Powershot S100 strange 'Lens error', cannot fix it

Started Mar 11, 2018 | Discussions
mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,382
Powershot S100 strange 'Lens error', cannot fix it

This afternoon after taking a few videos which succeeded, and then I wanted to take another and powered on my S100 and I got a strange error. I did not drop or bump the camera in the meantime and cannot see any mechanical defect. Is it a software error ?

"Lens error. Will shut down automatically. Restart camera"

But it does not shut down and I am unable to restart. I removed the battery, recharged it, but to no avail.

I have had this camera used for over six years and used extensively, but I never had any problems.

Does anyone recognize this ?

This stays visible for only one second after powering on.

And the lens keeps opened and does not retract.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,360
Re: Powershot S100 strange 'Lens error', cannot fix it

Lens error on the S100 and similar cameras is a known problem. Quite a few thread on it over the years. For instance this one.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51148353

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60112533

I know the camera is outside the free repair period.  But Canon still might do a free repair. The way corporations work is an amount of money is set aside called "warranty reserve"    If expected returns are less than expected number sometimes money is still there and they will pay out.   Ford once fixed the air conditioner in my car even though the warranty was nine months expired. When I asked a Ford engineer about it later he explained warranty reserve to me.  It was kind of a similar situations. More problems than planned for occurred and some extra funds were set aside. Then the fund wasn't depleted as fast as expected but the decision had already been made to spend the money until depleted.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
saaber1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,164

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Lens error on the S100 and similar cameras is a known problem. Quite a few thread on it over the years. For instance this one.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51148353

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60112533

I know the camera is outside the free repair period. But Canon still might do a free repair. The way corporations work is an amount of money is set aside called "warranty reserve" If expected returns are less than expected number sometimes money is still there and they will pay out. Ford once fixed the air conditioner in my car even though the warranty was nine months expired. When I asked a Ford engineer about it later he explained warranty reserve to me. It was kind of a similar situations. More problems than planned for occurred and some extra funds were set aside. Then the fund wasn't depleted as fast as expected but the decision had already been made to spend the money until depleted.

Agree very common problem I have seen described in numerous places.  Seems like a very easy DIY fix to me.  Can't remember if it was on youtube or a blog where I saw the DIY procedure but there are good descriptions on how to fix.  The little connector comes unconnected and you simply reconnect it.  I would put a little glue on it to keep it from coming off again.  Personally I wouldn't be afraid to DIY.  I've taken off the cover to fix little things many times on Canon elphs/point and shoots.  Just go slow and don't lose the little screws.

OP mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,382

I'll give it a try.

Which screws do I have to unscrew ?

The other thread on this problem talks about 'six screws' but I found two on the bottom and two on the front.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more

mermaidkiller wrote:

I'll give it a try.

Which screws do I have to unscrew ?

The other thread on this problem talks about 'six screws' but I found two on the bottom and two on the front.

Also FWIW I noticed one report of someone calling canon and they fixed free of charge because it’s a known issue. So that might be worth a phone call to check.

EonStrife Junior Member • Posts: 28

In Singapore here. I got this error on my S100 too. I brought it to Canon Service Centre, and they repaired it for free.

EonStrife's gear list:EonStrife's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
OP mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,382

Well, I tried to repair it myself after viewing Youtube videos, but to no avail.
I informed repair cost, but that was at least $200, so a no-go.

Finally I bought a G7X Mk2.

-- hide signature --

mermaidkiller wrote:

Well, I tried to repair it myself after viewing Youtube videos, but to no avail.
I informed repair cost, but that was at least $200, so a no-go.

Finally I bought a G7X Mk2.

Darn! On the plus side, the g7xii is an impressive camera for its size. I’ve been testing it relative to other cameras and for some shots it’s image quality is equal to a full frame Nikon d750 w/ high quality lenses.

I Just got the lensmate adapter ($26) for the g7xii to mount a 52mm polarizer so I’ll give that a try next.

I think you will like the g7xii. It’s manual controls are very accessible and customizable. For example you can use the dial around the lens for shutter speed and the rotating ring on the back as a dial for aperture.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads