Leica Q update firmware

Started Jan 30, 2018 | Discussions
Paul_B Midlands UK
Paul_B Midlands UK Contributing Member • Posts: 653
Leica Q update firmware

Seems to be on the cards, when and what exactly I have no idea but this email and reply is today's date. So it seems Q is not being left as is, there is one more update to come for its product life-cycle. I think it could be great news, this camera is already superb, so it just will be a bit more polished and I with some of those small fixes we users would like, so we wait and see. Pity it won't fix the lens cap that falls off, the power on switch that all too easy goes to 'C' not 'S' mode, but I can live with those quirks. I blanked out the contact name as I don't think it fair to release that. ANYWAY its legit info'.

-- hide signature --

Mr B

Paul_B Midlands UK's gear list:Paul_B Midlands UK's gear list
Leica Q
solamnus
solamnus Senior Member • Posts: 1,858
Re: Leica Q update firmware

Paul_B Midlands UK wrote:

Seems to be on the cards, when and what exactly I have no idea but this email and reply is today's date. So it seems Q is not being left as is, there is one more update to come for its product life-cycle. I think it could be great news, this camera is already superb, so it just will be a bit more polished and I with some of those small fixes we users would like, so we wait and see. Pity it won't fix the lens cap that falls off, the power on switch that all too easy goes to 'C' not 'S' mode, but I can live with those quirks. I blanked out the contact name as I don't think it fair to release that. ANYWAY its legit info'.

Wo that is awesome news then, cannot wait

solamnus's gear list:solamnus's gear list
Leica Q Nikon Df Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +5 more
LeicaRumors
LeicaRumors Forum Member • Posts: 71

I thought I am the only one that cannot properly switch to S or C... good to know about the upcoming firmware.

LeicaRumors's gear list:LeicaRumors's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica M-E Typ 220 Leica M10 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
Paul_B Midlands UK
OP Paul_B Midlands UK Contributing Member • Posts: 653

IF the switch was 'C' first then 'S', NO problem! But it isn't!!

-- hide signature --

Mr B

Leica Q
zstekar Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: Weird but...

On my friend's black Q, the switch does indeed fo to 'C' too soon/fast, whereas on my silver Q i have yet to experience such annoyance. Maybe it needs more on/off operations, dunno...

zstekar's gear list:zstekar's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Paul_B Midlands UK
Re: Weird but...

I know there is no fix unless magically they swap it in firmware !
Mr B

Leica Q
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

That memo could equally refer to firmware for a new Q, since the firmware developed to date will not be dispensed with but rather "updated" to go into a Q2.

Rates of development and improvement are so swift in the camera industry that manufacturers hold everything close to the vest so as not to kill sales of already existing products when people stop shopping in anticipation of "newer & better."   And they seem to control "leaks" better than the U.S. White House.

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-30 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 +1 more
Paul_B Midlands UK

I read it again Im sure he means the existing Q because the question to him was about Q.

-- hide signature --

Mr B

Leica Q

I read it again Im sure he means the existing Q because the question to him was about Q.

I hope so very much, because I have a silver Q reserved for me, to be picked up tomorrow at the store.

Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,205

Very interesting, though I cannot think of very many features that need improving. The most important, I think, would be reducing the shadow banding at high ISOs. They have already done it once with firmware, so maybe there is room for further improvement.

The skeptic in me says not to believe it until I see it, as manufacturers rarely update firmware so long after a camera's release. By doing so, Leica would demonstrate their long-term commitment to their cameras and their customers.

Rob

Paul_B Midlands UK

Don't worry about it too much. Your camera will (or should) be on VERSION 2 software, which is really really good! But there are improvements, niceties of course we would like and you will discover what they might be. BUT as it is, this camera is fantastic right now as is. So I talking 95% excellent camera firmware, just a few percent to make it perfect!  I rapidly bought the hand grip for the body, as I had the feeling I might drop Q in its standard form ('bar of soap factor'). With the 'L' grip / battery door locker - much more assured handling.  You will see if you need that. This camera is such a joy to use.

-- hide signature --

Mr B

Leica Q
BBard
BBard New Member • Posts: 7

I’d be thrilled if they included a way to disable eyepiece turning off rear screen. I can’t tell you how many time I’ll hold the camera low using rear screen to focus on my subject and accidentally turn off the rear screen because a finger or strap passed the viewfinder. #frustrating

I’d also be thrilled if we could make the focus point even smaller.

And speaking of focus points I would love it if there were color option while using the rear screen. It’s often hard to see the white focus point during the day.

Lastly, it would be magical if there was a way to fire the SF 40 (or another flash) off camera with TTL.

progo Regular Member • Posts: 215

Robgo2 wrote:

Very interesting, though I cannot think of very many features that need improving.

That's what I am thinking. Not much to perfect on this camera, based on 10 months of dedicated ownership.

The only thing that could be done is slight improvements on autofocus accuracy. I've had 1-2 "clear cases" where the camera should have AF'd on an instant but failed to lock. And 1-2 cases where it focused on the background instead of foreground.

Does anyone use the face detection? It's sure one area that faces constant development. Although it'd be highly unusual to publish a big FW update just to make sure FD stays current. Same goes for all the scene modes that I didn't even know they exist until last month or so when it came up in discussion.

progo's gear list:progo's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Leica Q Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
zstekar Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: My two asks...

Ability to remap the ISO button because auto ISO is fantastic. Even better, make it like the Fn button.

For those of us who mapped the top button to exposure lock, would be useful to provide the option to toggle or hold. I prefer the former, easier to carry out Operations this way.

zstekar's gear list:zstekar's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
David H Dennis Regular Member • Posts: 295

BBard wrote:

And speaking of focus points I would love it if there were color option while using the rear screen. It’s often hard to see the white focus point during the day.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but if you go to the focus menu and change the focus color it works just fine on the rear screen.  I find myself doing that frequently due to different dominant colors in my subjects.

David H Dennis's gear list:David H Dennis's gear list
Leica X-U (Typ 113) Leica Q Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D5 +5 more
Paul_B Midlands UK

He doesnt focus peaking but the colour of the focusing confirmation rectangle...  I think

-- hide signature --

Mr B

Leica Q

Thanks. I understand. My belief remains, though, that Leica might tease an firmware update for Q to keep selling out stocks of it before a Q2.

It's entirely possible that 300 existing silver Q's -- not moving on new orders -- were stripped of the black wrap and given the new white "snow" leather just to get them out the door. A v3.0 firmware update would still be a fair statement -- it's just a version that will be native to Q2.

Please pardon me for being a cynic.:-)

robertdc Forum Member • Posts: 63

I’d be happy to see a fully selectable electronic shutter that can be utilised with shutter speeds below 1/2500. I believe the Leica SL has that capability as do my Sony and Fuji cameras. Apart from that, I can’t think of much else to improve. Would like to see some weather sealing in any new version though.

-- hide signature --

Robert de Castro

robertdc's gear list:robertdc's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 +1 more
Paul_B Midlands UK

Id like a faster way to get to Focus Mode. Time is passing come on Leica give the Q a shot in the arm make it truely perfect thats all it needs then its current again. Come on. Do it.

-- hide signature --

Mr B

Leica Q

Id like a faster way to get to Focus Mode. Time is passing come on Leica give the Q a shot in the arm make it truely perfect thats all it needs then its current again. Come on. Do it.

It's highly customer-unfriendly to not have a new Q firmware update by now.  Very disappointing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads