The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

Started Feb 10, 2018 | Discussions
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed
10

I got my hands on the brand spanking new Pixpro AZ901 and having lots of fun with this beast. It's lens is pretty impressive with it's 1980mm reach and pretty darn sharp images too. The improved the EVF quality and now has a proper diopter to fine tune to your eye. Has a 20MP sensor, and in addition to PASM, there are lots of scene settings. Burst is great..5fps. The IS is very good and if you brace, handheld full tele length good images are possible. As usual, the WB and "Kodak colors" are there. I'm going to try some RAW shooting this weekend to see what happens. Such a fun camera! Seems Kodak Pixpro is on a roll. These are shot in vivid, some 15mp, other 20mp, all handheld. I shot video (1080P) at full length and the focus and quality is great. I'm impressed. They also released a 65X optical version too named the AZ652 of which my gf is very interested in.

wtang Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

Were any of these taken at full tele?  It seems the longest focal length in this set of photos is 351mm?

Regards,
Warren
http://www.pbase.com/wtang

 wtang's gear list:wtang's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 Nikon D300 +12 more
OP Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed
2

wtang wrote:

Were any of these taken at full tele? It seems the longest focal length in this set of photos is 351mm?

Regards,
Warren
http://www.pbase.com/wtang

Hi Warren, the 351mm is full length. It's based on 35mm equivalent and there is a formula used of which I'm not sure of the conversion. Someone will come along and explain it better than I can. I remember reading that the Canon SX50HS with it's 50X optical zoom has a 35mm equivalent of 24-1200mm. This Pixpro starts at 22mm and goes to 1980mm or 90X optical. Looking through the EVF shows the length in optical zoom lenght..x33, x42, etc. all the way to x90 with the lens barrel showing the focal length in mm. So at the very far end, the barrel reads 1980mm.

jacketpotato Senior Member • Posts: 2,244
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed
1

Jim impressed with what you say of Az901 along with Kodak colours.

1. How small is smallest focus box : is it adjustable?

One thing i find exceptionally useful is small focus box for photographing small Birdies behind branches  (my panny tz20 has approx 2mm*2mm smallest focus box, my fz200 approx 4mm*4mm smallest focus box).

2. Is it still F4.2 at 600mm?

I was impressed Az521 photos you took at 600mm was F4.2 : this intrigued me as my panny fz200 defaults to F4 as sharpest, so the Az521 gives me same sharpest  F stop as fz200 at 600mm, yet then with double reach.

Hike Pics
Hike Pics Senior Member • Posts: 2,387
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

Super fantastic shots, Jim. It seems the model is a true "Kodak :THE Next Generation" camera! Lots of great features while still holding on to the Kodak look. Yes...impressive!

-- hide signature --
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,230
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

Excellent images with Kodak color, also sharp, nice job! Good to see Kodak coming back and keeping the color.

-- hide signature --

KJ

 KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Blackbear
Blackbear Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

Impressive series, Jim. Well done! This Pixpro proves to be a real Kodak!

-- hide signature --

Mart
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, does not go away.
Kodak DX7590, CX7525, Z980, P880, C875, P850, M583, P712, V570, DC3400, DC290, DC4800, Z990 MAX, EasyShare One (4mp), V610. Sony SLT a77II
( Lumix TZ40 my wife)

 Blackbear's gear list:Blackbear's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P712 Kodak EasyShare P850 Kodak DX7590 Kodak DC4800 Kodak DC3400 +20 more
OP Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics
3

Thanks for viewing and commenting. I took it to our N. Coast this past weekend and despite the strong winds (50mph), I managed to get a few keepers. I'm waiting to get some decent weather (as in no wind) to see what RAW files (with/without tripod) look like. Not certain what to software process with and if anyone has suggestions, please post it. All told, it's going to be a very good travel, family, birding camera since it's still smaller/lighter than a dslr body/zoom lens with a whole lot more reach.

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,230
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

The colors look great, is the lens as sharp as your other big zoom?

-- hide signature --

KJ

 KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
OP Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

KJaay wrote:

The colors look great, is the lens as sharp as your other big zoom?

Hi KJ, yes the lens is pretty sharp, but I do see a bit of noise. I'm still playing with it to see if I can get the most out of it. I need to also try RAW.

OP Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

jacketpotato wrote:

Jim impressed with what you say of Az901 along with Kodak colours.

1. How small is smallest focus box : is it adjustable?

One thing i find exceptionally useful is small focus box for photographing small Birdies behind branches (my panny tz20 has approx 2mm*2mm smallest focus box, my fz200 approx 4mm*4mm smallest focus box).

2. Is it still F4.2 at 600mm?

I was impressed Az521 photos you took at 600mm was F4.2 : this intrigued me as my panny fz200 defaults to F4 as sharpest, so the Az521 gives me same sharpest F stop as fz200 at 600mm, yet then with double reach.

Hi Jacketpotato,

Regarding the focus box, it's not adjustable, but small when in PASM and Spot focus. I'll check to see if it chooses F4.2 at 600mm. THe AZ521 is what I call a sleeper camera since the Kodak Pixpro's do not get the press that the big name cameras get, but they really do have excellent lenses.

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,230
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

Sactojim wrote:

KJaay wrote:

The colors look great, is the lens as sharp as your other big zoom?

Hi KJ, yes the lens is pretty sharp, but I do see a bit of noise. I'm still playing with it to see if I can get the most out of it. I need to also try RAW.

I will be looking for your assessment, I like that it has raw and starts at 22.

-- hide signature --

KJ

 KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
chiue
chiue Veteran Member • Posts: 9,796
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

Sactojim wrote:

Thanks for viewing and commenting. I took it to our N. Coast this past weekend and despite the strong winds (50mph), I managed to get a few keepers. I'm waiting to get some decent weather (as in no wind) to see what RAW files (with/without tripod) look like. Not certain what to software process with and if anyone has suggestions, please post it. All told, it's going to be a very good travel, family, birding camera since it's still smaller/lighter than a dslr body/zoom lens with a whole lot more reach.

Very impressive super zoom camera. The distortion on this wide angle shot was well controlled.

Well, a bit of noise with the long zoom and small sensor is a given, not much can do about it. But in general, this is one mighty Kodak. Your test shots have proven it. Well done my friend.

-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Sony A6000
Kodak Z990 P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 ZX3

 chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak DX6440 Kodak EasyShare V803 Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak DX7590 +6 more
OP Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

chiue wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

Thanks for viewing and commenting. I took it to our N. Coast this past weekend and despite the strong winds (50mph), I managed to get a few keepers. I'm waiting to get some decent weather (as in no wind) to see what RAW files (with/without tripod) look like. Not certain what to software process with and if anyone has suggestions, please post it. All told, it's going to be a very good travel, family, birding camera since it's still smaller/lighter than a dslr body/zoom lens with a whole lot more reach.

Very impressive super zoom camera. The distortion on this wide angle shot was well controlled.

Well, a bit of noise with the long zoom and small sensor is a given, not much can do about it. But in general, this is one mighty Kodak. Your test shots have proven it. Well done my friend.

Thanks Chiue. These Kodak Pixpro cams are real contenders, especially nice is the rich colors, accurate white balance, very good focus and stabilization, and outstanding value.

n3eg
n3eg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,273
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

How did you find the AZ901? Beta tester, or super-secret source? Kodak, Amazon, and Ebay have nothing listed.

Never mind, I found it on B&H.  Just put it in the cart for ordering at sundown tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

 n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak DCS Pro 14n Olympus E-M5 III +70 more
jacketpotato Senior Member • Posts: 2,244
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed
1

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60790000

Sactojim wrote:

Only had it a week and pretty impressed with it. It's IS is excellent and hand held at full reach is possible with good bracing technique.

jacketpotato wrote:

Clarity sharpness impressive Jim. Teal body detail stellar.

Jim were these from RAW.

Would you say Az901 is as sharp, clear as your Az521 or clearer sharper than Az521.

Is the IS on Az901 same, better than your Az521.

You mentioned on another post Az901 has a bit of noise : is it slightly noisier than Az521 : is it because Az901 has more pixels.

OP Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

jacketpotato wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60790000

Sactojim wrote:

Only had it a week and pretty impressed with it. It's IS is excellent and hand held at full reach is possible with good bracing technique.

jacketpotato wrote:

Clarity sharpness impressive Jim. Teal body detail stellar.

Jim were these from RAW.

Would you say Az901 is as sharp, clear as your Az521 or clearer sharper than Az521.

Is the IS on Az901 same, better than your Az521.

You mentioned on another post Az901 has a bit of noise : is it slightly noisier than Az521 : is it because Az901 has more pixels.

Hello,

These are jpeg's, vivid, photo quality set to Best. I would say the IQ is the same as the AZ521 (both excellent), but since I don't have that camera any longer, I can't do a side by side comparison. IS on the AZ901 is the same as the others in my opinion..outstanding. Regarding noise, I do see a bit of noise with the AZ901 when shot above 1500mm, but it's minor and betting some post processing would clean it.

OP Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

n3eg wrote:

How did you find the AZ901? Beta tester, or super-secret source? Kodak, Amazon, and Ebay have nothing listed.

Never mind, I found it on B&H. Just put it in the cart for ordering at sundown tomorrow.

Here you go: https://store.mypixpro.com/astro-zoom/az901

chiue
chiue Veteran Member • Posts: 9,796
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901 with 90X Optical Zoom Has Landed

Sactojim wrote:

Hello,

These are jpeg's, vivid, photo quality set to Best. I would say the IQ is the same as the AZ521 (both excellent), but since I don't have that camera any longer, I can't do a side by side comparison. IS on the AZ901 is the same as the others in my opinion..outstanding. Regarding noise, I do see a bit of noise with the AZ901 when shot above 1500mm, but it's minor and betting some post processing would clean it.

Based on my memory (which is not very good), I think the AZ521 has an edge with sharpness. The 901 is a tab soft compare to 521. It is not that the 901 is not sharp, just that the 521 is extraordinary.

-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Sony A6000
Kodak Z990 P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 ZX3

 chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak DX6440 Kodak EasyShare V803 Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak DX7590 +6 more
n3eg
n3eg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,273
Re: The Kodak Pixpro AZ901..a few added pics

Sactojim wrote:

n3eg wrote:

How did you find the AZ901? Beta tester, or super-secret source? Kodak, Amazon, and Ebay have nothing listed.

Never mind, I found it on B&H. Just put it in the cart for ordering at sundown tomorrow.

Here you go: https://store.mypixpro.com/astro-zoom/az901

B&H has it for $449.  Currently out of stock though.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

 n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak DCS Pro 14n Olympus E-M5 III +70 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads