Very underrated camera

Started Jan 29, 2018 | User reviews
Kazzaz Senior Member • Posts: 1,064
Very underrated camera

After one year of use, i have a feeling that this camera is very underrated, the IQ is top notch, it has everything i need.

Best camera investment i have made so far. Value for money is 10/10.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :
https://500px.com/kazzaz

Kazzaz's gear list:Kazzaz's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
Nikon D610
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Oct 8, 2013
Kazzaz's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
KR Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Re: Very underrated camera

I agree. Mine has served me well.

I think the camera carries with it a bit of a ding in reputation because it was the follow-on to the D600 and it's well known problem (one which I think, frankly, was overblown). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a D600 or a D610 today, and I still think this is the best value route for getting into FX.

But of course the D750 is available now, and for not a whole lot more. So I might be tempted by the newer camera to get the flip screen, which I can see as being useful. But still, no regrets about the D610 for me.

KR Photo's gear list:KR Photo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-50mm F4-6.3
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 3,525

Kazzaz wrote:

After one year of use, i have a feeling that this camera is very underrated, the IQ is top notch, it has everything i need.

The problem with the D610 is that for a few hundreds bucks more you can get the D750 which is much much better.

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Sucama
Sucama Regular Member • Posts: 390
  • GrapeJam wrote:

Kazzaz wrote:

The problem with the D610 is that for a few hundreds bucks more you can get the D750 which is much much better.

Yes but put "shutter recall" in Google search and you only find D750, no D610...

Sucama's gear list:Sucama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +5 more
Brent W
Brent W Junior Member • Posts: 38

Sure, but is a recall that’s costs nothing except some time away from your camera a reason to pass up on years of having a superior body?  I’d get the 750, send it in immediately if it qualifies and reap the advantages.

I’ll qualify this though by saying I haven’t owned the 750 and someone else that had to deal with the recall is a better judge of whether the hassle was worth it.

Brent W's gear list:Brent W's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +1 more
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,581

GrapeJam wrote:

This is just 100% not true.

The d750 is marginally better, in some minor ways. The d610 is an exceptional camera.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
DigitalFFUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,430

Kazzaz wrote:

Most bang for the buck camera in the world for the last 5 years!

DigitalFFUser's gear list:DigitalFFUser's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +12 more
GrapeJam

Sigh, the typical mentality of "I don't shoot video so I don't care video features" that is so prevalent on Nikon forums. Sorry but when it comes to video the d750 is a huge upgrade over the d610. The tilty screen is huge for handheld video, 1080p @ 60p instead only 30p, power aperture so you dont have to kick out liveview to change aperture, smooth iris control, much better video quality (moire and aliasing are almost none existant on the d750 while the d610 waa and moire and aliasing train wreck).

Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
OP Kazzaz Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

GrapeJam wrote:

Kazzaz wrote:

While the D750 has a better Autofocus system, still the IQ is the same and the difference in price can secure a good lens like the 85 f1.8, what i wanted to say that the D610 is a great camera that surprisingly was not in the spot light with the other good cameras in the last few years.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

OP Kazzaz Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

Ah, video is something else you are correct, but who cares .

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

robegio Forum Member • Posts: 65

Fake news?  Sad.

robegio's gear list:robegio's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +10 more
paulski66

GrapeJam wrote:

Sorry but when it comes to video the d750 is a huge upgrade over the d610.

Who said anything about video? You sure didn't in your original post.

Anyway, I've had the d750 for 3 years and haven't shot video once. Had a d600 for two years before that, shot one single 30 second or so video. Before that had a d90 and...well, you get the picture.

Honestly, if I want to haul a bunch of furniture and other big stuff around, I get a pickup truck, not a midsize car with a big decent-sized trunk.

If I want to shoot video, I'll get a video camera. Or at least a Sony...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

GrapeJam wrote:

Sigh, the typical mentality of "I don't shoot video so I don't care video features" that is so prevalent on Nikon forums. Sorry but when it comes to video the d750 is a huge upgrade over the d610. The tilty screen is huge for handheld video, 1080p @ 60p instead only 30p, power aperture so you dont have to kick out liveview to change aperture, smooth iris control, much better video quality (moire and aliasing are almost none existant on the d750 while the d610 waa and moire and aliasing train wreck).

Sigh, the mentality of dedicated video shooters.  I don't care about video, you do that's great.  But the stuff you list in the comment above doesn't make the D750 "much much better".

toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

robegio wrote:

Fake news? Sad.

Fake post?  Yup.

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,733
Re: Very underrated camera - Not really. Get real

How could it be underrated?  It's community score rated at 4.5 which is probably a realistic number.  Anyone that writes up a D610 as a 5.0 is missing something.  If a D610 is 5.0 out of 5.0, how would you rate a D750, a D800e, a D810, a D4 or any of the newer ones?

It's a low budget body.  Rate it as such. Give room in your ratings for something better, same as they do in sports.  5.0!  Get real.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
Nobody paints like that anymore either. But it can't be wrong to try - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
GrapeJam

toomanycanons wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

Sigh, the mentality of dedicated video shooters. I don't care about video, you do that's great. But the stuff you list in the comment above doesn't make the D750 "much much better".

I'm not a dedicated video shooter, I'm a hybrid shooter like the increasing number of wedding photographers nowaday who shoot mainly stills with some video to augment our work thus it doesn't make sense for us to get a seperated dedicated video camera system like Panasonic as we don't need those advanced features, it'd be great if our camera also does great video.

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,449

“Very underrated “? Who rated it low? It’s a great camera among a family of great Nikon cameras.

It will be interesting to see what Nikon does with its entry FX camera.

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,267

T O Shooter wrote:

How could it be underrated? It's community score rated at 4.5 which is probably a realistic number. Anyone that writes up a D610 as a 5.0 is missing something. If a D610 is 5.0 out of 5.0, how would you rate a D750, a D800e, a D810, a D4 or any of the newer ones?

It's a low budget body. Rate it as such. Give room in your ratings for something better, same as they do in sports. 5.0! Get real.

I think maybe underrated based on comments posted about somebody's review .....and many have never used the camera but are experts.  I get that you can imagine using it by looking only at specs.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
paulski66

BillyBobSenna wrote:

“Very underrated “? Who rated it low? It’s a great camera among a family of great Nikon cameras.

It will be interesting to see what Nikon does with its entry FX camera.

I think that in the Nikon FX family of cameras, the d610 kind of gets lost in the shuffle. In that sense, it's underrated.

You're right, though, that all of the Nikon FX cameras have been superb. But the perception is out there that this camera is somehow substantially inferior to the d750 (see grapejam's comments, above), and that isn't the case.

T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,733

scokill wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

How could it be underrated? It's community score rated at 4.5 which is probably a realistic number. Anyone that writes up a D610 as a 5.0 is missing something. If a D610 is 5.0 out of 5.0, how would you rate a D750, a D800e, a D810, a D4 or any of the newer ones?

It's a low budget body. Rate it as such. Give room in your ratings for something better, same as they do in sports. 5.0! Get real.

I think maybe underrated based on comments posted about somebody's review .....and many have never used the camera but are experts. I get that you can imagine using it by looking only at specs.

You "get" wrong.  Course you're typically wrong, so carry on.  

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
Nobody paints like that anymore either. But it can't be wrong to try - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads