How can I compute the size of the camera sensor which is involved in recording video

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
gipulen New Member • Posts: 2
How can I compute the size of the camera sensor which is involved in recording video

THe resolution of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is 5472 x 3648 pixels.Sensor width = 13.20 mm, Sensor height = 8.80 mm, aspect ratio=1.5. However, when taking videos the resolution changes to 1,920 x 1,080 (16:9 aspect ratio). SO that suggests that the camera crops part of the sensors when taking videos. Is it possible to know/compute the size of the part of the sensor that is involved in taking videos?

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,388
Re: How can I compute the size of the camera sensor which is involved in recording video

gipulen wrote:

THe resolution of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is 5472 x 3648 pixels.Sensor width = 13.20 mm, Sensor height = 8.80 mm, aspect ratio=1.5. However, when taking videos the resolution changes to 1,920 x 1,080 (16:9 aspect ratio). SO that suggests that the camera crops part of the sensors when taking videos.

The camera does crop for video, but it does not crop to 1920x1080 on the sensor. That would be a ridiculously small 2MP out of 20MP!

The 1920x1080 result is downsampled from a much higher resolution capture area that's nearly the size of the sensor.

Is it possible to know/compute the size of the part of the sensor that is involved in taking videos?

It's possible. Is it important?

Anyway, if you assume a recorded width of 13.2mm and a recorded aspect ratio of 16:9, the recorded height would be 7.425mm. Is that close enough for your purpose? Bear in mind that electronic image stabilization requires a reserved 'buffer' of surrounding pixels, which would further reduce the actual area available for capture.

sludge21017
sludge21017 Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: How can I compute the size of the camera sensor which is involved in recording video
OP gipulen New Member • Posts: 2
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,388

gipulen wrote:

Thanks sybersitizen. It is very important to determine the exact size of the sensor for my scientific application. There is cropping also in width, so I cannot use this simple calculation.

Well, the only information offered by Sony is that the still image capture area in 16:9 mode is 5472×3080 pixels.

If the video crop mode is different, you would probably have to obtain the camera and shoot a controlled scene so you can compare the cropped still capture area to the cropped video capture area. That specific information is not published anywhere I know of.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads