Does my new 16-55mm f.2.8 sound normal?

Started Jan 12, 2018 | Questions
RC62 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Does my new 16-55mm f.2.8 sound normal?

Just got a new 16-55 lens. Love the lens so far! The AF motor is pretty quiet which I love, but the aperture motor is actually louder than the AF motor. When the aperture blades auto opens and closes stepping down to adjust for light, or when sometimes half pressing to focus, the chirping/buzzing sound that it makes is actually quite loud to me in a silent room, audibly louder comparing to my 23mm f1.4 and 56mm’s aperture motor.

Just wanted to know if my copy is normal or not. Hopefully it is.

Thank you for chiming in.

RC62's gear list:RC62's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
OP RC62 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Does my new 16-55mm f.2.8 sound normal?

I made a video showing the sound. Is this normal for the 16-55 lens? Thanks.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,034

Mine, purchased in October and made in Japan (get that info out of the way) is completely silent. I did return one version of the lens that had a rather loud AF motor. That one did not have any sounds associated with AE - never even occurred to me that the AE motor would be noisy.

If possible, get a replacement. Good luck and it is THE BEST lens as it is a bag of primes - 16, 23, 35, 50, 55 focal lengths.

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Vic Chapman Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694

If I hadn't already experienced mine I would say you were worrying about nothing as I had to turn the sound up on the video to hear yours.

However, I just checked mine for noise and both AF and aperture are totally silent on my copy, so perhaps swap it if you can for another. A super lens which you'll love.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan. Writer, comedian, poet, Goon. 1918 - 2002

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more

H lewiedude2 and Vic, thanks for responding, would you guys mind testing your copy again, but with your aperture set to anything above f2.8, preferably f5.6, and test it in a environment thats not too bright so that the aperture will self adjust itself for enough light to your live view? I.e., When you half press the shutter to focus and then de-press, the lens aperture will step back to its widest, thats when the aperture motor sound is the most audible.  Thanks again.

RC62 wrote:

H lewiedude2 and Vic, thanks for responding, would you guys mind testing your copy again, but with your aperture set to anything above f2.8, preferably f5.6, and test it in a environment thats not too bright so that the aperture will self adjust itself for enough light to your live view? I.e., When you half press the shutter to focus and then de-press, the lens aperture will step back to its widest, thats when the aperture motor sound is the most audible. Thanks again.

I tried mine at all apertures out the window and into the room and also at a lamp. Turned off all room sounds including the wife and could just about hear the aperture blades closing at small apertures. My wife was less than two feet away before she could here even the slightest sound from it. AF is just silent.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
Mczar2u Forum Member • Posts: 95

Vic Chapman wrote:

RC62 wrote:

H lewiedude2 and Vic, thanks for responding, would you guys mind testing your copy again, but with your aperture set to anything above f2.8, preferably f5.6, and test it in a environment thats not too bright so that the aperture will self adjust itself for enough light to your live view? I.e., When you half press the shutter to focus and then de-press, the lens aperture will step back to its widest, thats when the aperture motor sound is the most audible. Thanks again.

I tried mine at all apertures out the window and into the room and also at a lamp. Turned off all room sounds including the wife and could just about hear the aperture blades closing at small apertures. My wife was less than two feet away before she could here even the slightest sound from it. AF is just silent.

Vic

You could make a lot of friends if you can explain  the trick to turn off your  wife

Vic Chapman wrote:

RC62 wrote:

Vic

Thanks Vic, for testing again. When you do hear the aperture blades moving, is it the same sound signature you hear in my video clip? Mine may just have been louder in the video due to the iPhone mic was right next to the lens when recording.

Mczar2u wrote:

Vic Chapman wrote:

RC62 wrote:

Vic

You could make a lot of friends if you can explain the trick to turn off your wife

LOL...I think we all need this trick.

Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,606

Mczar2u wrote:

Vic Chapman wrote:

Vic

You could make a lot of friends if you can explain the trick to turn off your wife

Pretty easy, actually.  Show her this thread, laugh loudly, and then await her reaction.  I have a feeling that she'll most certainly be "turned off."  At that point, there might also be some additional reactions, for which I will not take any responsibility.

Assuming you survive, please report back how it went.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more

After digging through and researching into this so called "aperture chatter", it seems to be normal for all fuji lenses where the aperture is constantly adjusting for light input to the viewfinder. Now my question remain is that; is my 16-55mm aperture noise level normal? Its definitely more audible than my 23mm1.4 and 56mm's aperture though. Hearing other owner's say that their copy is completely silent makes me unnerving, and makes me contemplate if I should make the exchange. I just want to make sure its "not normal" before I do an exchange, otherwise it be a waste of time and shipping cost for me and the retailer. Thanks guys.

lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,034

Here is my suggestion to you, and no I haven’t had the chance to test the lens as you wish...I don’t have enough time right now (and you can search my posts and see that I asked the same question about the AF motor a few months ago). Go get a new copy. If you have to purchase it so that you possess both at the same time, please do so - I had to do the this with my favorite internet/brick and mortar Fuji supply retailer (and please don’t tell me to support local as there are ONLY two retailers selling Fuji in metro Chicago and neither are anywhere close to me).

Perform your tests with both and see what the new one brings, noise-wise. If neither are acceptable, try it again with another copy. The lens, I read, was optimised for many capabilities including using it for shooting video.

I could go on and on how awesome it is, but I have posted my opinion of it else where in the community.

Good luck!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Gibbons3D Regular Member • Posts: 111

Hi, I just noticed this noise on my 16-55, usually when my shutter speed is below 1/125 and auto aperture, was it ever worked out if this is normal?

Gibbons3D wrote:

Hi, I just noticed this noise on my 16-55, usually when my shutter speed is below 1/125 and auto aperture, was it ever worked out if this is normal?

With some lenses used in shutter priority, when the shutter speed is low enough that the camera chooses a small aperture, they can make a small sound which I think is the aperture closing. However it's not particular to that lens as far as I know. I shoot AP so I would not get the noise anyway. I have not heard of the 16-55mm f2.8 making any sound.

The 18-55mm XF had a similar problem I believe which was the aperture closing.

Vic

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads