Facebook is stalking you!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
PanoMax
PanoMax Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Facebook is stalking you!
  • Facebook is about to initiate a very, very invasive method of observing you and tracking you through the most subtle information within each photo you record.

Facebook is stalking you: Creepy new patent demonstrates the lengths they go to “connect people” – such as studying photos to compare smudge marks that would indicate they were taken by the same lens

Is nothing sacred or private any more?

DB

I'm so glad I don't subscribe to it.

PanoMax's gear list:PanoMax's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +1 more
Baumgartner Regular Member • Posts: 171
Re: Facebook is stalking you!

The US is stalking at everyone in the world. If you don't like it, don't use Twitter, don't use Facebook, don't use the internet at all.

cheers
B.

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 15,584
Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 11,748

Should not that be on the Open Forum somewhere?

I do agree with the post though, they (Facebook) are very persistent in bringing in and holding the customers indeed, and it does get quiet annoying at times. More often than I would say it.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Helge Hafting Contributing Member • Posts: 827

PanoMax wrote:

Facebook is stalking you: Creepy new patent demonstrates the lengths they go to “connect people” – such as studying photos to compare smudge marks that would indicate they were taken by the same lens

Nothing new there. They have always done this - if you even see a "like" button on some page, then facebook knows you looked that page. Even if you didn't click it. Even if you aren't a facebook user. This because the "like" button is served directly from facebooks servers, using a link unique to that page.

They do this because their customers are ad businesses that want to see connections. (Facebook users don't actually pay - hence they are not 'customers')

If you don't like this, consider not using facebook - and use some sort of adblocker that removes "like"-buttons and other 'social media' cruft. "ublock" works for me .  .  .

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 15,584
I love Facebook

They have taken over supporting my daughter right out of college this summer. So much so that I have asked her to declare Amy and I as dependents!!          

richard stone Senior Member • Posts: 2,851

None of this shocks me. Except perhaps the naive outrage and concern.

There is a level of information gathered that is, of course, trivial and not disturbing, and then there is what can be described as "over-sharing." But over-sharing is usually voluntary and really only looks bad in retrospect.The EU has some ideas about privacy that differ from the US, but really, so much of what is considered "privacy" is just an illusion. This is not the same as saying why are you afraid of being seen or having people know what your life is like. But Facebook seems to have found and met some basic human need. Or at least a need that was not sufficiently met before. It amounts to everyone having their own domain. Sort of.

I have two teenaged daughters (twins, now 16) who live and breathe these social media sites. They are highly critical of Facebook (the word contempt comes to mind) and yet still use it. They are more involved with youtube and twitter and some other sites. I have a girlfriend (now 30) who dropped Facebook and is wildly active on regular email and texting. In all cases they love the videos and music and news on the internet. In about that order. They share a lot with their online "friends." One of my daughters did videos for a while. No, I don't monitor what they watch. We discuss, usually with great amusement, certain things they like and dislike.

They are all very conscious of the idea that it is all supported by advertising. How is that much different from what Google does when you search? It's all about the hook that gets you involved, and all the time getting more efficient in targeting the advertising to the potential product buyer. As I understood it, even years ago, there was no money to be made from newspaper and magazine "subscriptions," because that level of income really only covers the costs of actual delivery, or something like that, and not much more. The real money always came from the advertisers.

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma SD10 Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads