Hdmi cable for 5Div?

Started Jan 6, 2018 | Discussions
flatpicknut
flatpicknut Contributing Member • Posts: 693
Hdmi cable for 5Div?

I bought a cable at Micro Center a few years ago and used it once with an older camera (can't remember if it was a 5Diii or 6d) but it isn't working well with my 5Div. It won't work at all on one monitor and is intermittent on another monitor. Do I need to pay $50 for the Canon cable? There seem to be many cables with good reviews that are $10 or less.

-- hide signature --

Doug Brock

flatpicknut's gear list:flatpicknut's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +8 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,533
Re: Hdmi cable for 5Div?

I've bought the least expensive HDMI cables Amazon offered, and they've worked just fine for tethering.  Of course, that isn't a monitor connection.  Have you considered that the problem isn't in the cable itself?

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
flatpicknut
OP flatpicknut Contributing Member • Posts: 693

landscaper1 wrote:

I've bought the least expensive HDMI cables Amazon offered, and they've worked just fine for tethering. Of course, that isn't a monitor connection. Have you considered that the problem isn't in the cable itself?

I've considered that but I have seen lots of Amazon comments from folks who seem to have had similar issues when using certain cables. Also, the one monitor that works connects and disconnects when I move the cable around, so it does seem to be a cable issue. I'm torn between just buying the $50 cable or trying another cable at Micro Center. On one hand I see multiple customers talk about how a cable fit better or worked better, but on the other hand I'm not finding any internet guidance from the video folks saying that you definitely need the expensive Canon cable.

-- hide signature --

Doug Brock

flatpicknut's gear list:flatpicknut's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +8 more
yodermk Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

I use an HDMI cable to connect it to a projector.  Done it with the 5D4, the 5D3, and 60D.  No issues.  It's just a basic HDMI cable with a mini (or is it micro, I forget) dongle on the end.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads