!!!!!! >>>> Macro/Closeup Thread 19 February 2018 <<<< !!!!!!

Started Feb 19, 2018 | Discussions
OP gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 6,333
Re: Our Daffodils are in bloom.
Re: frog or snake ?
Re: Dragonfly
Re: Still on Snowdrops here

Nice. The first works best for me.

Raynox 150 on 14-140. Interesting (as I've just got a 14-140).

Re: Still eto
Re: Our Magnolia is in bloom

Nice set. The last one works best for me too. Fingers crossed that they don't get frosted.

Re: From bud to blossom
Re: Jumping Spider
Re: em52 macro

Wonderful images again, especially for me all the detail of the last one. An interesting combination/composition in the  second.

Re: Twins
Re: Aquilegia, Hellebore, Camellia

AllAboutNature wrote:

Very lovely. The Camellia's are my favorite, which are not hardy in my area unfortunately.

Thanks. We are very fortunate to have a mild microclimate here.

richj20 wrote:

Beautiful flowers, Nick. What species of Aquilegia?

Thanks. We have quite a few of different colours that pop up all over the garden. My wife tells me they are all Aquilegia vulgaris.

- Richard

-- hide signature --

Jerry045 wrote:

Terrific details Nick. Great shots.

Thanks Jerry. I thought I had settled on the Olympus 60mm macro for flowers but it is now looking like the 14-140 may also be getting a lot of use for flowers. I am pleasantly surprised by how much detail it can capture.

-- hide signature --

DNSJR wrote:

very nice Nick, especially the Hellebore

Thanks. I was pleased how the 14-140 captured the Hellebore, and I much prefer using a zoom lens. So I think I may be using the 14-140 quite a bit for flowers (I'll be sticking with the FZ330 most of the time for invertebrates I think.)

jacketpotato wrote:

Water droplets amongst flowers, foliage amongst my favourite to view, to photograph.

Yes, droplets are a nice addition.

:::::

Had to look into macro lenses for my m43 as overcast yesterday tz20 couldn't cope high iso mush due to not enough light, iso 100 too slow shutter motion blur.

Oly 60/2.8 beyond my means as for now, Sigma 60/2.8 with Closeup filter i could, legacy glass macro too however they bulky on my carry about Gf3. Revering ring adapter cheapest option !

For now I've settled on Closeup +3 filter on my Jupiter 50mm/2 : 40.5mm filter thread. Its alright "arty" rather than detail. I would like detail as well. Perhaps placing quality closeup on Fz is a solution with Macro Zoom + Ez Zoom.

That is what I use for insects etc when I'm using flash. Mainly a Raynox 150 on the FZ330. I don't use macro zoom or EZ zoom with that setup though.

DNSJR Senior Member • Posts: 2,406
Re: Twins

thanks Nick, much appreciated

DNSJR's gear list:DNSJR's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,183

The close focus of the 14-140mm works well with Raynox, Nick. The only negative is that the lens convinced me to sell my FZ330!

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +3 more

windmillgolfer wrote:

The close focus of the 14-140mm works well with Raynox, Nick. The only negative is that the lens convinced me to sell my FZ330!

Interesting. I'm keeping my FZ330. That is what I'm going to carry on using for insects etc using flash with close-up lenses, primarily the Raynox 150. The way I work it doesn't make any difference to image quality and, for my subject matter, I get a better range of magnifications and better working distances with the FZ330 compared to my m43 (or APS-C) kit.

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,183

I hope something else comes along, ideally an FZ1500, and just thought it an opportune time to sell. Recouped 80% of the price I paid new, so after 2 years usage I’m quite happy with the decision. The 14-140mm with Raynox 150 is pretty good for now.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +3 more
SDKat New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Oly C-720 Re: !!!!!! >>>> Macro/Closeup Thread 19 February 2018 <<<< !!!!!!

jacketpotato wrote:

SDKat wrote:

Made me furious that I gave away my Olympus C-720

Kat im curious re Oly C-720. Did it have excellent macro. Im on the lookout for a quality macro compact tele end.

Ive had Oly compacts https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4243121

I have a C-750 now, and an SP-620, and an FZ80.  The 720 took great macros, I was shooting plants in the yard, and it wasn't until put the pix on my 24 inch monitor that I realized I'd caught an ant walking up a stem, and I could see it's legs and antenn easily.  I was amazed.  I expect the 750 to do as well. Sprng is almost here, now that we've had a little rain.

SDKat's gear list:SDKat's gear list
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads