Does the RC Mode only works with the small flash trigger?

Started 10 months ago | Questions
adeblonay New Member • Posts: 4
Does the RC Mode only works with the small flash trigger?

Hi all,

I am a bit confused with the RC mode. I want to work with 3 off camera flashes in manual mode using triggers and transmitters because I find using the small olympus flash as a trigger is limiting. Unless the flashes face the camera it doen't always work seamlessly

So at the moment I am using Hahnel capture tranmitter on the hotshoe of the camera and the receivers on the flashes. I wanted to be able to control flash power individually on camera and thought I could do this in RC Mode control panel but it doesn't seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to invest in something like the Cactus V6 Universal Wireless Transiver Flash Trigger?

Looking forward to all your thoughts and thank you in advance for your help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
john isaacs Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re: Does the RC Mode only works with the small flash trigger?

adeblonay wrote:

Hi all,

I am a bit confused with the RC mode. I want to work with 3 off camera flashes in manual mode using triggers and transmitters because I find using the small olympus flash as a trigger is limiting. Unless the flashes face the camera it doen't always work seamlessly

So at the moment I am using Hahnel capture tranmitter on the hotshoe of the camera and the receivers on the flashes. I wanted to be able to control flash power individually on camera and thought I could do this in RC Mode control panel but it doesn't seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to invest in something like the Cactus V6 Universal Wireless Transiver Flash Trigger?

If your 3 off camera flashes are TTL flashes that also work with Olympus RC system, then you have two choices that I am aware of.

The Cactus V6 is the first; it works independently of the RC system, and will do manual remote power control of TTL flashes.  I use the Cactus V6 system with Olympus FL-50/50R flashes, Nikon SB-80DX flashes, and Oympus T2/X2 flashes.  It will work with lots of other flashes; some are pre-programmed, others you have to program with a learning mode.  Once you have done it with one of the Cactus V6, you can transfer the program to your other V6 triggers.  The new Version 2 will offer TTL and HSS to various flashes; they are adding them slowly.  I only have Version 1, so I can't offer any advice on the new ones.  But I do recommend the Cactus V6 if you have existing flashes.  In fact, I prefer the interface to some of the more recent TTL triggers, as it is much easier to do manual control with the V6.  Plus, if you share your setup, you can get some V5 triggers that will trigger the flashes without the ability to change settings.

The second option is the Aokatec AK-TTL.  Not sure if it's still an option (I haven't seen them for sale for over a year), but it provided a radio extension the the Olympus RC system.  You mount the transmitter on the on camera flash, an you attach the receiver to the off camera flashes with a sensor placed over the RC sensor on the flash.  This system was a bit tricky to set up.  I did not like using it with the Olympus add-on flash because it didn't attach well (and could cause the flash to flop down, disabling the system).  But it worked well on Panasonic cameras with flip up flash (using a hot shoe adapter), and it also worked well if I used an FL600 as controller because then it was easy to mount the transmitter.  The hassle in setting it up was just a bit more than I cared for, so I opted for a Nissin system as soon as they released it.  But that's a big expense.

V6 triggers, like most capable triggers, are not cheap.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Ragnar Jensen
Ragnar Jensen Regular Member • Posts: 362

adeblonay wrote:

...I am using Hahnel capture tranmitter on the hotshoe of the camera and the receivers on the flashes. I wanted to be able to control flash power individually on camera and thought I could do this in RC Mode control panel but it doesn't seem to work.

The Olympus Remote Control system is purely optical. You must have a flash that can act as commander on the camera. The Hähnel system is not able to relay any mode or power settings to the off-camera flashes.

I'm using the Cactus V6 system myself. I'm very happy with it. When I do use the Olympus RC system, I use an Olympus FL-600R flash on-camera. It is able to act as a commander and has a lot more oomph than the small flip-up.

-- hide signature --

Ragnar

Ragnar Jensen's gear list:Ragnar Jensen's gear list
Olympus Stylus Verve Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 +13 more
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262

adeblonay wrote:

Hi all,

In the Olympus flash systen RC stands for Remote Control, not Radio Control and uses optical signals (flashes of light) to control remote flashes. For it to work it needs a Master/Commander flash on the camera which sends pulses of light to the remote flashes to control them. The remote flashes need to be compatible with the Olympus flash system and need to be able to see the pulses of light (or a strong reflection).

The receivers for these flash signal are on the front of the flash unit so it is often necessary to have the body of remote flashes pointing at the camera even if their heads are pointing away.

If the remote flashes aren't Olympus RC flash system compatible then they can't be remotely controlled. However they can still be triggered in slave mode.

If you are using any other transmitter other than a compatible Master/Commander flash you are not able to remotely control remote flashes. You can still trigger them in manual mode but you whill have to change flash settings on the flashes, not the camera.

There is (was?) a work around using the Aokatek-TTL system. This uses a transmitter on the camera and receivers on remote flashes. The transmitter sees and converts the optical signals to radio signals. The receiver units convert these radio signals back to optical signals and re transmit them to the flashes. A bit clunky but it works. I use this system regularly but am not sure if it is still available.

Several flash systems use their own propritary flash control systems which require their own specific controller to be mounted on the camera and their own flashes as receivers. TTL is usually not available with these systems. Yongnuo is a good example of this type of system. You can buy 3 Yongnuo flashes for the price of a single Olympus RC compatible flash.

Godox have a very good flash control system that works with a large range of Godox flashes from a cheap speedlight to expensive studio strobes. They are rolling out Olympus versions of their flashes and controllers (Godox TT350O (note the final character is letter O not the number zero)).

At the very expensive end of the market Profoto make an Olympus compatible flash controller.

Pocket Wizard are yet to make an Olympus version of their flash system.

The Cactus V6 system only works with certain flashes. Check on their website to see if your flashes are compatible.

I currently use the Olympus RC system utilising the optical pulses and add the Aokatek-TTL when there are visibility issues. However if I were to loose/break my flash gear I would probably replace it with the Godox system.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

OP adeblonay New Member • Posts: 4

Amazing John thank you so much for your detailed answer! I have read a lot about the Cactus so I think I will go for that! You are a star. Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

OP adeblonay New Member • Posts: 4

Ok great! V6 it is

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads