Panasonic ZS200 Reviews

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
SonyRocks Regular Member • Posts: 414
Panasonic ZS200 Reviews

I just wanted to share that the reviews are starting to come out for those interested in this camera like myself.

Ephotozine

Gearopen

Panasonic ZS200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
Re: Panasonic ZS200 Reviews

Thanks.

I sites I usually go to, besides DPR, are:

Imaging Resource
PhotographyBlog - has sample JPG & RAW images available to view/ download
CameraLabs

Can find many others via periodic Google Searches

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +16 more
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,893

Good sources, Jon.  But I doubt there are any reviews yet with samples from a production ZS200.

I hope the lens Q/A is better than it has been with the ZS100. My friend and I tested four to get two good copies .. and the one DPR reviewed didn't have great optics.  So I expect a similar process with the ZS200, but hope I'm surprised!

Given the price and slower lens, I'll probably stick with my (excellent) ZS100. 250 mm is enough for me in beltable camera

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818

PC Wheeler wrote:

Good sources, Jon. But I doubt there are any reviews yet with samples from a production ZS200. ...

Yep, PhotographyBlog site notes pre-production TZ200.

I hope the lens Q/A is better than it has been with the ZS100. My friend and I tested four to get two good copies .. and the one DPR reviewed didn't have great optics. So I expect a similar process with the ZS200, but hope I'm surprised!

Given the price and slower lens, I'll probably stick with my (excellent) ZS100. 250 mm is enough for me in beltable camera

Will be keeping my ZS100 as a pocketable alternative to the FZ1000.

Been considering eventually getting the RX10 IV as an upgrade to the FZ1000.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +16 more
PC Wheeler

Jon_T wrote:

Been considering eventually getting the RX10 IV as an upgrade to the FZ1000.

That's what I did, Jon. Alas, Panasonic forced it on me with the FZ2500. I love my RX10 IV

-- hide signature --

Phil

Ron_43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,533

PC Wheeler wrote:

Good sources, Jon. But I doubt there are any reviews yet with samples from a production ZS200.

I hope the lens Q/A is better than it has been with the ZS100.

I agree. Mine gives soft images. I get better images from my ZS60 and ZS70.

My friend and I tested four to get two good copies ..

Mine is a second copy and it's no better than the first one. I should have sent it back for a refund, but waited too long.

and the one DPR reviewed didn't have great optics. So I expect a similar process with the ZS200, but hope I'm surprised!

Yes, the ZS200 is listed in Canada at $1099.00 plus taxes - not for me. For a 1" sensor, I'll use my FZ1000 on occasion for night shots.

-- hide signature --

Phil

bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089

Got to wait for the pro reviews which include real-world samples - and also the first hundred or so user reviews. I'm interested in the FZ200, maybe, but I might join those who go back to the RX100 iv (to replace my beloved RX100 ii)

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 1,796

Ron_43 wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

Yes, the ZS200 is listed in Canada at $1099.00 plus taxes - not for me. For a 1" sensor, I'll use my FZ1000 on occasion for night shots.

Phil

Will you be putting the FZ1000 in your pocket?

Dave

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic G85 +1 more
AksCT Regular Member • Posts: 225

Jon_T wrote:

Thanks.

I sites I usually go to, besides DPR, are:

Imaging Resource
PhotographyBlog - has sample JPG & RAW images available to view/ download
CameraLabs

Can find many others via periodic Google Searches

I downloaded one of JPG on the long end of lens:

"http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz200/photos/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz200_33.jpg"

1/125s · f/7.1 · ISO 250 360mm (35mm)

There no part of this image which is in sharp focus (the same problem I had with two different ZS100 that I purchased/returned) and also there is excessive noise in this image, captured at ISO250

bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089

This selection of images is probably not representative of what the camera can do. True, that 360mm image is poor. But IMO this whole group of photos is not well done - exposures off, poor selection of subjects, and all of them are JPEGs, undoubtedly SOOC. I think I need to wait until there are both JPEG and RAW images which can be downloaded and processed.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

PC Wheeler

saudidave wrote:

Ron_43 wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

Phil

Will you be putting the FZ1000 in your pocket?

Dave

You messed up the quote, Dave.  That was Ron's msg; I no longer have an FZ1000.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler

bill hansen wrote:

This selection of images is probably not representative of what the camera can do. True, that 360mm image is poor. But IMO this whole group of photos is not well done - exposures off, poor selection of subjects, and all of them are JPEGs, undoubtedly SOOC. I think I need to wait until there are both JPEG and RAW images which can be downloaded and processed.

Absolutely, Bill!  We need a credible review of a production copy with good samples -- ala the DPR reviews and samples.

If it is truly stellar, I may consider replacing my ZS100 -- but my ZS100 is such a good copy that I'd do so only after much testing.

-- hide signature --

Phil

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,873

PC Wheeler wrote:

Good sources, Jon. But I doubt there are any reviews yet with samples from a production ZS200.

I hope the lens Q/A is better than it has been with the ZS100. My friend and I tested four to get two good copies .. and the one DPR reviewed didn't have great optics. So I expect a similar process with the ZS200, but hope I'm surprised!

You gotta love the number of redundant posts on DPR. This is from 2 days ago, 5 posts down. Actual sample shots (not that that they're so great)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4257635#forum-post-60809601

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Panasonic LX100 Casio EX-ZR5000 808 Google Pixel 2 +5 more
PC Wheeler

telefunk wrote:

You gotta love the number of redundant posts on DPR. This is from 2 days ago, 5 posts down. Actual sample shots (not that that they're so great)

I've been coming here, one forum or another, since 2004 and this redundancy is hardly new nor unique to this forum -- or even, dare I observe, the "News" area

-- hide signature --

Phil

telefunk

PC Wheeler wrote:

telefunk wrote:

I've been coming here, one forum or another, since 2004 and this redundancy is hardly new nor unique to this forum -- or even, dare I observe, the "News" area

A truer word was never said

Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Panasonic LX100 Casio EX-ZR5000 808 Google Pixel 2 +5 more
PC Wheeler

bill hansen wrote:

Got to wait for the pro reviews which include real-world samples - and also the first hundred or so user reviews. I'm interested in the ZS200, maybe, but I might join those who go back to the RX100 iv (to replace my beloved RX100 ii)

Bill, why not the RX100 V?  I had the RX100 III, IV and V -- and the IV I had was the worst of the bunch; The AF of the RX100 V is incredible.

But I decided the ZS100 was a better choice: 70 mm is just not enough reach for my uses.  And I'm not sure the f/3.3 wide of the ZS200 is fast enough either.

-- hide signature --

Phil

telefunk

PC Wheeler wrote:

bill hansen wrote:

Got to wait for the pro reviews which include real-world samples - and also the first hundred or so user reviews. I'm interested in the ZS200, maybe, but I might join those who go back to the RX100 iv (to replace my beloved RX100 ii)

Bill, why not the RX100 V? I had the RX100 III, IV and V -- and the IV I had was the worst of the bunch; The AF of the RX100 V is incredible.

But I decided the ZS100 was a better choice: 70 mm is just not enough reach for my uses. And I'm not sure the f/3.3 wide of the ZS200 is fast enough either.

The AF of my RX100III was its weak point, specially @ 70mm, and in full daylight.

But the TZ100 is not on the same level as a RX100... Unfortunately

telefunk

SonyRocks wrote:

I just wanted to share that the reviews are starting to come out for those interested in this camera like myself.

Ephotozine

Gearopen

Do you ever check if someone else has posted the same a few posts back?

AksCT Regular Member • Posts: 225

bill hansen wrote:

I am wishfully hoping that is the case and would try the camera when it is released. Deep down however, I suspect if they could not deliver a consistent quality with 25-250mm, going to 24-360mm (wider and longer) makes it event more challenging.

I kept the extra batteries, memory and external charger I bought for ZS100 (even after returning both ZS100s I bought). Keeping fingers crossed that ZS200 has reasonable image quality.

PC Wheeler

telefunk wrote:

The AF of my RX100III was its weak point, specially @ 70mm, and in full daylight.

But the TZ100 is not on the same level as a RX100... Unfortunately

Hmm .. I had AF issues with the RX100 IV but not the III.

And my ZS100 AF is great, likely due to the DFD. I'm very surprised yours is not.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads