Any way to charge X-T2 without a charger?

Started Mar 3, 2018 | Discussions
Asa7 Regular Member • Posts: 158
Any way to charge X-T2 without a charger?

I just rented Fujifilm X-T2, and the camera and lens is working fine, but the charger doesn't work! I have to work tomorrow, but I can't charge the batteries. Is there any way to charge the batteries without a charger? When I connect the camera to my laptop with a USB cable, the small green light on the top right close to the AF-L button comes on, does it mean it's charging the batter, or it just means it's connected to the laptop??? I hope it means it's charging!!! Thanks in advance!

Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,138
Yes

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
OP Asa7 Regular Member • Posts: 158
Re: Yes

Oh great, thank you!!! I guess I won't be able to charge it while shooting but at least it's charging now. Thank so much for the image of the manual, too! They didn't give me the manual! Oh well, I should have checked everything more carefully when I was at the rental shop.

dshombert Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Any way to charge X-T2 without a charger?

Yes, the indicator lamp (as it's called) glowing green indicates that the battery is charging. Don't let the computer go into Sleep mode, that will interrupt the charging process.

-- hide signature --

Enjoyin' my coffee!.

Thank you!

BassFisher
BassFisher Regular Member • Posts: 482

Asa7 wrote:

I just rented Fujifilm X-T2, and the camera and lens is working fine, but the charger doesn't work! I have to work tomorrow, but I can't charge the batteries. Is there any way to charge the batteries without a charger? When I connect the camera to my laptop with a USB cable, the small green light on the top right close to the AF-L button comes on, does it mean it's charging the batter, or it just means it's connected to the laptop??? I hope it means it's charging!!! Thanks in advance!

USB charger banks are relatively cheap

-- hide signature --

BillD
Sydney, Australia
Time is the only thing I don't have enough of.

BassFisher's gear list:BassFisher's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
rgleich
rgleich Contributing Member • Posts: 565

With a plug-in phone charger with USB Output, (instead of using a PC USB Port) - you won’t have to worry about the PC going into sleep mode.  There are A LOT of places to get a cheap USB charger if you don’t have one with you.

rgleich's gear list:rgleich's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more

Ah good advice! Thanks! I have many USB charger and I have a phone charger and canon 5D mark II & III charger with USB port, so that would be perfect!!!

I have a USB charger bank so I just tried one but it didn't work. Maybe mine's too little volume for it to work. But thanks!

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,345

As other have said yes, it's charging.

I hope you have a second battery? If so then swap and charge that one too. Mirrorless eats batteries if you're not familiar with them.

Here's a link to the X-T2's manual.

Enjoy.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more

Oh nice, thank you! Yes, I have 3 batteries and charging all of them, but I have 10 hr shoot tomorrow! I also have Canon 5D mark II and III, too, so I think I'll survive. But yes, I was surprised how quickly those batteries dies. I was just test shooting and one of them already died! 
I'm reading the manual now but is there any way to minimize the battery usage? Maybe turn off the screen automatically when it's not in use? Right now, it stays for pretty long time unless I turn the camera off. I am used to 5D series camera screens, which turns off after a few seconds so I was worried about the screen always on. Plus I don't shoot with the screen.

Found the auto power off! Thanks!

M Colyer Regular Member • Posts: 469

I went on holiday in January with my X-T20 but forgot to take the charger. Being in Lanzarote at the time, Fuji suppliers were few and far between.  Then discovered my wifes Kindle uses the same connector, so used her charger instead. Problem solved and lesson learnt.

baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 17,380

Something like poweradd pilot

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,350

The Watson Duo charger is excellent and versatile with its interchangeable plates. I have two, one configured with NP-W126 and Sony BX1.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T4 Leica M11 +32 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 17,380

In Europe AKA Patona, very good indeed

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
GreatSouls Forum Member • Posts: 67

Asa7 wrote:

Oh nice, thank you! Yes, I have 3 batteries and charging all of them, but I have 10 hr shoot tomorrow! I also have Canon 5D mark II and III, too, so I think I'll survive. But yes, I was surprised how quickly those batteries dies. I was just test shooting and one of them already died!
I'm reading the manual now but is there any way to minimize the battery usage? Maybe turn off the screen automatically when it's not in use? Right now, it stays for pretty long time unless I turn the camera off. I am used to 5D series camera screens, which turns off after a few seconds so I was worried about the screen always on. Plus I don't shoot with the screen.

On the right side of the viewfinder there is a small button. It alternates between different modes / combinations of the viewfinder and screen. Give it a try. You can switch to only using the viewfinder and there is even a mode (EVF+eye sensor) which will use a sensor to turn off the EVF when you are not looking through it and back on when you move the camera up to your eye. This + turning off the camera between the shots should help preserve the battery. The camera is ready almost instantly after turning on. If turn-on-to-ready speed is critical for you, make sure you disable the sensor cleaning on start - stop. You can always activate it manually after you have changed the lens if you want.
Good Luck

GreatSouls's gear list:GreatSouls's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
MarcosV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,466

Asa7 wrote:

Sorry to hear the charger didn't work.

Did you reach out to the company that you rented from?  Not being able to charge batteries can really mess up the rental.  They should compensate you somehow.

MarcosV's gear list:MarcosV's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +32 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,345

Asa7 wrote:

As Greatsouls mentioned use the small button on the right side of the viewfinder to toggle through the options. EVF+Eye Sensor is the most battery efficient and also turn off the auto review after each shot. The nice thing about mirrorless is the WYSIWYG aspect of the EVF. I also turn my camera off and on frequently to conserve batteries.

BTW there is the vertical power grip for the XT-2 which takes 2 additional batteries so you have 3 fully charged to start. The grip comes with it's own charger so you don't need to remove the grip or its batteries to charge them but you still have to charge the in camera battery separately.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads