Upgrade from D600

Started 8 months ago | Questions
ManuelGuerra New Member • Posts: 1
Upgrade from D600

Hi everyone!

I have been using a D600 for three years and I love this camera price/quality ration, probably the best ratio in all (I mean ALL) Nikon cameras.

Now the question is : I though about getting rid of my second camera (D7000) and give the place to the D600 so I can get a better one as my main camera.

The bigger issue I am trying to address with this "upgrade" would be ISO related. I want a bit better performance and less noise at 3200/4000/5000 ISO.

Apart from that, I really love the D600 and I think I will never give up on it.

Wanting a better camera without breaking my bank account, I am going with the pre conceived idea that I had and go for a D800, or maybe a Df. But the more I investigate and scrutinise all these models, the more I realise the D600, considering its price, is the better answer and the best Nikon model (excluding the Ds).

Am I right? Should I just get another D600, or can I get better ISO performances with the D800 or Df?

Thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
JJoyce4699
JJoyce4699 Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Re: Upgrade from D600

ManuelGuerra wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have been using a D600 for three years and I love this camera price/quality ration, probably the best ratio in all (I mean ALL) Nikon cameras.

Now the question is : I though about getting rid of my second camera (D7000) and give the place to the D600 so I can get a better one as my main camera.

The bigger issue I am trying to address with this "upgrade" would be ISO related. I want a bit better performance and less noise at 3200/4000/5000 ISO.

Apart from that, I really love the D600 and I think I will never give up on it.

Wanting a better camera without breaking my bank account, I am going with the pre conceived idea that I had and go for a D800, or maybe a Df. But the more I investigate and scrutinise all these models, the more I realise the D600, considering its price, is the better answer and the best Nikon model (excluding the Ds).

Am I right? Should I just get another D600, or can I get better ISO performances with the D800 or Df?

Thanks in advance!

As far as better high ISO there is not really a better Nikon camera except the D4/5. The Df may be a bit better, but those are still expensive. You can get a used D600 on Fleabay for around $650. Matched camera is always a plus.

Bill's site is a good one to see DR vs ISO.  D600/D750/D800/Df are all about the same...

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

I just moved D600->D750 in Nov. The focus system is so much better, especially in mixed lights.

JJoyce4699's gear list:JJoyce4699's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
dzimm1435 New Member • Posts: 8

If you're happy with the D600 why not invest in new glass then? unless you already have everything you need! just my opinion. also unless you want to drop some cash on the D4/5.

Cheers!

dzimm1435's gear list:dzimm1435's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Senior Member • Posts: 2,913

What do you shoot?

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Bob from Plymouth
Bob from Plymouth Contributing Member • Posts: 649

Manuel, I've had my D600 from new. It's never had any oil spots and meets all my needs.

I "upgraded" to the D600 from a D700 and often wish I hadn't. Although the D600 can take stunning photographs. I would probably be having the same thoughts if I traded the D600. It would have to be something with a far superior specification and I would also have to justify needing this extra performance before spending the money.

You didn't mention which lenses you have or which type of photography you do, would buying superior glass, mentioned above, be the way to go?

Bob from Plymouth's gear list:Bob from Plymouth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Dodi73
Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 1,830

Manuel

I had the D600 for 5 yrs before buying a D500 first and now a D4s, so I can speak rightfully. I took it to Bosnia, Africa, Central Asia, Germany and in a lot of other closest places in that period.

I know what you mean and listen to what I did and why I did it.

D600 is indeed a very capable camera, however its main weakness is AF module.

IF high ISO AND AF are the ONLY things that might interest you, I'd suggest you giving the D750 a try, also because it shares the same D600 command layout and you'd pass from one to the other in a very smooth way. I tried briefly the D750 back in time and its AF is much more sensitive in dim light than D600's. Not a speed daemon maybe but remarkably better. This would be the SIMPLEST and CHEAPEST solution, in terms of an UPGRADE while remaining in the FF format.

Going to D500 you'd get both of them (unless you do a lot of pixel peeping D500 noise is definitely low) and a rugged pro body that can go anywhere. BUT (there's a but) you'd lose FF. This is probably the only thing that you should address first. I had a lot of FF lenses that on such DX cameras started becoming weird in the way I was shooting so after one year and half I realized I had to get back to FF - this is why I looked for a D850 first and then, realizing I didn't know neither all those MP nor all the hassle of fine tuning every lens and slow down tremendously my way of shooting, I found a used D4s and I'm very happy with that (for what I do).

Of course, IF you simply need another (capable) camera for everything AND you don't want to spend a fortune on lenses, I can ensure you the D500 + 16-80 is probably the best combo I've ever tried for general shooting. The 16-80 was definitely the best kit zoom I ever had (or probably my copy was very good) since I started shooting. The D500 is a very fast and responsive camera (completely another league compared to both D600 and D750) and its superior body and AF give a completely different sense of reliability to the user. Actually I think it's the best GP Nikon camera out there, bar none (again: if you don't need FF) because it's rugged, it's fast, it's really well done and doesn't cost a fortune. Having the AF points all spead on the whole viewfinder is something amazing.

16 to 24 (30?) MP is the sweet spot for cameras for being used without too much bother on some aspects that are more compelling on higher MP bodies. A Df might be interesting if you have already familiarity with the old FM bodies, however if on one hand you get the superb D4 sensor, on the other one you come back to D600 AF module and that's not much fun. Honestly a D750 might be more suitable to you now, or a D760 whenever it comes out ( I'd say 2H 2018 ) probably it will have all the bells and whistles you really need.

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Zeiss Milvus 35mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads