the SSD.

Done.

I also changed View Mode on my cameras from Date View to Folder View, so I don’t have a bunch of greyed out “unable to display” files.

I figure if I don’t do things this way I'll have to individually select files to transfer, which is far too tedious and time consuming. (Not sure if I'll be backing up video either)

I’ll update this thread with a report on how it all went sometime next month. *fingers crossed*

You certainly can't beat the portability!

Be warned I used that device from ravpower in April in the USA, good job like you I didn’t delete images off the cards as I found it had only copied the first 100 images per card, meaning loads were never actually backed up

shultz's gear list:shultz's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Venus Laowa 25mm F2.8 2.5-5X Macro Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +4 more
Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,729

WD MyPassport Pro

-- hide signature --

A7iii | A7rii | RX10 iv | RX100 v | 70-200 2.8 GM | 55 1.8 ZA | 85 1.8 | 90 2.8 Macro | 28 f2 | Godox tt685s (x3) & Xpro-S | Zhiyun Crane v2
------------------------
http://501concepts.com

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +9 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,153

These days I backed up to both MackBook Pro's hard drive and a WD portable 2 TB drive via MacBook.  Used to carry HyperDrive in the past that can backup CF/SD card by itself.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more

shultz wrote:

Be warned I used that device from ravpower in April in the USA, good job like you I didn’t delete images off the cards as I found it had only copied the first 100 images per card, meaning loads were never actually backed up

Thanks for the warning Shultz. I only tested small transfers when setting up, so I'll be sure to double check the SSD going forward.

The online feedback and reviews are fairly mixed for all the products mentioned in this thread, so I'll take my chances with the $40 option first and see how it goes.

Rhawi Dantas
Rhawi Dantas Contributing Member • Posts: 693

This is incredible. I have been searching for something like this for so long. The price is also makes it that its not a big investment.

I have been wanting something like this that would help me backup my files while hiking, sometimes up to 6-8 hours a day, which makes me carrying a laptop (Macbook 13 inch) a huge literal pain in the back.

My only question is if it supports ExFat? I still carry my laptop with me in trips for some light editing and I have a couple of samsung external hdds that would not want to give it away because of it.

Only thing missing in this beauty is a solar panel for auto charging and an espresso maker. Am I being nitpicky?

Rhawi Dantas's gear list:Rhawi Dantas's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron +6 more

Rhawi Dantas wrote:

This is incredible. I have been searching for something like this for so long. The price is also makes it that its not a big investment.

I have been wanting something like this that would help me backup my files while hiking, sometimes up to 6-8 hours a day, which makes me carrying a laptop (Macbook 13 inch) a huge literal pain in the back.

My only question is if it supports ExFat? I still carry my laptop with me in trips for some light editing and I have a couple of samsung external hdds that would not want to give it away because of it.

Only thing missing in this beauty is a solar panel for auto charging and an espresso maker. Am I being nitpicky?

Yes, it does : ) You actually have to format the hard drive to exFAT, even if you use a Mac.

Rhawi Dantas
Rhawi Dantas Contributing Member • Posts: 693

Amazing indeed.
Went to check in Amazon DE if they deliver to Sweden, nope. Then in Amazon UK, double the price. Grrrrr
Gotta find a way.

Rhawi Dantas's gear list:Rhawi Dantas's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron +6 more
Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Veteran Member • Posts: 3,797

Kent Ekasak wrote:

When I travel, I normally backed up images and VDO on iPad and Google Photoes app (cloud service)..

I found Google Photoes super convenient since I can share some images with others too..BUT from what I know, the service is FREE with unlimited storage only with less-than-16mp images.. Fee applied if >16mp, or it will compress file into 16mp..

So, I’m curious is there any other good back up alternatives (especially on the cloud)? Thank u v m

Cloud backup while traveling is usually WiFi, LTE, 4G limited rather than image size limited. Too slow and too time consuming and too expensive (LTE costs $$$ in Asia) to sync 32gb+ cards anywhere except Google hotspots in practice.

That said, there are dozens of auto sync photo and file apps to accodomate images once they are on the device and the app is open.

I’ve seen folks use private Google Photos, Flickr, DropBox, OneDrive, and others.

I use Apple Photos for priority images (top 50 per day, if there’s that much), during travel. Then backup the rest when i get home. Keeps wait and upload times down so they don’t interfere with the vacation.

Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VI Apple iPhone 7 Plus
nofumble Senior Member • Posts: 2,180
Why waste traveling time?

Unless you get bored in a hotel? The wifi speed at most hotel is too slow for upload big files. Why can't you just buy big memory cards?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads