70d Focus issue with some lenses only

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Philippe21 New Member • Posts: 4
70d Focus issue with some lenses only

I just tested 3 of my lenses with reikan FoCal and the results are very different.... With the tamron 17-50 (non vc) and the canon 50mm f1.8 the focus is not good. sometimes it has back focus issues, sometimes front.... there's no constancy .  With my Tokina 50-135 the test perform very well, no focus issues at all!  There is a lot of thread of 70d with bad focus, is it my case or it's only two of my lenses that are "tired"?  Excuse my bad English writting..... I'm a french speaking person....     Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ray UK Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: 70d Focus issue with some lenses only

When using Focal one of the most important things is lighting, if you have poor artifical light then you will not get good consistent results. Daylight or bright Halogen lighting seems to perform best.

Almost all of the Canon 50mm lenses suffer with inconsistent focusing and a softness at full aperture which seems to confuse Focal. If you have Focal Pro then you can do the calibration with the lens stopped down slightly, about f2.8, this will produce better results. I don't have experience of the Tamron lens but this may also benefit from stopping down a little.

photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,078

Wouldn't this be fixable with microadjustment? Never used it myself, luckily all my 6 lenses focus perfectly, even if my one older Tamron hunts a lot more.

-- hide signature --

The best bokeh goes unnoticed, grasshopper.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,489

I would be extremely surprised if MFA was any use with the problem as described, no matter what "tool" or method you use.

The OP said that the poor focus was not consistent - sometimes back, sometimes front. MFA will only help if it gets it wrong in a pretty consistent way every time I think.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
OP Philippe21 New Member • Posts: 4

I will try this thanks

Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 144

Don’t want to frighten you but I sold my 70d because it was unable to focus correctly my 50 1.4 canon or sigma at 1.4. I bought a 6d and all was fine.

This focus issue is well known, plenty of comments and videos about it (I read a lot when Indiscovered my problem). Probably not all 70d are affected. Don’t really know

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,130

How about trying live view? If the focus is still not consistent, maybe the issue is with the lens. Have not used Focal although I thought about it to avoid trial and error type testing. However, I don't have a laptop and no real need to buy one. Can't use my Chromebook.

Greg

saxyomega90125
saxyomega90125 Junior Member • Posts: 39

Can we assume you have tested these lenses on another camera body as well? It is possible the Tamron and 50mm both have imprecise focusing, which would not be the fault of the camera.

I have no experience with the Tamron or the Tokina you mentioned, but I have owned a 50mm STM, which had autofocus that was accurate but imprecise. That was one of the reasons I sold the lens. I had the chance to test another after that to see if it behaved the same way, which it did.

Since you said English is not your first language, the previous paragraph may not translate well. What I mean is that the focus was on average near the correct distance, but different autofocus attempts were not near eachother.

saxyomega90125's gear list:saxyomega90125's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more

Thank you very much for your reply!, I will test the lens with another camera . I contacted Canon  for that matter and they proposed some tests to do.... I will et you know!

Thanks

I've just test the 70d with another lens: the canon 17-55f2,8. The test was perfect! So I do not think my 70d has an issue but the lenses. Thanks for your help!

Brisn5757 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,190

Patlezinc wrote:

Don’t want to frighten you but I sold my 70d because it was unable to focus correctly my 50 1.4 canon or sigma at 1.4. I bought a 6d and all was fine.

This focus issue is well known, plenty of comments and videos about it (I read a lot when Indiscovered my problem). Probably not all 70d are affected. Don’t really know

I've had no focus issues with my Canon 70D. I've used Canon brand of lens 18-135mm 50mm and 10-18mm. Like most cameras there can be problems when trying to focus in low lighting conditions.

Brian

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more

It is not about that.

Shooting in bright day at 1.4 was clearly showing the problem. A car at 20m for instance. Focus can be 10m front or 10m back at the next shot.

I see some comments here about other lenses tested. But testing a 17-55 2.8 is not relevant : focus problem is seen easily with small DOP. They still exist with smaller aperture but they are masked by the increased DOP. So you don’t see them. If you shoot with 2.8 or smaller aperture lenses, you will probably never notice it.

Take a car at 20m, at 1.4. Take 10 shots and see. If all are ok then your 70d is ok.

btw, yes, I tried with live view and all was fine. So it was not Lens related.

-- hide signature --

My gallery : https://www.icloud.com/shared album/#B0p532ODWJGjW5r

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more

As I saif before, a lot of 70d were affected by this (don’t know how many %) but a quick google search can show you many videos about that.

The first I found : https://youtu.be/cA6JnzYSDJE

There are a lot.

And Canon never admitted this problem. If you have it and like 1.4 lenses, sell it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads