OW! That's Sharp! Lenstip tests the 45mm f/1.2!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,230
OW! That's Sharp! Lenstip tests the 45mm f/1.2!

Enjoy!

https://www.optyczne.pl/443.1-Test_obiektywu-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_ED_45_mm_f_1.2_PRO.html

Translated:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=https://www.optyczne.pl/&prev=search

Best,

Jan

-- hide signature --

"In my opinion to search means nothing in painting. To find is the thing."
-Picasso
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Equivalence[sic], and why m4/3 is THE NATURAL CHOICE, for those who value very high quality AND excellent portability:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60478849

Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,481
Records smashed!!! 👏👏👏👏👏

Stunning!

I can see so many Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 selling cheap in the used lens market. 😱

RobbieBear Senior Member • Posts: 1,499
Re: Records smashed!!! 👏👏👏👏👏

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Stunning!

I can see so many Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f/1.2 selling cheap in the used lens market. 😱

A great day for all then!  Will have to keep an eye on the Nocticron!

Stabilised on my GM!

Sergey, you are causing a GAS attack!

RobbieBear's gear list:RobbieBear's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
pdelux Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Re: OW! That's Sharp! Lenstip tests the 45mm f/1.2!

Well thats horrible news, for my bank account.

Now I need to buy this lens as well as the 17 1.2

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,481

Haha.  We are so spoilt for portrait lens choices!  From.the super cheap and super sharp Sigma 60mm to this record holder.  Must be about 10 good portrait lenses now.

Will there ever be a 9mmm or 10mm though?

THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 191

for realz? Last few ebay auctions I've seen the Nocti going for over 900.00. I'd go with the Olympus 45mm 1.2 just so I didn't have to deal with the screw on hood.

nebulla Senior Member • Posts: 1,015

pdelux wrote:

Not me. The 45mm 1.8 is good enough and its fairly cheap. I can get enough DOF with it

nebulla's gear list:nebulla's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +8 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 2,785

Stunning result! Too sharp centrally wide open for many types of portraiture. But obviously I would rather be sliding the Micro Contrast slider to the left in DXO PL than trying to get more sharpness in processing.

Fortunately for my pocket I am not a huge 45mm FL fan. I get what I need from my Oly 45mm f1.8. But if Oly did a 75mm f1.2 I would be selling my 75mm f1.8 and a kidney for the balance!

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

nebulla wrote:

pdelux wrote:

Not me. The 45mm 1.8 is good enough and its fairly cheap. I can get enough DOF with it

True I also have the 1.8 and it has served me well but it depends on how far the subject is. 1.8 is certainly more than enough for head and shoulders portraits and tight full body shots

Put if you want to take full body portrait of a couple, or step back further to capture more context of the environment while still maintaining adequate separation, its not enough.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more

glassoholic wrote:

Stunning result! Too sharp centrally wide open for many types of portraiture. But obviously I would rather be sliding the Micro Contrast slider to the left in DXO PL than trying to get more sharpness in processing.

Fortunately for my pocket I am not a huge 45mm FL fan. I get what I need from my Oly 45mm f1.8. But if Oly did a 75mm f1.2 I would be selling my 75mm f1.8 and a kidney for the balance!

Considering they just announced a 12 1.2, it seems logical that the 75 1.2 is a real possibility.

glassoholic

pdelux wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Considering they just announced a 12 1.2, it seems logical that the 75 1.2 is a real possibility.

Nooooo....!!! $$$ Lots of overtime shifts coming then I suppose.

-- hide signature --

Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

glassoholic

pdelux wrote:

nebulla wrote:

pdelux wrote:

True I also have the 1.8 and it has served me well but it depends on how far the subject is. 1.8 is certainly more than enough for head and shoulders portraits and tight full body shots

Put if you want to take full body portrait of a couple, or step back further to capture more context of the environment while still maintaining adequate separation, its not enough.

That is all true... but I would curious to compare a 45mm 1.2 to a 75mm 1.8 full body length portrait for background separation. Maybe someone has the lenses to show me this?

-- hide signature --

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,010

glassoholic wrote:

pdelux wrote:

Hate to be "that guy" but all we've seen of a 12/1.2 is a patent filing, nothing like an announcement (so far as I've seen).

Nevertheless, the f:1.2 onslaught seems to be at full steam so guard your wallets and shred your credit cards!

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. The 45 looks amazing. How long before the first T-stop lecture?

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Skeeterbytes wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

pdelux wrote:

Hate to be "that guy" but all we've seen of a 12/1.2 is a patent filing, nothing like an announcement (so far as I've seen).

Nevertheless, the f:1.2 onslaught seems to be at full steam so guard your wallets and shred your credit cards!

Cheers,

Rick

Yes I stand corrected - it was not an announcement only a patent, but the rumour of the 12 1.2 has been around since the inception of these 1.2 primes, and the patent is one step closer.

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,010

pdelux wrote:

Yes I stand corrected - it was not an announcement only a patent, but the rumour of the 12 1.2 has been around since the inception of these 1.2 primes, and the patent is one step closer.

If it happens it will be an astrophotographer's dream lens. And pretty darn big!

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 41,334

glassoholic wrote:

pdelux wrote:

nebulla wrote:

pdelux wrote:

That is all true... but I would curious to compare a 45mm 1.2 to a 75mm 1.8 full body length portrait for background separation. Maybe someone has the lenses to show me this?

For the same framing and wide open, the 45 / 1.2 will have the more shallow DOF. However, assuming the background is "far enough away", the 75 / 1.8 will have up to 11% greater background blur.

Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 11,394

Jan Chelminski wrote:

Enjoy!

https://www.optyczne.pl/443.1-Test_obiektywu-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_ED_45_mm_f_1.2_PRO.html

Translated:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=https://www.optyczne.pl/&prev=search

Best,

Jan

Which one looks better?

Olympus 45/1.2 Pro

Sigma 135/1.8 on FF camera

Does it mean I am going to rush in and buy the second lens? - Maybe, but don't think so.

Sorry, they are a bit off in FL, I am just somewhat more used to 135mm than I would like to count on 90. Both are for the same purpose anyway, and Sigma was listed on that same page (one above) that you linked. But just compare, at f/2 on FF, f/1 equivalent on mFT, where would Olympus lens be? Ok, stop down a bit, still ... not that important for the edges, but if you must compare the eyelashes, which one would do better do you think?

-- hide signature --

- sergey

glassoholic

Skeeterbytes wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

pdelux wrote:

Cheers,

Rick

Sshhhhh...!

-- hide signature --

glassoholic

Great Bustard wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

pdelux wrote:

nebulla wrote:

pdelux wrote:

For the same framing and wide open, the 45 / 1.2 will have the more shallow DOF. However, assuming the background is "far enough away", the 75 / 1.8 will have up to 11% greater background blur.

Thank you! I had a gut feeling that this would be the case. However the working distance of a 45mm would be better to avoid shouting direction to the subject for a full length. Still I would be curious to see the different characteristics of actual shots.

-- hide signature --

Ab Latchin Contributing Member • Posts: 980

The Olympus for sure. It is quite clear from both those charts it is a far superior lens, especially the Bokeh quality. I mean I am surprised you cant see it.

But a more important question, why did you feel the urge to post this in response to the OP who had not mentioned another brand at all?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads