Comparison Chart - a7III / a7RIII / a7RII / a9

Started Mar 11, 2018 | Discussions
mugen Regular Member • Posts: 314
Comparison Chart - a7III / a7RIII / a7RII / a9

A small comparison chart that I made a few days ago for a Bulgarian forum and I just translated into English. I hope it is useful.

If you find errors or want to add something please comment.

mugen's gear list:mugen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,059
Re: Comparison Chart - a7III / a7RIII / a7RII / a9

Is the AF area figure on the A7R2 in your nice listing really correct? I've seen numbers around 60% coverage.

Also, I think one can map an AF-ON button on the A7RII to a custom button if I remember correctly.

If you with AF Zone Multi Selector mean the Joystick, then the A7RII can have a similar function mapped to the regular "wheel dial" on the back and using the four button in the wheel to move the AF point around and toggling to the normal function on the button in the middle.

Also, one thing that is missing in almost all features comparisons I've seen, is AF speed.
I know it is hard to get any values on that since there doesn't seem to exist any publicized figures from any one that I have seen, but this is one thing that confuses people to believe that the A7III and the A9 have the same good AF. They do in amount of AF points but not in processing speed of the incoming AF data where A9 has much better and faster processing and also therefor tracks much better on fast objects.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
My wide angle lens has so much field curvature that it bends the space time continuum.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

richpjr Regular Member • Posts: 322

No battery charger included with the A7III?  Yuk.  Guess they had to cut somewhere to come out with a camera like that for the price it's at.

richpjr's gear list:richpjr's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
le_alain Senior Member • Posts: 1,992

mugen wrote:

A small comparison chart that I made a few days ago for a Bulgarian forum and I just translated into English. I hope it is useful.

If you find errors or want to add something please comment.

Thanks, very informative, and very good work !

For the A7RII,

- You have AF on button, in center of the swich AF/AE

- You have 0 frame rates in continus drive, with the electronic shutter, only in single drive mode and it is a pity ...

- FPS in electronic shutter mode shouldn't be "-" with A7RIII from what I read at Steve Huff I think and here from Jim kasson:

http://blog.kasson.com/a7riii/how-fast-silent-shutter/

"-" -> No electronic shutter in continus mode with A7RIII and A7 III ?

- electronic shutter from 30s to 1/8000s

Would be interesting to see also the lowest frame rate you can select in conyinus drive, the 5FPs min of the A9 are too much for me, 2.5 was perfect, and you can't choose the value of minimum frame rate as you can on a Nikon

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
OP mugen Regular Member • Posts: 314

lattesweden wrote:

Is the AF area figure on the A7R2 in your nice listing really correct? I've seen numbers around 60% coverage.......

45% coverage with PDAF points, it's more with CDAF.

The data in the row it's for the PDAF area, maybe I should edit that in the chart.

Thanks.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
C47 Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Thank you for sharing. I didn't know that there isn't a battery charger in the box of the A7III which means that you have to buy one for about $100 if you don't already have an A9 or A7RIII.

C47's gear list:C47's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
derekDOCK
derekDOCK Forum Member • Posts: 54

C47 wrote:

Thank you for sharing. I didn't know that there isn't a battery charger in the box of the A7III which means that you have to buy one for about $100 if you don't already have an A9 or A7RIII.

Yeah that is unfortunate.

derekDOCK's gear list:derekDOCK's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4

C47 wrote:

Yes, the original one it's too pricey ($88), but there are cheap Chinese options in eBay and even B&H.

MikeRan Contributing Member • Posts: 626

AutoISO is adjustable up to 25,600 on the a9.  100-6400 is not correct.  I would have thought all would be adjustable, but the max range may be different for each.

MikeRan's gear list:MikeRan's gear list
Sony a9 II Sony a1 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +11 more

MikeRan wrote:

AutoISO is adjustable up to 25,600 on the a9. 100-6400 is not correct. I would have thought all would be adjustable, but the max range may be different for each.

Hm, may have been changed with firmware update.

I'm using specifications from Sony PDF brochures.

lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,059

mugen wrote:

45% coverage with PDAF points, it's more with CDAF.

Aha, maybe then write both values?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
My wide angle lens has so much field curvature that it bends the space time continuum.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

MikeRan Contributing Member • Posts: 626

mugen wrote:

MikeRan wrote:

AutoISO is adjustable up to 25,600 on the a9. 100-6400 is not correct. I would have thought all would be adjustable, but the max range may be different for each.

Hm, may have been changed with firmware update.

I'm using specifications from Sony PDF brochures.

Could be.  I know this behavior has been present since FW 1.01.

MikeRan's gear list:MikeRan's gear list
Sony a9 II Sony a1 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads