Sony RX-100 Mk1 with firmware version 2

Started Jan 10, 2018 | Discussions
thistle Junior Member • Posts: 25
Sony RX-100 Mk1 with firmware version 2

I have received (from Amazon) a Sony RX-100 Mk1 with firmware version 2. The serial number of the camera is "old" (I have seen others with bigger numbers).

From the Sony website it seems the maximum firmware version for the Mk1 is 1.1.

What's happened?

hwvlover
hwvlover Veteran Member • Posts: 7,785
Re: Sony RX-100 Mk1 with firmware version 2

Ver 2.0 was firmware released last march for the Mark 3, 4 and 5.

Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV Leica Q2
vasgyuszi Forum Member • Posts: 81

hwvlover wrote:

Ver 2.0 was firmware released last march for the Mark 3, 4 and 5.

Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

What do you want to say? It's obvious.
The question is, how is this combo (fw2.0 on mk1) even possible? And why? What's the benefit?

vasgyuszi's gear list:vasgyuszi's gear list
Casio QV-R41 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX50 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 IV
sludge21017
sludge21017 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,230

Is it a new or used Sony RX100?

What's the date on the Sony battery?

sludge21017's gear list:sludge21017's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 Sony DSC-RX0 II
MiamiDolphin Contributing Member • Posts: 673

You didn't say the most important thing: Does it work?

-- hide signature --

Bits are the two foundation pillars on which all digital cameras are built.

MiamiDolphin's gear list:MiamiDolphin's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6600
OP thistle Junior Member • Posts: 25

It was a replacement camera I received from Amazon and they told me it was new (like the one got replaced).

The camera worked. I have just shipped it back: the first camera (replaced) had a serial starting with 7, the replacement camera a serial starting with 1. I thought it was a refurbished device. I didn't check the date on the battery.

IanRC New Member • Posts: 1

I know this post is 4 months old, but thought I would add to it for the benefit of anyone else searching for answers to this problem.

My RX100 also showed firmware version 2.0 and serial number beginning with 1.

I got in touch with Sony support and after investigating they sent me the following answer, quote “After further investigation, it has been confirmed that our revised model of RX100, comes by default with a newer firmware version 2.0 which is not an issue.”

So problem solved, it is not an old camera and is a genuine Sony product.

sludge21017

IanRC wrote:

I know this post is 4 months old, but thought I would add to it for the benefit of anyone else searching for answers to this problem.

My RX100 also showed firmware version 2.0 and serial number beginning with 1.

I got in touch with Sony support and after investigating they sent me the following answer, quote “After further investigation, it has been confirmed that our revised model of RX100, comes by default with a newer firmware version 2.0 which is not an issue.”

So problem solved, it is not an old camera and is a genuine Sony product.

Awesome!  Thanks for the update!

Ken Thomson Regular Member • Posts: 135

Just handled an RX100 with FW2.0. The only difference I can see is that the Fn menu can have 12 items, 2 rows, rather than the 6 items, 1 row of the original. This brings it into line with current models. I suspect the Bionz processer might be newer so the update won’t be offered on older models.

-- hide signature --

regards, Ken

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 18,793

Ken Thomson wrote:

Just handled an RX100 with FW2.0. The only difference I can see is that the Fn menu can have 12 items, 2 rows, rather than the 6 items, 1 row of the original. This brings it into line with current models. I suspect the Bionz processer might be newer so the update won’t be offered on older models.

12 Fn items in lieu of 6 is BIG.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55937310

Interesting about the processor,

If so, it would have Auto ISO in M, which original m1 and m2 did not have. I rely on that with my m3, RX1r, and will also with my m6. Manual to control both shutter speed and aperture focus depth. Waiting for a breeze to die down, a rattlesnake to smile, a cloud comes in or leaves, light changes, bingo, ISO automatically changes as needed.

I think they tweak the processor without announcing it. One clue is that the CIZ Clear Image Zoom (jpeg only) keeps improving, bit by bit, with each model, newer processing power, new alogarithms, ...

A tangent, but

I have not tested my m6, there is a current thread about CIZ, and I definitely saw an improvement when Stephen Ingrahm posted his Safari photos from his RX10m3, using both Smart Zoom and CIZ for distant Lions, Zebras, etc. A perfect situation to try/see the benefit. (RAW shooters need to change to Jpeg Only to try/see).I don't recall seing CIZ from RX10m4, it has 600mm optical, however, I would definitely check out both smart Tele, and CIZ.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more

Just checked, Auto ISO is available in Manual

-- hide signature --

regards, Ken

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 18,793

Ken Thomson wrote:

Just checked, Auto ISO is available in Manual

Thanks, for me that is also big.

I simply don't know enough about ISO, so I hesitate to use M with my m1.

The damn thing is broken, down in the shop for me to take it apart for the 3rd time, see if I get lucky. Mine is pre-order, Made in Japan, it had the spots on sensor problem, fixed twice, once on Sony warranty, once on extended warranty, then I messed with it 3rd time. My front ring got progressively hard to turn, I should have checked it out sooner, but, I don't know how to get to that part.

Happily I have my m3 for brighter lens for low light motion, and the replacement m6 comes tomorrow. Amazon could not have been more professional. 2 day turn around.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,979
Latest RX100 firmware I find is 1.1

thistle wrote:

I have received (from Amazon) a Sony RX-100 Mk1 with firmware version 2. The serial number of the camera is "old" (I have seen others with bigger numbers).

From the Sony website it seems the maximum firmware version for the Mk1 is 1.1.

What's happened?

I bought a new RX100 yesterday and mine also has version 2.0 firmware. When I searched on the internet the newest firmware I can find is version 1.1. I found 2.0 for other RX100 models, but not the RX100mkI. Does anyone know what changed in 2.0 for the RX100mkI?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Re: Latest RX100 firmware I find is 1.1

The known changes are mentioned in this thread. As there is nothing published by Sony there may be other changes that no-one has noticed.

-- hide signature --

regards, Ken

Ken Thomson wrote:

The known changes are mentioned in this thread. As there is nothing published by Sony there may be other changes that no-one has noticed.

Thanks, I did read through the thread and saw the new menu items that were mentioned.  I was just wondering if there were any other internal things, but since Sony seems to have been very quiet about this RX100 firmware 2.0 I guess we will not know.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

sludge21017

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ken Thomson wrote:

Thanks, I did read through the thread and saw the new menu items that were mentioned. I was just wondering if there were any other internal things, but since Sony seems to have been very quiet about this RX100 firmware 2.0 I guess we will not know.

Do you have the new WB settings?

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=DSCRX100M5&upd_id=11102&os_group_id=28

No Underwater Auto White Balance

sludge21017 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ken Thomson wrote:

Thanks, I did read through the thread and saw the new menu items that were mentioned. I was just wondering if there were any other internal things, but since Sony seems to have been very quiet about this RX100 firmware 2.0 I guess we will not know.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=DSCRX100M5&upd_id=11102&os_group_id=28

No, my RX100 with 2.0 does not have Underwater Auto in White Balance settings.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

sludge21017
Re: No Underwater Auto White Balance

Henry Richardson wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ken Thomson wrote:

Ok. I do on my RX100V with F/W 2.0.

Re: No Underwater Auto White Balance

sludge21017 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Ken Thomson wrote:

Ok. I do on my RX100V with F/W 2.0.

Yes, I would expect that you would have it.  Your link is for the RX100V, not the RX100.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

urock New Member • Posts: 1
Re: RX100 m1 Firmware 2.0

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had discovered additional changes to the original RX100 with firmware 2.0.

I am considering this RX100 to replace a Canon S100 that recently died to lens error (Canon no longer offers fix).  I don't want to spend more than around $400 so it is either this camera or the G9X i or ii.

Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads