software to find all images on computer by exif data

Started Jan 29, 2018 | Discussions
mikedodd44 Junior Member • Posts: 27
software to find all images on computer by exif data

Is there any software that will find e.g. all photos on computer taken at 2sec or longer shutterspeed or any other exif data.  I seem to recall there was some (Dutch?) software that classified all images by exif but I want to see e.g. all my photos taken with long shutterspeed or with flash or at f2.8 or any other combination of exif.  I can search directory by directory using e.g. breezebrowser which can sort by any bit of exif or iptc but when there are half a million photos over numerous disks and directories then this is rather time consuming. Can the windows10 search or some extended version of it do this kind of searching?

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,329
Re: software to find all images on computer by exif data

Zoner Photo Studio can do pretty much that from within the program, I think.

Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 12,432

mikedodd44 wrote:

Is there any software that will find e.g. all photos on computer taken at 2sec or longer shutterspeed or any other exif data. I seem to recall there was some (Dutch?) software that classified all images by exif but I want to see e.g. all my photos taken with long shutterspeed or with flash or at f2.8 or any other combination of exif. I can search directory by directory using e.g. breezebrowser which can sort by any bit of exif or iptc but when there are half a million photos over numerous disks and directories then this is rather time consuming. Can the windows10 search or some extended version of it do this kind of searching?

If you're on a Mac, that functionality is built in.

When searching in the finder, hit the "+" below the search field.  In the pop-up select "other".  You'll get a list of all the things you can search by.  Shutter speed, ISO, etc. are included.

I'm not a windows guy, but I assume the built-in Windows search should have similar functionality.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
foot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,993

Michael Fryd wrote:

mikedodd44 wrote:

Is there any software that will find e.g. all photos on computer taken at 2sec or longer shutterspeed or any other exif data. I seem to recall there was some (Dutch?) software that classified all images by exif but I want to see e.g. all my photos taken with long shutterspeed or with flash or at f2.8 or any other combination of exif. I can search directory by directory using e.g. breezebrowser which can sort by any bit of exif or iptc but when there are half a million photos over numerous disks and directories then this is rather time consuming. Can the windows10 search or some extended version of it do this kind of searching?

When searching in the finder, hit the "+" below the search field. In the pop-up select "other". You'll get a list of all the things you can search by. Shutter speed, ISO, etc. are included.

I'm not a windows guy, but I assume the built-in Windows search should have similar functionality.

There is a stand-alone program called "ExifTool".  At times its been pretty popular tool.

Some considerations:

1) It's basically a command-line tool (unless there's been an update...)

2) It will scan thru all the folders and generate a big text file with all the data, so the first time you use it will take awhile. Then you load the text file and search for whatever you want

I'd suggest looking for a database-driven tool, which would scan all the files

once, then all searches are thru the database which is relatively quick

You can try Adobe Bridge, a modest but free DAM tool. I've never used it but was always curious about how it would work.  One issue I've found with the Adobe lightroom is that it doesn't work with unknown/unsupported RAW files, also then ignoring the associated jpg file.  Maybe this is configurable thru preferences, or the newer versions work better, I don't know I gave up on it

https://www.provideocoalition.com/adobe-bridge-cc-free-dam/

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
Brisn5757 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,242

mikedodd44 wrote:

Use Adobe Lightroom.

Brian

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more
ajscullard Contributing Member • Posts: 943

There is a stand-alone program called "ExifTool". At times its been pretty popular tool.

Some considerations:

1) It's basically a command-line tool (unless there's been an update...)

Just for info:

Look up ExiftoolGUI.exe. It's been around for years and easy to install and use.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,657

LighRoom is the your friend

mikedodd44 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Save money on expensive telephoto lenses. Stand closer to the subject.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,385
ACDSee . . .

ACDSee Standard, Pro, or Ultimate can all search on any Exif, IPTC, or ACDSee unique metadata.

The newly rewritten ACDSee Pro For Mac 2018 might have it, but I'm a PC guy and can't say for sure.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Re: ACDSee . . .

Glen Barrington wrote:

ACDSee Standard, Pro, or Ultimate can all search on any Exif, IPTC, or ACDSee unique metadata.

The newly rewritten ACDSee Pro For Mac 2018 might have it, but I'm a PC guy and can't say for sure.

ACDSee has been around for a long time, good to see they are still developing this program.

Brian

Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 2,125
I'm lost!

Michael Fryd wrote:

mikedodd44 wrote:

When searching in the finder, hit the "+" below the search field. In the pop-up select "other". You'll get a list of all the things you can search by. Shutter speed, ISO, etc. are included.

There is no + sign under my search field on my MacBookPro Finder.
What shall I enter to search for?
Not trying to be a wise ass troll,  will be describing my recollection of what I used to do.
I used to create program for mainframe and mini Databases apps such as SAS.  I also wrote several dBase II, III, IV, Power Base,  Paradox, Pbase, Access and many others I cannot recall.  There are "wildcard" to start a search.  for example, If I want to search for any Jpeg picture file,  my entry would be *.jpg  or *.jpeg.
The last database program I wrote was in 1996,  hence, not sure anymore.
I am just curious.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 15,144

mikedodd44 wrote:

Win7 Windows Explorer can; but it can't do it any faster than BreezeBrowser. It takes a lot of processing power to examine the metadata of 'half a million' files.

If you're actually serious about this, you'll want a tool that creates and stores its own index of metadata rather than searching through every file every time you ask for something.

OP mikedodd44 Junior Member • Posts: 27

sybersitizen wrote:

mikedodd44 wrote:

Win7 Windows Explorer can; but it can't do it any faster than BreezeBrowser. It takes a lot of processing power to examine the metadata of 'half a million' files.

If you're actually serious about this, you'll want a tool that creates and stores its own index of metadata rather than searching through every file every time you ask for something.

I only occasionally want to do this selection by exif across all disks. Much more frequently I update the locations of files across directories and disks e.g. having files by month to start off with during the labelling and culling stage then later dividing up into the subject category directories and occasionally moving directories between disks as disks run out of space (or fail). So having a conventional tool such as lightroom, which I have tried more than once, does not work well and I have given up with.

Michael Fryd
Re: I'm lost!

BrownieVet wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

mikedodd44 wrote:

There is no + sign under my search field on my MacBookPro Finder.
What shall I enter to search for?

See: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/narrow-your-search-results-mh15155

====

By default, the "Search" field is in the right side of the toolbar of each Finder window.

You can customize the items that appear in the toolbar. Make sure that you have not removed the search field, and that you have selected the option to show the toolbar (View Menu => Customize Toolbar…, View Menu => Show Toolbar).

Enter something into the search field. It doesn't matter what. This opens a search bar under the toolbar. That bar gives you the option of searching the entire Mac, or only the current directory. At the right of this search bar will be the "+" sign for adding additional search criteria.

Once you add additional criteria, you can remove the text you initially entered into the search field of the toolbar.

You can do complex searches like all JPEG images taken during January 2017 where the shutter speed was greater than 2 seconds. The searches are quite fast as a background process on the Mac maintains an index of this information for all your files.

If you have entered keywords or captions to your images they are also searchable.

Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more

mikedodd44 wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

mikedodd44 wrote:

I only occasionally want to do this selection by exif across all disks. Much more frequently I update the locations of files across directories and disks e.g. having files by month to start off with during the labelling and culling stage then later dividing up into the subject category directories and occasionally moving directories between disks as disks run out of space (or fail). So having a conventional tool such as lightroom, which I have tried more than once, does not work well and I have given up with.

I would have thought that Lightroom would be suitable for general use but it looks like you need something custom make which is why programmers are employed to met customer requests.

Brian

mikedodd44 wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

mikedodd44 wrote:

I thought about mentioning that any program that gives you optimum speed by creating its own index will have issues if you move files unless you use that program to move the files; but I see you're aware of that.

If that approach is no good for you, then I guess you're stuck with the very slow 'brute force' approach - which at least is free in the form of Win7 Windows Explorer. I don't know about Win10, but I assume it can do the same.

Michael Fryd

sybersitizen wrote:

I thought about mentioning that any program that gives you optimum speed by creating its own index will have issues if you move files unless you use that program to move the files; but I see you're aware of that.

On the Mac, programs can request notification when files change/move (https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/FSEvents_ProgGuide/TechnologyOverview/TechnologyOverview.html)

Thus a program that keeps a private index can be notified when it needs to rescan.   There is no reason why you should have to manually tell the program to rescan if you move/rename/edit a file.  After all, that's the sort of mundane stuff that computers are supposed to be good at.

I believe that this is part of the technology that underlies the indexing for the built-in "Spotlight" search.

I presume Windows has a similar API.

Michael Fryd wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

I thought about mentioning that any program that gives you optimum speed by creating its own index will have issues if you move files unless you use that program to move the files; but I see you're aware of that.

On the Mac, programs can request notification when files change/move (https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/FSEvents_ProgGuide/TechnologyOverview/TechnologyOverview.html)

Thus a program that keeps a private index can be notified when it needs to rescan. There is no reason why you should have to manually tell the program to rescan if you move/rename/edit a file. After all, that's the sort of mundane stuff that computers are supposed to be good at.

I believe that this is part of the technology that underlies the indexing for the built-in "Spotlight" search.

I presume Windows has a similar API.

The question is Do any image management programs (ones that run on Windows 10, which the person I replied to uses) request and honor such changes and update their own indexes? I'm not aware of one that does.

kangarooplus New Member • Posts: 3

Hello, you can view photos in EXIF mode on Mac in batch using WidsMob EXIF Viewer . By pressing the left or right side arrow key on your keyboard, you can get all photo information smoothly.

mobi1
mobi1 Contributing Member • Posts: 817

I second Exiftool. Yes, it is command line but easy to use and fast.

Another reason to move to Linux world. 

If you have a NAS drive, most likely it is Linux based. You can download Putty and log in to your NAS drive from command prompt and do whatever experiment you like.

Once you get data out as CSV file you can open in spreadsheet and do all slicing and dicing you want.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads