ND1000 filter colour shift

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
stevesayskanpai Contributing Member • Posts: 626
ND1000 filter colour shift

Hi all,

I'm using an ND1000 (10 stop) filter on my lenses and have noticed a colour shift, even though it is a reputable brand (Hoya). I know the samples aren't in focus (shot through a window, too cold/lazy to go outside!), but do you think there is an issue with my copy of the filter? The ND shots definitely seem cooler. Any advice appreciated.

First two shots are with the ND, second two are without the ND.

ND-1

ND-2

No ND-1

No ND-2

-- hide signature --

Constructive criticism of my travel photography portfolio is always welcome:
www.stevenjamesmartin.com
https://www.facebook.com/stevenjamesmartinphotography/
Twitter @stevesayskanpai

stevesayskanpai's gear list:stevesayskanpai's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Re: ND1000 filter colour shift

stevesayskanpai wrote:

Hi all,

I'm using an ND1000 (10 stop) filter on my lenses and have noticed a colour shift, even though it is a reputable brand (Hoya). I know the samples aren't in focus (shot through a window, too cold/lazy to go outside!), but do you think there is an issue with my copy of the filter? The ND shots definitely seem cooler. Any advice appreciated.

First two shots are with the ND, second two are without the ND.

ND-1

ND-2

No ND-1

No ND-2

Most ND filters even the really good ones exhibit some colour shift. The more the higher the ND factor the worse it is. The Hoya is probably excellent value but there are much higher end ones, which are better, but it is diminishing returns. So long as the colour is even across the shot and consistent then it's pretty easy to fix with one click for a whole series of results.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @vinnypimages

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Nikon D5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +64 more
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 4,097

As Vince mentions, minor colour shifts with a strong ND are not unusual, but there are two other things to check.

The easy one is to be sure that you have blocked the finder on your dSLR. Here's an extreme example of what can happen otherwise with a 16-stop ND:

Oops.

As for the second, it turns out that many ND filters are almost transparent in the near infrared. I think the Hoya ProND1000 may be one of them. This wasn't much of an issue with film since most film wasn't sensitive to IR. But digital sensors are a different story. When you block 99.9+% of the visible light, the IR "contribution" can cause exposure errors and color shifts.

Because of this, Hoya and several other companies have started selling "IRND" filters, which block both visible and infrared light. The Hoya replacement for the ProND1000 is the Solas IRND 3.0 .

-- hide signature --

“But why think about that when all the golden lands ahead of you and all kinds of unforeseen events wait lurking to surprise you and make you glad you're alive to see?”
— Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

I've also experienced some color shift with one of the Hoya polarizing filters, but can't recall which one.

I'm assuming you have the windows open.  If you're shooting through the window glass you testing would be invalid.

-- hide signature --

"Good judgement is generally the result of experience. Experience, unfortunately, is generally the result of bad judgement" - attributed to a whole bunch of folks

OP stevesayskanpai Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Oops. Through glass. Out of interest why would this make it invalid?

-- hide signature --

Twitter @stevesayskanpai

Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

stevesayskanpai wrote:

Oops. Through glass. Out of interest why would this make it invalid?

Every time the light passes a glass/air interface something changes. In designing lenses they can sometimes make this a beneficial change. They also use very expensive and carefully formed and polished glass where they know what sort of effect it will have on color.

Such is not the case with your window glass. Think of it as a really really cheap crappy counterfeit filter some little fellow makes in his garage in China and sells for 99 cents and free shipping on eBay

-- hide signature --

"Good judgement is generally the result of experience. Experience, unfortunately, is generally the result of bad judgement" - attributed to a whole bunch of folks

OP stevesayskanpai Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Here are some new samples, not taken through glass. Any thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Twitter @stevesayskanpai

Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 1,794

I don't think there is a problem with the color cast of your filter. If so, it is a bit cooler which is easily correctable in post. More importantly, I would recommend you take the time to figure out exactly how much reduction of light the filter is giving you. I think it is more than 10 stops.

Look at your second set of pic without the window glass. Your base SS is 1/80sec. 10-stops should give you 13sec. And yet, your 15sec exposure is still a bit darker than reference shot.

Knowing your shutter speeds more accurately will save you time in the field when your exposures are minutes long. Long expsoure noise reduction in Nikon bodies doubles the shutter times. So, repeating those shots will chew up battery life.

Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
I had the same issue with B+W 110 etc.

with noticeable color shift etc. I tried a couple of other brands like Lee and had the same issue. Recently I came upon a brand called Breakthrough Photography and really like their ND filters. I have the 6 stop and 10 stop and see no shift in color. If you get a chance check that brand out.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +2 more
TomS53 Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: I had the same issue with B+W 110 etc.

Which type (model) of the Breakthrough filter do you have? TIA

TomS53's gear list:TomS53's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: I had the same issue with B+W 110 etc.

Hi there - I have the 6 and the 10 stop. The 6 stop can be found here . These are really good filters.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads