Started Feb 2, 2018 | Discussions
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 15,892
Quattro & Merrill Moon Shot
 rick decker's gear list:rick decker's gear list
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,120
Re: Quattro & Merrill Moon Shot

No surprises there.

The Quattro look soft and the Merrill harsh.

I like the Quattro better. You can enhance local contrast if you want to.

EDIT:

Looking again I see that the Quattro is a bit too soft. Is it really sharp?

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 14,669

rick decker wrote:

Tonight:

Quattro Moon

Merrill Moon

Thanks for posting, Rick.

BTW, no contest,

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +15 more
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

xpatUSA wrote:

rick decker wrote:

Tonight:

Quattro Moon

Merrill Moon

BTW, no contest,

I always thought that the Quattro has some drawbacks compared to the sensor in the Merrill models. Assuming that everything was set up in the same way, this comparison clearly shows that the Quattro has a disadvantage in S/N and acutance.

I own both models (SD1 and sdQH) and would really love to see a clear advantage for the Quattro. Sigh....

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 12,344

Very interesting Rick. Thank you for posting these. Now it might be not just clouds anymore that the Merrills excel at, huh?

BTW, how many shots did you try before you got those two? . . . and can we play with the raw files?

I'm actually surprised what a difference there seems to be. I see that the Merrill shot was made at f5.6 and the Quattro shot was made at f8. Could that be the cause of the softness? Are these OOC jpegs or what?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +21 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 12,344

FDecker wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

rick decker wrote:

Tonight:

Quattro Moon

Merrill Moon

BTW, no contest,

I always thought that the Quattro has some drawbacks compared to the sensor in the Merrill models. Assuming that everything was set up in the same way, this comparison clearly shows that the Quattro has a disadvantage in S/N and acutance.

I own both models (SD1 and sdQH) and would really love to see a clear advantage for the Quattro. Sigh....

Feel like shooting some photos of the moon with each of your two cameras, using your longest high-quality lens and posting your results here?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +21 more
dellaaa
dellaaa Contributing Member • Posts: 950

Interesting.  I have not seen this big a disparity between the two, as a matter of fact I have seen better results from the Q detail wise.

Somehow the Q image isn't all it could be i think.  It looks like it was either movement or out of focus in the enlargement.

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sigma SD1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +6 more
DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
Your Merrill image is better than mine

Good comparison, Rick. All the Quattro moon images I've seen are inferior to the best Merrill ones.

And concerning my effort here - there were some high clouds, and the Moon was only about 30 degrees above the horizon when I shot this.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
jande9
jande9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,335

dellaaa wrote:  ".... out of focus in the enlargement."

Whoa.  That takes me back!  Squinting through my Patterson focusing aid while reaching back over my head for the knob, getting that Tri-X grain nice and sharp.  Nice memories.

Jan

jande9's gear list:jande9's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
OP MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 15,892

I picked the best of the group and set sharpening to   -1.0.  It was difficult to decide about how much contrast to add.  Probably especially subjective in this type of shot.

For Scott and Ted and All

I picked the best of several shots for each.  I had more issues with noise on the Q than the M.  The had NR off and Detail 0 (left).  Some contrast work.  I can make RAW available

http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.silveroaksranch.com
http://www.pbase.com/rickdecker

Old Merrill 750mm shot

I used the older 500 f4.5....Here is an old Merrill from years ago:

Sharpened and upsized quite a bit and 1.4 tc:

500 4.5 + 1.4  tc

DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
My result at roughly the same phase angle

rick decker wrote:

I used the older 500 f4.5....Here is an old Merrill from years ago:

Sharpened and upsized quite a bit and 1.4 tc:

500 4.5 + 1.4 tc

Heavily processed (600 mm):

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 7,980
Re: For Scott and Ted and All

rick decker wrote:

I can make RAW available

Yes please.

Note that robbing the Quattro of a stop of light is always going to be unfair. Where have I seen thatdone before?

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Re: My result at roughly the same phase angle

1st one is noticeably (and excellent) sharper than 2nd.  I find a lot of contrast work necessary where I am.  Probably true for you also?

xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 14,669

TN Args wrote:

rick decker wrote:

I can make RAW available

Yes please.

Note that robbing the Quattro of a stop of light is always going to be unfair. Where have I seen thatdone before?

LOL.

As I recall in those halcyon early Quattro days, wasn't Sigma talking about an extra stop of light compared with Merrill?

So maybe Rick was trying for "equivalent" shots? 

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +15 more

Args:  Please ask Quattro to forgive me.  However, unless I am mistaken which is possible, the Quattro showed and needed a half to a stop less light.  However in  the interests of "truth, justice and the American way", I will make the RAW files available.

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,120

xpatUSA wrote:

TN Args wrote:

rick decker wrote:

I can make RAW available

Yes please.

Note that robbing the Quattro of a stop of light is always going to be unfair. Where have I seen thatdone before?

LOL.

As I recall in those halcyon early Quattro days, wasn't Sigma talking about an extra stop of light compared with Merrill?

So maybe Rick was trying for "equivalent" shots?

Yes - I saw that also. But .... I never bothered to comment.

My take:

Both images have low resolution. Much lower than any of the sensors can deliver. This hints att it being bad seeing or the lens is not 100% sharp or maybe not focused. I did look at a higher resolution photo on the web. There are lots of detail missing in both pictures. Details that should have been there.

The exposure of the moon is too low. If you use the sunny F11 rule for the moon it will be medium gray. This is two stop less exposed. And, as the moon is quite low contrast, you can easily over expose two stops. So ... I would say exposing three or four more stops would be good. For might clip.

Looking around, you see the same amount of detail nearly everywhere, but the Quattro has lower acutance. In some places, the Quattro lacks detail. I think you can get the Quattro to look kind of like the Merrill with some sharpening. Except in the places lacking info.

One thought is that the moon is almost monochromatic. It is a well known trick to use the top layer for such images for Merrill. The Merrill top layer is VERY good. For some reason, it does not work as well for Quattro. The Quattro top layer is noisier.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 7,980

rick decker wrote:

...."truth, justice and the American way"

since Trump, have those become 3 opposing things?

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
richard stone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,031

rick decker wrote:

Tonight:

Quattro Moon

Merrill Moon

I have read most of the posts in this thread and it seems to me the Q image needs some sharpening and more NR and higher contrast. But that might not fix what looks like some other problem with blurring and noise.

I do not think SPP NR is as good as it needs to be to deal with the sdQ in some situations. I am puzzled by this, because the dpQ0 doesn't seem to suffer from noise that same way. Just thinking about the sdQ and its sensor, in terms of concept, it ought to do better, and some part of SPP might be the problem. The Q sensor at High Resolution is really not very much like the full-on, three colors at each pixel concept of all the earlier sensors.

From my use of the sdQ my feeling is that the maximum smooth setting of SPP seems to eliminate the detail from the top layer. Without that detail there is not much to recommend High Resolution for any use. Better, I think, if we are going to stay with SPP, more in the middle with the smooth-crunchy settings, and the same goes for NR and slightly increased contrast. And some sharpening is necessary: I think -1.0 sharpening might be good if further work is going to be done in another program. But if we propose, as some argue, that the Q looks/works more like a Bayer sensor, then sharpening is not optional, it is required, and +.5 sharpening in SPP is not extreme.

Finally, there appears to be some interaction between these various settings in SPP, and changing one seems to have some influence on the others. SPP as a "post" processing program seems to be adequate for fast work, in simple cases, and the results can be good, but the best results require minimal work in SPP to convert to a .tif file, and then some work in RT or another similar program.

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma SD10 Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads