When did you know you were going to be a decent photographer?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jhunna Contributing Member • Posts: 557
When did you know you were going to be a decent photographer?

I ride the train to work, and the good thing is that I get to see the golden hour every day.  I get to go from no light, to great light to harsh light, and I get to see the same scenes in all these various types of light, and I get to see the seasons change to bring colors, no colors, ice, snow and rain.

I mention this because until recently I was really looking to get a camera with a larger sensor, so that I could take better pictures.  I knew my gx85 was good and I had one of the better smaller lenses in the PL 15mm f1.7, but I wasn't satisfied with my pictures.  I even went out and bought the 20mm f1.7 again, thinking it would make taking pictures more fun.  And I have found plenty of people to cosign my thinking.  That I would enjoy it more if I had better equipment.
Well something clicked this past week, between not shooting at f1.7, and using spot exposure (to get the shot I want while facing the sun) and a combination of proper cropping and editing.  I am finally seeing pictures that I LIKE!  And that is making it fun...
Took me a year to get here with my present gear, when/how did things start clicking for you?

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat Earther Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: When did you know you were going to be a decent photographer?

When I bought my first DSLR.

All I knew at that time was that all decent photographers carried expensive gear, with those big long lenses. The only thing I had a hard time deciding was which brand would make me a professional photographer faster -- Nikon or Canon?

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,877

When I had some photos I felt were worth sharing in a gallery here.

Dutch Newchurch
Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 4,964

I'm still working on it.

I expect it to be a life-long project.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Trafford2
Trafford2 Senior Member • Posts: 3,520

Still working on it, started in 1941 with a simple camera from Woolworths.

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,359

From the first images.

I knew I would be commercially successful when the first agency model I shot got a huge career bounce with my images in his portfolio  and his agency immediately offered  me any of their clients that I was interested in shooting/  working with.

Over the following years I learned attention to detail and serving the specific needs of the client and then I switched to medium format and took over my own lab work  including negative film processing and all enlargements.

Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 3,961

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

I'm still working on it.

I expect it to be a life-long project.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Right there with you on that. I am not sure I am a decent photographer at all.

The two biggest leaps for me was when I got my first autofocus camera, and when I finally embraced post processing.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +16 more
kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 1,916

jhunna wrote:

Took me a year to get here with my present gear, when/how did things start clicking for you?

I am still not sure that I am a decent photographer.  I try not to think about it too much.

My first "aha" moment came on my first roll of film.  I was just out of college in the mid 1980's, and I saved up my money to get an SLR.  I had a book called "The 35mm Photographer's Handbook," and I studied every word of it.  When I finally bought a camera, I spent every evening for about a week practicing with no film in the camera: shutter speed, aperture, composition -- everything.  On Saturday, the day of reckoning arrived.  It was finally time to go out and shoot a real roll of film. I headed out and shot a whole roll of pictures of downtown Atlanta.  At the end of my expedition, I stopped at the photo lab and dropped off the roll of film, explaining to the nice lady at the counter that I was a little nervous because it was my first roll of film ever.  A few days later, I went back to pick up the pictures.  As soon as I walked through the door, the lady at the counter immediately said:  "They're awesome! Everyone who works here has looked at your pictures, and all of us would have been proud to have shot them. You have been quite the topic of conversation around here."   Anyhow, it made me feel good.

Sometimes I think I get sloppy with digital.  It's too easy just to press the shutter ... or fix problems in post. When I shot film, I really thought through everything before I pressed the shutter, knowing that every press of the shutter cost real money.

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Apple iPhone 7 Plus Olympus OM-D E-M10 +16 more
mostlylost Contributing Member • Posts: 589
Haven't done that yet :)
-- hide signature --

But to be honest, it's probably the unicorns.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 15,820
Not a concern

I don't need to be a decent photographer. I just take pictures. I like some of my pictures.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
7pilot Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: Not a concern

That of course is a difficult question. I was lucky in that my first DSLR was bought in Europe because the wife's P&S was stolen in Prague. So it was hard to not be pleased with a picture of a castle on a hilltop in Germany. Or the Eiffel tower at night in the mist. Even if they weren't technically perfect. We were even luckier to have lived in Europe for 4 years.

But the first praise for one of my photos (outside of friends & family) was when I was awarded a spot in the top 10 images of the year in an amatuer photo club I belong to.

D7100+105mm f/2.8 AF-D Micro Nikkor

7pilot's gear list:7pilot's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +5 more
yardcoyote Veteran Member • Posts: 9,986

When I took a particular photograph that said exactly what I wanted to say.  Granted, it was many years before I took another photograph I liked as well, and the number of others that have joined it  in "the good pile" is small, but I know that I have it in me, and that keeps me going.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +14 more
Wheatfield7
Wheatfield7 Senior Member • Posts: 4,905

I think when I was 14.

Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,197

Jerry Ghionis, one of the greatest wedding photographers told me once - don't try to be the best, just try to be better than last week. I'm still keeping that in mind.

Moti

-- hide signature --
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Senior Member • Posts: 7,388

When I see that magic 35-300 f2.8 lens I've been looking for

Aaron801 Senior Member • Posts: 5,025

I feel like I'm only just starting to think that way, after many years of photography. The technical stuff is one thing and though I know that I have room to grow with that, I actually don't care about it all that much. I believe that the technical part of photography, at least for the kind of thing that I do, isn't really all that difficult to do very well, if not actually master.

Where I feel that I've grown as a photographer and what's really important to me is more about really seeing (noticing light the what that shapes work together, textures, etc) and in working in a more personal style (I'm always pleased when someone says something like "that really looks like one of your photos"). For me that last part is really the most important thing and the thing that I actually think that I have the longest way to go with, I want to be the kind of photographer with a real personal, unique kind of vision... and there aren't many!

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400

When I saw people enjoying my prints at the first art exhibition where my work appeared.

OP jhunna Contributing Member • Posts: 557
What do I mean by decent photographer?

I love the answers.  The interesting thing is how “decent” photographer is interpretted.  For myself it means that I take a picture that I am happy to have taken.  I find that when I like it others like it.

I dont qualify a decent photographer as someone who takes photographs for pay.  but one who can please himself through his photography.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 1,842

It's a feeling that waxes and wanes.

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 53,240

When I decided not to take indecent pictures. Like I don't take pictures of Stormy Daniels.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads