EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM zoom ring...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Brian Davies
Brian Davies Regular Member • Posts: 221
EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM zoom ring...

I bought an EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM recently. All works fine but I am curious to know if others who have this lens find the zoom ring rather too easy to turn. It's not loose, doesn't wobble it is just spins far more easily than other Canon zoom rings. I find it a bit disconcerting. I'd be interested to know if others find the same. If not I'll whizz it off to CPS for a tighten up.

-- hide signature --

Best wishes
Brian
www.ello.co/rafikiphoto

Brian Davies's gear list:Brian Davies's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 11,131
Re: EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM zoom ring...

Mine is kind of easy but I would not call it too easy to turn. It is definitely easier to turn than the ring of my 50L, for example.

Spotted Cow Senior Member • Posts: 1,584

Mine is quite easy to turn as well. It doesn’t turn on its own but doesn’t take much effort to turn the zoom ring. It hasn’t bothered me any and the lens has produced excellent images.

Is there anywhere you can go to handle other 70-200mm f4L IS lenses to make the comparison if it’s bothering you?

pawn Senior Member • Posts: 1,853

Brian Davies wrote:

I bought an EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM recently. All works fine but I am curious to know if others who have this lens find the zoom ring rather too easy to turn. It's not loose, doesn't wobble it is just spins far more easily than other Canon zoom rings. I find it a bit disconcerting. I'd be interested to know if others find the same. If not I'll whizz it off to CPS for a tighten up.

-- hide signature --

Best wishes
Brian
www.ello.co/rafikiphoto

I have had 70-200mm f/4L IS lens for a while now.  The zoom on this lens is quite "loose" compared to other Canon L lenses I have.  I do not know if this is an issue or not.  It does produce sharp images though.

-- hide signature --
 pawn's gear list:pawn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Brian Davies
OP Brian Davies Regular Member • Posts: 221

Thanks everybody for your input. I, too, am happy with the quality of the output of the lens. From your replies it does seem that a certain looseness of the ring is a 'feature'. I rarely go to Seville but there is a dealership on the other side of the city. When I am that way I will pop in and try another copy just for interest

-- hide signature --

Best wishes
Brian

Brian Davies's gear list:Brian Davies's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads