Panasonic Leica Lenses - mFT, do they have the "Leica Look"?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
marc petzold
marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,131
Panasonic Leica Lenses - mFT, do they have the "Leica Look"?

Good Morning,

i am questioning myself, if the Panasonic Lenses, which are made for m43/mFT Systems, are really comparable into terms of Leica Look (3D Pop, Bokeh, Contrast) to typical Leica Lenses, let's say the 18-56 Zoom for the Leica CL, TL for instance, the Panasonic Leica 12-60/2.8-4 lens? From what i've read so far - Panasonic does make the lenses, under Leica quality control - but that doesn't mean in any way, that Leica have had designed these lenses.

I do have a old G1 from 2008, and soon, the Leica 14-150 ASPH...because i do needed the extra reach of focal length, way too often during the past months, and with my usual 28-70/24-105 Lenses, i am always being forced to carry two Bodies, or switching lenses, which i do never "on the fly" on location, or outside the house.

From what i've seen from the 14-150, it does indeed being capable to produce really nice images.

I'm drawn by Zeiss Lenses, because i do love their 3D Pop Ability, and rendering style, microcontrast...but from what i've seen the past 2-3 decades...Leica Lenses tend to be onto the warmer side, whileas Zeiss is rendering colors somehow cooler....

Maybe someone here would own a APS-C Leica System (LXV, or TL(2), CL) and also a mFT System with Panasonic "Leica" Lenses to compare?

Good Light !

Marc

-- hide signature --

"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 A3000 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +64 more
Jono Slack
Jono Slack Forum Pro • Posts: 20,545
Re: Panasonic Leica Lenses - mFT, do they have the "Leica Look"?

Hi there Marc

Well, I do have the 18-56 with the CL . . And the 12-60 with the G9.

My trouble is to get my head around a definition of that “Leica Look”

What is certain is that Leica and Panasonic have done a great job with the new Mft

All the best

-- hide signature --
 Jono Slack's gear list:Jono Slack's gear list
Leica M10 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm F3.5-4.5 ASPH Apple iPhone X
TheClueless
TheClueless Senior Member • Posts: 1,944

No, because "the Leica Look" is as much a component of the sensors and image processing of the Leica bodies as much as optics are.

Adding to that, the PanaLeicas are entirely designed and built by Panasonic, with them paying Leica to slap their logo on them after an 'audit'. It's exactly the same deal as Huawei paying to slap a logo on their phones for a camera assembly that's entirely designed by Huawei (and a very similar deal with Sony - Zeiss, and that deal might actually be more stringent in terms of Zeiss certification).

Then we get to MFT itself. At pretty much any FoV you're going to get a much flatter-looking image that's honestly closer to a compact than being able to draw comparisons with FF.

Think of MFT PanaLeicas as an L. They're the best that the manufacturer can do, but in this case they've decided to buy in someone else's name because they think their own name doesn't have the cred, regardless of its merits - and it clearly works at the bottom feeder level, because there's any number of people who look at the Pana compacts and go "Leica lens! I'm buying that over the Sony". And at some levels, Pana can and do borrow small handling elements from Leicas that work in their products - not just the name.

I actually really like the PanaLeicas in general - the 15mm is one of my favourite MFT lenses if not my favourite mirrorless lens, period - but true flagship lenses like the Nocticron don't really make sense to me within MFT. I'd rather carry an APS-C DSLR/MLC with a 1.8 (or even a 1.2 - the X-T20 with the 56mm doesn't come out any less unbalanced) than a 1.2 lens in MFT that's going to weigh the same as an APS-C equivalent.

TheClueless's gear list:TheClueless's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Leica M10 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R III Fujifilm X-H1 +86 more
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,327

Aren't the Leica zooms also made by Panasonic?

There is an interesting interview about the Leica look and lenses in the Luminous Landscape website. They design the lenses prioritising top performance wide open, including sharpness and aberration control.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
marc petzold
OP marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,131

Jono Slack wrote:

Hi there Marc

Well, I do have the 18-56 with the CL . . And the 12-60 with the G9.

My trouble is to get my head around a definition of that “Leica Look”

What is certain is that Leica and Panasonic have done a great job with the new Mft

All the best

Thanks Jono.

About that Leica "Look" - I'd wish for getting a CL with 18-56 Zoom, but i do think, for now, the Leica 14-150 should do it, with G1....perhaps i'd upgrade to a G81, someday....or the LVX then....because 16 MP is way enough (don't need personally >12 MP) and with it's 28-70 Lens, it's alright.

Good Light !

Marc

-- hide signature --

marc petzold

TheClueless wrote:

No, because "the Leica Look" is as much a component of the sensors and image processing of the Leica bodies as much as optics are.

Adding to that, the PanaLeicas are entirely designed and built by Panasonic, with them paying Leica to slap their logo on them after an 'audit'. It's exactly the same deal as Huawei paying to slap a logo on their phones for a camera assembly that's entirely designed by Huawei (and a very similar deal with Sony - Zeiss, and that deal might actually be more stringent in terms of Zeiss certification).

Then we get to MFT itself. At pretty much any FoV you're going to get a much flatter-looking image that's honestly closer to a compact than being able to draw comparisons with FF.

Think of MFT PanaLeicas as an L. They're the best that the manufacturer can do, but in this case they've decided to buy in someone else's name because they think their own name doesn't have the cred, regardless of its merits - and it clearly works at the bottom feeder level, because there's any number of people who look at the Pana compacts and go "Leica lens! I'm buying that over the Sony". And at some levels, Pana can and do borrow small handling elements from Leicas that work in their products - not just the name.

I actually really like the PanaLeicas in general - the 15mm is one of my favourite MFT lenses if not my favourite mirrorless lens, period - but true flagship lenses like the Nocticron don't really make sense to me within MFT. I'd rather carry an APS-C DSLR/MLC with a 1.8 (or even a 1.2 - the X-T20 with the 56mm doesn't come out any less unbalanced) than a 1.2 lens in MFT that's going to weigh the same as an APS-C equivalent.

Thanks for that. Well, i do also own an X-E1, but it doesn't have that "Look" i do usually see from Leica or Zeiss Lenses...currently, i have only the 18-55 and 16-50 II Zooms, but for Kitlenses, each one is (speaken into their pricerange) really good lenses - not being Leica or Zeiss, of course.

But i do miss the "Pop", or 3D Pop, also the Microcontrast...here.

Maybe i'd get the PanaLeica 12-60/2.8-4 someday...because i do think it's a fine zoom lens, only the corners, are a tad too soft...

That 5D/24-105F4L Combo is way too heavy to carry it all day - and also no 3D Pop here, but i do have this, when using the 28-85 Vario Sonnar onto it...

Good Light !

Marc

-- hide signature --

TheClueless

marc petzold wrote:

TheClueless wrote:

Thanks for that. Well, i do also own an X-E1, but it doesn't have that "Look" i do usually see from Leica or Zeiss Lenses...currently, i have only the 18-55 and 16-50 II Zooms, but for Kitlenses, each one is (speaken into their pricerange) really good lenses - not being Leica or Zeiss, of course.

I think you've bought into the Fujifanboi stuff. The kit lenses are OK, and bodies have weak sensors while also not having handling benefits.

The 'advanced kit' offers headline numbers and many people assume because F2.8 it's e.g. the equal of the Panasonic 12-35. If you shoot a bit and don't buy into the Fuji cosmetics or it's 'heritage' - Fuji fans often make the "Fuji also makes broadcast lenses that cost more than your car, who else does that?" case for their credibility - it's clearly not. I find the entire high-end XF prime lineup a mehfest TBH. Fairly priced for what they are, but not remarkable by any means, especially when you have to put it on a Fuji body.

Leica sensors may be equally unremarkable technically, but they generate excellent results for post straight away without a legion of fanbois telling you "you're using the wrong RAW processor!".

It's clear from the purchase history (the gear list is very helpful) that people who can't afford Leica but want Leica buy Fuji and will it to be something similar - when key aspects of handling and other things that make Leicas that actually make them Leicas (and we aren't even talking about lenses or technical superiority) are actually (often laughably) absent.

But i do miss the "Pop", or 3D Pop, also the Microcontrast...here.

Maybe i'd get the PanaLeica 12-60/2.8-4 someday...because i do think it's a fine zoom lens, only the corners, are a tad too soft...

I'd say wait for an improved version. Unless you really need the extra light or Dual IS, what it has over the 12-60 kit IMO isn't worth it. To me it's one of the slight misfire PanaLeicas - especially as they pitch it for video, where the variable aperture is a deal-killer.

That 5D/24-105F4L Combo is way too heavy to carry it all day - and also no 3D Pop here, but i do have this, when using the 28-85 Vario Sonnar onto it...

Good Light !

Marc

-- hide signature --

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Leica M10 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R III Fujifilm X-H1 +86 more
Ross
Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 4,994

I have shot with Leica lenses since 1974, both M, R and now mFt. I am the kind of photographer that considers the "PRINT" to be the final product. I personally think that you can see a "LOOK" in comparative prints (even my wife can pick out the Leica print from a pair). Electronic displays don't seem to work for me for seeking the "LOOK" in photography.
Lens designs are always compromises in the play of always present aberrations. It almost seems that culture enters into the mix with how those compromises are chosen.  There is the German/European and Japanese/Asian approached to the visual and now we have the "computer" culture for those clinically sharp/no character lenses.

I do shoot with mFT and have the Summilux 12mm & 25mm Leica/Pana lenses. For me they are good at giving me the rendering (aberration compromises) that looks good in prints. I can't talk about zooms because the compromises present in the the zooo0m :-\ range are just too strange to wrap my head around.

Documenting or Artistic Rendering attitudes will flavor each of our ideas about "LOOK", but even DOF can twist an attitude......:-)

-- hide signature --

Bob

Ross's gear list:Ross's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-1 Leica M8 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 +1 more
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,334

TheClueless wrote:

... bought into the Fujifanboi stuff. The ... bodies have weak sensors

Leica sensors may be equally unremarkable technically, but they generate excellent results for post straight away without a legion of fanbois telling you "you're using the wrong RAW processor!".

"unremarkable" Leica is a synonym for "weak" Fuji? Leica gives you a good file for post processing - agreed. And Fuji X gives you a good file for post processing. As for which processing program, every brand of camera I've used required me to learn how to get a good result in post processing from its files.

These days you can get a good Fuji X image with Lightroom. Some of us think you can get an even better image with Raw Therapee, but we think the same about these programs working on Leica files.

... people who can't afford Leica but want Leica buy Fuji and will it to be something similar

And some people can afford Leica, buy it, and will their miserable photographs to be marvelous. Enough of the name-calling and sneers!

COYQ Senior Member • Posts: 1,985

First, can you post a photo that shows the 'Leica look' which you refer to?

TheClueless

Charles2 wrote:

TheClueless wrote:

... bought into the Fujifanboi stuff. The ... bodies have weak sensors

"unremarkable" Leica is a synonym for "weak" Fuji? Leica gives you a good file for post processing - agreed. And Fuji X gives you a good file for post processing. As for which processing program, every brand of camera I've used required me to learn how to get a good result in post processing from its files.

These days you can get a good Fuji X image with Lightroom. Some of us think you can get an even better image with Raw Therapee, but we think the same about these programs working on Leica files.

... people who can't afford Leica but want Leica buy Fuji and will it to be something similar

And some people can afford Leica, buy it, and will their miserable photographs to be marvelous.

Some do for sure.

Enough of the name-calling and sneers!

It's the delusion, and the ridiculous defensiveness on top of that more than anything else...

... oh look.

David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,179

I'd bet the relationship between Panasonic and Leica is less clear than any claimed "definitive" take on it you may read.

In my experience the 42.5/1.2 lens for the m43 system has the characteristic very sharp with an abrupt transition between in-focus and out-of-focus look of modern Leica M lenses. The 25/1.4 is a nice lens but doesn't have that same look. I also have the 100–400mm zoom, which I really like, but my experience with Leica R zooms is nil so I can't compare.

(I'm on the fence about the way current Leica M lenses render. Sometimes I like the high, sparkly clarity they have while other times I find it too much of a good thing. YMMV. This is why I also keep a full set of 1960s & '70s Leitz lens designs on hand. These lenses are gentler in their rendering, with a more gradual transition from in to out-of focus, and also tend to be a bit green- rather than magenta-tilted in color balance.)

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Leica M10 Sony a7 III +7 more
athensGA Regular Member • Posts: 290

I tend to agree with this. I've used MFT extensively. It's a very capable and versatile system. I've gotten some great results with this gear. But the sensor DOES have its limitations, and to my mind paying $1000-plus for large premium lenses defeats the purpose of the system. Though the resulting images are excellent it's hard to justify using such suberb glass on a limiting sensor.

As for the PL15mm lens, that thing is just magical - small with great build, glass and render. And the 30mm eq FL is surprisingly versatile. I've sold my MFT gear (mainly due to lack of compelling cameras) but the thought of that lens alone makes me miss it.

bosjohn21
bosjohn21 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,456

the f 1.7 twenty is close

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

deep7 Contributing Member • Posts: 997

I barely qualify to answer but can make observations from some experience.  My only Leica lenses are a couple of older M lenses that need a clean and, even then, I only use them adapted on an L body.  My only Panasonic/Leica lens that I can use on a m4/3 body is their first interchangeable effort, the Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-3.5/14-50 ASPH.

If you define the "Leica look" as being sufficiently, if not obsessively, sharp, with emphasis on in-focus to out-of-focus transitions, colour and contrast, the 14-50 has it in spades.  It's an absolutely wonderful lens in that regard, though large by 4/3 standards and huge by m4/3 standards.  Looking at some of the m4/3 lenses with the Leica badge, I wouldn't say all of them achieve that.  On the other hand, I don't think any of them are lemons.

Oddly, the Leica badged zoom lens on my Panasonic FZ1000 also gives that look in part of its zoom range but definitely doesn't earn the name at the long end!  Sadly, I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question but, on the other hand, do all Leica lenses give the "Leica look"?

-- hide signature --

Don.
A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

marc petzold

deep7 wrote:

I barely qualify to answer but can make observations from some experience. My only Leica lenses are a couple of older M lenses that need a clean and, even then, I only use them adapted on an L body. My only Panasonic/Leica lens that I can use on a m4/3 body is their first interchangeable effort, the Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-3.5/14-50 ASPH.

If you define the "Leica look" as being sufficiently, if not obsessively, sharp, with emphasis on in-focus to out-of-focus transitions, colour and contrast, the 14-50 has it in spades. It's an absolutely wonderful lens in that regard, though large by 4/3 standards and huge by m4/3 standards. Looking at some of the m4/3 lenses with the Leica badge, I wouldn't say all of them achieve that. On the other hand, I don't think any of them are lemons.

Oddly, the Leica badged zoom lens on my Panasonic FZ1000 also gives that look in part of its zoom range but definitely doesn't earn the name at the long end! Sadly, I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question but, on the other hand, do all Leica lenses give the "Leica look"?

Thanks Don. I've just received today my PanaLeica 14-150 Lens into mint condition, just waiting for the FT/mFT Adapter, for using it onto my G1. Still being undecided, *if* i'd upgrade someday to the Olympus Route, means OM-D Body, perhaps used M1 Mk. I, and Zuiko Lenses, or the G80/G81 Pana someday, and Leica-Panasonic Lenses...well, the 2013 M1 Body is hell cheaper, but i do think the Panasonic Leica Lenses would work best onto a Panasonic Body, or does somebody use these "Leica" lenses onto a OM-D M1 here?

My 14-150 is also huge, in FT/mFT terms, with 72mm Filterthread... but i got this lens for a bargain price, and couldn't resist...and since 2007, always wanted it...28-300 in FF-terms with good IQ.

Good Light !

Marc

marc petzold

David Kieltyka wrote:

I'd bet the relationship between Panasonic and Leica is less clear than any claimed "definitive" take on it you may read.

In my experience the 42.5/1.2 lens for the m43 system has the characteristic very sharp with an abrupt transition between in-focus and out-of-focus look of modern Leica M lenses. The 25/1.4 is a nice lens but doesn't have that same look. I also have the 100–400mm zoom, which I really like, but my experience with Leica R zooms is nil so I can't compare.

(I'm on the fence about the way current Leica M lenses render. Sometimes I like the high, sparkly clarity they have while other times I find it too much of a good thing. YMMV. This is why I also keep a full set of 1960s & '70s Leitz lens designs on hand. These lenses are gentler in their rendering, with a more gradual transition from in to out-of focus, and also tend to be a bit green- rather than magenta-tilted in color balance.)

-Dave-

Hello Dave and all,

i am thinking about a look like this, a user posted here with his M10, albeit FF.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4168031

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4165958

I do think, i won't get this Look (microcontrast & 3D Pop) with a cheaper PanaLeica Lens (Prime or Zoom) and just the into comparsion small mFT Sensor?

The current (new) PanaLeica 12-60/2.8-4 seems being able to give some subject isolation and 3D Pop, when i watch pictures from Flickr, Samples here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=leica%2012-60

Good Light !

Marc

-- hide signature --

Conrad69 Junior Member • Posts: 48

What I consider desirable properties of a photographic system, and which I can recognize in photos taken with Leica cameras (especially M/Q/SL) and a large number of Leica lenses, are the following (call it the "Leica look" if you want):

1. Good resolving power already wide open, with clear transitions from in-focus to out-of-focus, and a soft rendering of out-of-focus highlights. Good lenses tempt you to shoot wide open.
  2. Compact, some vignetting wide open is allowed (or even a bit desirable).
  3. Very low chromatic aberration, both lateral (purple fringing in focus) as longitudinal (reddish+green fringing of black/white transitions out of focus).
  4. Clean color reproduction, maybe at the cost of high ISO performance. With clean I do not mean a 100% Gretach-Macbeth reproduction (even though being close is desirable). What I mean is that Gretach-Macbeth has easy colors: they have a smooth spectral distribution, and no UV content. Real life is not like that. Skin is different. Leaf green is different. The sky is different. All colors I value have some spectral curves which are not captured by a Gretach-Macbeth calibration.
    A trick to improve high ISO response is to widen the spectral response of the green pixels a little bit with respect to your eyes' response. You can correct for that in an ICC profile, but it will harm skin tone reproduction. Which you can correct as well by shifting the red point more to orange and reduce red saturation. But in the end it is a frustrating compromise. Same story at the blue end. To avoid lens design that really has to compensate lateral CA, just cut off the blue response of the sensor at a longer wavelength than your eyes, and fix in the ICC profile. It will give you a very non-exciting sky color response, since most of the color is at short wavelengths.
    Phase One has really understood this, as demonstrated with their tri-chromatic sensor. But the color reproduction of the SL, Q, and M10 is to my eyes also very, very good. But they do not beat Sony in the high ISO department.

Back to the OP's question. I am using m43 now for close to 10 years, and I have 3 Leica branded lenses: the 25/1.4, the 12-60/2.8-4, and the 45/2.8 macro. Other lenses I have or had, are the 12-35/2.8, the 35-100/2.8, the 7-14/4, and the 75/1.8. I have used the GF1, the GX1, the GH4, the GH5, and extensively tested the EM1-Mk2. I will rank the lenses to criteria 1-3, and the cameras to criterion 4.

1. All lenses, Leica branded or not, are good to excellent wide open. The best focus transition is generated by the 75/1.8 and the 45/2.8, but the 35-100 is close (for all practical purposes the 35-100 is a better lens than the 75). The out of focus rendering of the 25 is OK, but not special. The 12-60 is better than the 12-35, except for field curvature at the short end. This can be disappointing when shooting landscapes where the edge of the image is not always in focus.
  2. They are without doubt all compact. The 25 and 45 have the vignetting often seen in M lenses.
  3. The 45 is the CA champion, or lack thereof. Rumored to be a Minolta design, it is very low on CA, all the way down to 1:1 repro. The 25 is relatively bad, lots of purple fringing. The zooms, with their smaller apertures, are all OK. The 75 has visible longitudinal CA wide open.
  4. The color repro of Panasonic is mediocre at best. It can to a large extent be optimized/corrected afterwards with proper RAW processing, but every scene and camera needs to be treated differently. This is not efficient. It has improved significantly with the GH4/5, but it is still far from good. Olympus is slightly better, especially on sky color. It is well known that the Olympus spectral response extends deeper in the blue, giving the 7-14 purple fringes due to uncorrected CA in that (otherwise excellent) lens.

So pick your "leica look". The lens that ticks most boxes is the 45/2.8, but it will not give you the small DOF associated with shooting a FF Summicron wide open, far from it. I have not tried the 17/1.7, the 12/1.4, or the 42.5/1.2. The first is likely to be the best with respect to the criteria. The other two also seem to be very good lenses, but start defeating the purpose of a compact system, since a 24-70/2.8 ff zoom offers close to the same in a similar overall footprint, but with the additional benefits of a larger sensor and being a zoom.

Conrad69's gear list:Conrad69's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +3 more
deep7 Contributing Member • Posts: 997

marc petzold wrote:

deep7 wrote:

I barely qualify to answer but can make observations from some experience. My only Leica lenses are a couple of older M lenses that need a clean and, even then, I only use them adapted on an L body. My only Panasonic/Leica lens that I can use on a m4/3 body is their first interchangeable effort, the Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-3.5/14-50 ASPH.

If you define the "Leica look" as being sufficiently, if not obsessively, sharp, with emphasis on in-focus to out-of-focus transitions, colour and contrast, the 14-50 has it in spades. It's an absolutely wonderful lens in that regard, though large by 4/3 standards and huge by m4/3 standards. Looking at some of the m4/3 lenses with the Leica badge, I wouldn't say all of them achieve that. On the other hand, I don't think any of them are lemons.

Oddly, the Leica badged zoom lens on my Panasonic FZ1000 also gives that look in part of its zoom range but definitely doesn't earn the name at the long end! Sadly, I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question but, on the other hand, do all Leica lenses give the "Leica look"?

Thanks Don. I've just received today my PanaLeica 14-150 Lens into mint condition, just waiting for the FT/mFT Adapter, for using it onto my G1. Still being undecided, *if* i'd upgrade someday to the Olympus Route, means OM-D Body, perhaps used M1 Mk. I, and Zuiko Lenses, or the G80/G81 Pana someday, and Leica-Panasonic Lenses...well, the 2013 M1 Body is hell cheaper, but i do think the Panasonic Leica Lenses would work best onto a Panasonic Body, or does somebody use these "Leica" lenses onto a OM-D M1 here?

My 14-150 is also huge, in FT/mFT terms, with 72mm Filterthread... but i got this lens for a bargain price, and couldn't resist...and since 2007, always wanted it...28-300 in FF-terms with good IQ.

Good Light !

Marc

The irony here is that, if you are using one of the four 4/3 Leica branded lenses on m4/3, you are best using an Olympus body, specifically the EM1 or EM1 Mk2.  That's because these two are still the only ones that have phase detect autofocus, which is what these lenses were designed for.  Otherwise they rattle around pretty terribly in autofocus and are best used manually.  I sometimes put my 14-50 on my EM1.  I love the look but, sooner or later, it's back in the cupboard on my L1 body, where it belongs!

Well done with your bargain.  I ended up with my 14-50 virtually for free, amazing considering what they cost new.  I still keep half an eye open for the very rare 25/1.4 (4/3 mount, not the common m4/3 lens) but the only one I have seen for sale went for a lot of money.

-- hide signature --

Don.
A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

tinternaut Veteran Member • Posts: 7,732
Re: I enjoyed the Luminous Landscape Leica series

biza43 wrote:

Aren't the Leica zooms also made by Panasonic?

There is an interesting interview about the Leica look and lenses in the Luminous Landscape website. They design the lenses prioritising top performance wide open, including sharpness and aberration control.

What impressed me about the approach to lenses was the fact you can buy a smaller, slower lens from Leica and expect it it be anything but cheap and nasty.  The other manufacturers can’t do that,  because, I think,  their user communities are hard wired to that assumption.  I’m guilty myself of writing here that I would never spend “that much money” on an f1.8 lens (thinking the Zeiss 55mm FE).

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus PEN E-P5 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads