AD200 Bare bulb issue?

Started Feb 14, 2018 | Discussions
Godox_Studio New Member • Posts: 10
AD200 Bare bulb issue?

Bought an AD200 along with a couple of AD600... it is still very new less than a month.  I used it for a test session took about 30 pictures all was working fine. I shut it off, left it mounted in the softbox and today went to take some more pictures and it won't fire.

The flash turns on and operates and the other head unit fires but the bare bulb does not... have there been issues with bare bulbs burning out if left sitting?  Should I have removed the battery while not in use?  Seems like I can see the bulb trying to spark or light but nothing.

Unit has not been dropped or hit, no one has been near it since it was last used and worked perfectly.

Godox_Studio's gear list:Godox_Studio's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G
Torsten Hoff Veteran Member • Posts: 3,787
Re: AD200 Bare bulb issue?

That’s a first. Are you sure the bulb is oriented correctly? There is a red mark on the bulb that must be lined up with a corresponding one on the socket. If you plug it in incorrectly, you will damage the bulb and possibly the head.

FrankZayas Regular Member • Posts: 290

I'm guessing you've already checked to make sure it's seated properly and tightly?  That's about all I can offer as I am not as technically oriented as some of these guys on here.

FrankZayas's gear list:FrankZayas's gear list
Nikon D850 Pentax 645Z Sony a7 III Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
OP Godox_Studio New Member • Posts: 10

Yes I have removed the head and reattached.  Did this when checking to ensure the other flash head still worked.

Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G

Yes It has been inserted correctly.  As mentioned it was firing fine during test session, left it turned off unattended and came back to it not working.  I can see a small spark in the tube when I press the test button.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,527

I hope you got a good return policy for replacement or refund when you bought the light.  Trying to deal with the Chinese distributors that sell on Amazon and eBay is an annoying waste of time.

In the USA Adorama is an official retailer of Godox gear, rebranding it as part of their Flashpoint line of photo equipment.  They offer good customer service and a good return and replacement policy so I always recommend you buy from them if you live in the USA.  helen@adorama is a member of DPReview and the person to contact if you have any problems with gear from Adorama.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +9 more
FrankZayas Regular Member • Posts: 290

Godox_Studio wrote:

Yes I have removed the head and reattached. Did this when checking to ensure the other flash head still worked.

Not the head, but the bulb itself.  It can wiggle loose.

FrankZayas's gear list:FrankZayas's gear list
Nikon D850 Pentax 645Z Sony a7 III Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,572

Sailor Blue wrote:

.... In the USA Adorama is an official retailer of Godox gear, rebranding it as part of their Flashpoint line of photo equipment. They offer good customer service and a good return and replacement policy so I always recommend you buy from them if you live in the USA. helen@adorama is a member of DPReview and the person to contact if you have any problems with gear from Adorama.

However, if you need customer support directly for any Adorama-branded gear, such as the Godox/Flashpoint or Jinbei/Orlit equipment, brands@adorama.com is the contact point to use.

Helen Oster is the Adorama messageboard contact, just as Henry Posneris the messageboard contact for B&H. But they can sometimes have their hands full just dealing with all the messageboard griping. It's not like dpreview is the only board they have to oversee.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +12 more

FrankZayas wrote:

Godox_Studio wrote:

Yes I have removed the head and reattached. Did this when checking to ensure the other flash head still worked.

Not the head, but the bulb itself. It can wiggle loose.

Yes I have tried removing the bulb and ensuring it is snug.  I guess it is back to the store with it.

AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,919

I've read that Godox quality is hit-and-miss and with a high failure rate. Sorry this is happening to you.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
NikonD800Es Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

You have read? What kind of info is that? Like "I have heard ...".

Hit and miss quality?

What % of issues and what failure rate qualify any brand for "hit and miss" tag?

All brands have issues with some products.   A higher number of complains for any brand product says nothing about its quality unless it is known what are output figures for that product.

AZBlue wrote:

I've read that Godox quality is hit-and-miss and with a high failure rate. Sorry this is happening to you.

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,698
Could it be ...

... that it has enough power left to power up, but not enough to fire? Is it fully charged?

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +15 more
AZBlue

NikonD800Es wrote:

You have read? What kind of info is that? Like "I have heard ...".

Hit and miss quality?

What % of issues and what failure rate qualify any brand for "hit and miss" tag?

All brands have issues with some products. A higher number of complains for any brand product says nothing about its quality unless it is known what are output figures for that product.

AZBlue wrote:

Wow, take a chill pill buddy. The advice came from folks on DPR who have experience and would know. I've watched plenty of YouTube videos regarding the poor build quality of the AD600 and lots of online reviews about returns due to premature failure of the various units. New Godox products are especially prone to being problematic.

Isn't living in a free country great, where everyone has the ability and right to express an opinion? You don't have to agree with me, obviously you are somewhat biased. I've done my research and I'm comfortable.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D850 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
NikonD800Es Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

You have very firm negative opinion about a certain brand but have no 1st hand experience with it? Cool! And you tell me I am biased? Good one!

And that chill pill save to your buddy, I am certainly not your buddy, sorry.  But I am glad that you are comfortable, let's hope it will stay that way.

AZBlue wrote:

Wow, take a chill pill buddy. The advice came from folks on DPR who have experience and would know. I've watched plenty of YouTube videos regarding the poor build quality of the AD600 and lots of online reviews about returns due to premature failure of the various units. New Godox products are especially prone to being problematic.

Isn't living in a free country great, where everyone has the ability and right to express an opinion? You don't have to agree with me, obviously you are somewhat biased. I've done my research and I'm comfortable.

AZBlue

NikonD800Es wrote:

You have very firm negative opinion about a certain brand but have no 1st hand experience with it? Cool! And you tell me I am biased? Good one!

And that chill pill save to your buddy, I am certainly not your buddy, sorry. But I am glad that you are comfortable, let's hope it will stay that way.

AZBlue wrote:

I hold no negative opinions about Godox. I'm simply conveying what I've read. I don't need you to agree, this is a free country.

-- hide signature --

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,801

Godox_Studio wrote:

Bought an AD200 along with a couple of AD600... it is still very new less than a month. I used it for a test session took about 30 pictures all was working fine. I shut it off, left it mounted in the softbox and today went to take some more pictures and it won't fire.

The flash turns on and operates and the other head unit fires but the bare bulb does not... have there been issues with bare bulbs burning out if left sitting? Should I have removed the battery while not in use? Seems like I can see the bulb trying to spark or light but nothing.

Unit has not been dropped or hit, no one has been near it since it was last used and worked perfectly.

Most likely it is defective. I hope you can return it to your dealer.

My take, based on what I see online, is if a person wants to go with Godox they should buy from an established dealer with a solid return and warranty policy. In the US Adorama seems to be the preferred choice now that Cheetahstand has dropped the brand.

Good luck.

Gato

Torsten Hoff Veteran Member • Posts: 3,787

If this is urgent, you could buy another head and bulb while you work on getting the warranty claim addressed:

H200J Bare Bulb Head

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341899-REG

200W Flash Tube

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342705-REG

Re: Could it be ...

Yes it was fully charged.. it has been returned.

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,698
Re: Could it be ...

Godox_Studio wrote:

Yes it was fully charged.. it has been returned.

Hope you get one in working order. Good luck.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +15 more
Alvaro17 New Member • Posts: 11

Hi,

I also had the same problem .Received my AD200 about a week and half ago. Used it first time and seemed to work fine. Then I tried it at home like a day or two later and bulb would not fire. The other flash head worked okay. Removed the bulb and reseated. Turned everything off and back on . Tried different modes and the bulb would just make a clicking sound. Like you, I haven't dropped the unit. Had a shoot scheduled for this morning so I sent that unit back and ordered a new one which arrived yesterday. Used it at the shoot and it worked most of the time but several times it did not fire. Same thing, just made a clicking sound .Then it came back on. I'll test the next few days but if it happens again I might have to send this one back too and switch to the AD600. Cant be going through this at a paid job. Stressful...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads