Problem with battery grip

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
girello
girello Contributing Member • Posts: 643
Problem with battery grip

Hi all,

An year ago I purchased a Neewer battery grip for my d610, it always worked perfectly until last week, when it suddenly stopped working. Power was on, but I could not focus or shoot with it. The vendor refunded me and I bought another one from the same shop. Unfortunately I got the same results,power is on, but the buttons on the grip are not working...did I get a faulty one or could it be the camera? Are there any adjustments in the camera setup to control the grip, that I may have changed by mistake?

Ciao and thanks

girello's gear list:girello's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,366
Re: Problem with battery grip

clean the contacts?

otherwise get a different grip. Maybe the Nikon one.

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +16 more
T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 8,653

girello wrote:

Hi all,

An year ago I purchased a Neewer battery grip for my d610, it always worked perfectly until last week, when it suddenly stopped working. Power was on, but I could not focus or shoot with it. The vendor refunded me and I bought another one from the same shop. Unfortunately I got the same results,power is on, but the buttons on the grip are not working...did I get a faulty one or could it be the camera? Are there any adjustments in the camera setup to control the grip, that I may have changed by mistake?

Ciao and thanks

Find someone with a 600 / 610 ( same shop? ) and try the grip on that body. Process of elimination.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
Nobody paints like that anymore either. But it can't be wrong to try - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 1,637

There is a chance that resetting the camera might fix the problem.  You'd have to check your manual for instructions to do that.  Or leaving the battery out of your camera for a week or two and then putting it back in MIGHT solve the problem.

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 +11 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904

girello wrote:

Hi all,

Ciao and thanks

I'm not quite sure, if it is this:

Be sure, the AF-activation method is the same for the camera as set for the grip.

If you use AF-ON for the camera, you have to set User Menu f9 to AF-ON for the grip.

Just my guess.....

-- hide signature --

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
historianx
historianx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

clean the contacts?

otherwise get a different grip. Maybe the Nikon one.

Agree.  You get what you pay for with third-party clones, which I will not touch.

When I purchase a new body, I always wait for the promotions that throw a free Nikon grip into the deal.

-- hide signature --

http://jamesmbailey.com
Stop Whining, Start Shooting

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
girello
OP girello Contributing Member • Posts: 643

Hi guys,

thanks for your answers! I understand that a Nikon grip would work better, but it costs 10X more!

And my problem is that my grip used to work perfectly and then suddenly it stopped working, thene the second did not work from scratch...

I tried cleaning contacts and removing batteries, but no results.

The fact that two different vendors refunded me directly is probably a sign that the product is easily faulty...I will try with a third one, then soon I will probably chnage camera and in that case I will consider an original grip...

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
johnchap2 Contributing Member • Posts: 921

Not clear to me if the shutter button on the camera body would not work with grip attached, or that the shutter release on the grip was the shutter release not working, or if both did not work.

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
girello

johnchap2 wrote:

Not clear to me if the shutter button on the camera body would not work with grip attached, or that the shutter release on the grip was the shutter release not working, or if both did not work.

Hi, sorry, maybe I was not clear enough

everything works on the camera with the grip on, only the functions of the grip are not working: shutter release, joystick, AE-L AF-L button.

MattPointZero
MattPointZero Contributing Member • Posts: 751

girello wrote:

johnchap2 wrote:

everything works on the camera with the grip on, only the functions of the grip are not working: shutter release, joystick, AE-L AF-L button.

You've turned the grip on with the rotating lever presumably - how did that feel, does it feel how it did when it was working - i.e. is the thing actually turning on?

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE
girello

Matt2134 wrote:

girello wrote:

johnchap2 wrote:

You've turned the grip on with the rotating lever presumably - how did that feel, does it feel how it did when it was working - i.e. is the thing actually turning on?

...the rotating lever...never seen it before...

Now it works again, apparently I had rotated that by mistake

You saved me!

theonetruepath Senior Member • Posts: 1,659

girello wrote:

Matt2134 wrote:

girello wrote:

johnchap2 wrote:

You saved me!

You know there's a battery inside that thing you will need to charge right... next time it stops working...

theonetruepath's gear list:theonetruepath's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Contributing Member • Posts: 751

girello wrote:

Matt2134 wrote:

girello wrote:

johnchap2 wrote:

You saved me!

It's always the silliest things you overlook!  We have all done something like it at some point...

I am glad I could have helped, enjoy!  

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads