How to zoom smooth on sony a6300?

Started Mar 3, 2018 | Questions
AndrianV
AndrianV New Member • Posts: 9
How to zoom smooth on sony a6300?

Hi,

I have a sony 6300 and lens: Sony Vario-Tessar e 4/16-70

I know how to do the zoom (optical) manually, but I can't do this zoom really smooth, it is possible to do the zoom (optical) smoothly using the camera setting or a button?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,786
Re: How to zoom smooth on sony a6300?

AndrianV wrote:

Hi,

I have a sony 6300 and lens: Sony Vario-Tessar e 4/16-70

I know how to do the zoom (optical) manually, but I can't do this zoom really smooth, it is possible to do the zoom (optical) smoothly using the camera setting or a button?

Thanks.

I assume that this is for video.

The first suggestion is not to zoom during video - the professionals hardly ever zoom.

Next suggestion: The vast majority of still photography lenses have no motor for zooming, it is manual zoom only.  However, a very small number of lenses intended for video do have a zoom motor.   So see whether there is any lens available for your Sony with electronic zoom.  Panasonic has a couple and Olympus has one, so there might be one available for Sony E mount.  Ask on the Sony NEX E Mount forum.

The third suggestion is complicated.  Professional videographers use a device called a follow focus for manual focusing during video.  This uses an external mechanism to increase the gearing of the focus ring so that it can be turned very slowly.  There may be similar devices available for zoom rings as well but they will probably be unwieldy and only usable with the camera on a tripod.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,468
Re: How to zoom smooth on sony a6300?

<Puts on ex-cameraman hat>

Any smooth zoom during a take really needs to be on a tripod, or (possibly) an extremely well stabilized camera. No point in a smooth zoom if the lens axis is wandering around.

There are two tricks you can try:

Add (clamp, glue!...) a zoom lever to your lens -- if you look at cine zooms from back in the days before all the electronics you'll see that most of them had a lever for zooming. This is easier than turning a zoom ring with your fingertips

Either  on the zoom ring

or as the sole control

The other one definitely needs a tripod. You wind some low tack tape round the zoom ring and slowly pull it off, thereby rotating the ring. Back in the day we used insulation tape, the old cloth based variety.

-- hide signature --

Albert
The lazy photographer

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,786
Sony 16-50mm PZ

The Sony 16-50mm PZ lens has power zoom.  I don't know whether there are any other Sony "PZ" lenses.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,408
Re: Sony 16-50mm PZ

The Sony 18-105mm f/4 is a power zoom lens.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads