Best smartphone

Started Mar 12, 2018 | User reviews
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,880
Best smartphone

(+) stylus, display, removable battery, back cover can hide 3xSIM adaptor, stabilised camera is good, IR remote
(-) no raw, average battery capacity, no FM radio

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Pentax X-5 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +43 more
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
5.7 screen • 16 megapixels (rear) • 4 megapixels (front)
Announced: Sep 3, 2014
xmeda's score
5.0
Average community score
3.9
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,616
Re: Best smartphone

xmeda wrote:

(+) stylus, display, removable battery, back cover can hide 3xSIM adaptor, stabilised camera is good, IR remote
(-) no raw, average battery capacity, no FM radio

Also (-) not water resistant. The removable battery is only a mild advantage compared to having a phone that I don't have to worry about if I get caught out in the rain.

On the other hand, it gets a + from me for not having the ridiculous 18:9 aspect ratio of the new phones.

fstws6
fstws6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,652
Re: Best smartphone
1

Still own Note 4. it's been relegated as backup to my S8+ which blows it out of the water

 fstws6's gear list:fstws6's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 4,158
Re: Best smartphone

Samsungs are great if you can stomach TouchWiz and don't care about software updates.

 PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) +3 more
Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: Best smartphone

Two words: Nova Launcher.

 Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,616
Re: Best smartphone

PhotoFactor wrote:

Samsungs are great if you can stomach TouchWiz and don't care about software updates.

I don't have problems with TouchWiz on my Note4.  Not sure what you mean about software updates; the frequency of the updates has more to do with the carrier.  The last update pushed to my phone is 6.0.1.

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 4,158
Re: Best smartphone

Mark B. wrote:

PhotoFactor wrote:

Samsungs are great if you can stomach TouchWiz and don't care about software updates.

I don't have problems with TouchWiz on my Note4. Not sure what you mean about software updates; the frequency of the updates has more to do with the carrier. The last update pushed to my phone is 6.0.1.

No, it has to do with the manufacturer.

Buying from Google with their phones means you get every OS major update for 2 years and a security update monthly. As a contrast, my wife's Note 8 (lastest model introduced last year) still has not gotten Android Oreo (v8, introduced six months ago), and her security updates come every 2-3 months. My Pixel 2 XL is running Android Oreo v8.1.

 PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads