Fireworks with the EM-5 MKII

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
aptmunich
aptmunich Forum Member • Posts: 86
Fireworks with the EM-5 MKII

We spent New Year's Eve at my sister-in-law's who has a 5th floor apartment overlooking the outskirts of Munich.

Here in Germany, everyone sets off their own fireworks, so perfect opportunity to try out the Live-Composite mode (link to my blog post on how I shot these fireworks with Composite Mode if you haven't tried it yet).

Anyone else get any fun NYE fireworks shots?

aptmunich's gear list:aptmunich's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Apple iPhone X
Boss of Sony Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
Fireworks with GX85

With the Olympus 75-300mm lens.

Edited from RAW. Deliberately darkened shadows.

Edited from RAW. Resized because it wasn't so sharp.

Over-the-top processing just for fun

Boss of Sony's gear list:Boss of Sony's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH
Olympmick Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: Fireworks with the EM-5 MKII

Not NYE but here are my 1st attempts with Live Composite. Taken in last year's Brisbane Riverfire with EM1.2 and 12-100 F4 Pro. Last one placed 3rd in a recent challenge which I'm very happy about. Cheers.

Olympmick's gear list:Olympmick's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
MarkHu Contributing Member • Posts: 613

These are from 31.12.2016 with Live Composite mode with the EM-5 MKII, M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8.

Happy New Year 2018!

Mark H
"Life is worthy to photograph"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139785057@N08

MarkHu's gear list:MarkHu's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +3 more
BTAbkenar
BTAbkenar Regular Member • Posts: 295

This is what I could capture using the lovely Live Composite feature. I didn't need to go elsewhere, everything happened in our surrounding. Our house in the middle of the image.

This is done using EM10II and Samyang 7.5nn.

I wish you all a great new year.

./Bahman

BTAbkenar's gear list:BTAbkenar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC +9 more
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,479
Getting the technicalities straight

Thanks for your post. I haven't been able to try live composite yet for these, but I'm wondering about your exposure specifications. Forgive the technicalities, here, but for those who want to learn how to do this kind of shooting (e.g., me!), what I say here is intended to help.

All of your shots look overexposed to me, the second being the most obvious. Now, of course, some "taste" is in play, but big regions of total white--where there should be some texture--are a no-no for me. The last is closest to what I'd take to be optimal exposure, but I would still have shot it at a slightly lower exposure.

I don't think it's hard to see why this occurred, though exposing for time-varying light situations is always tricky. In my general exposure notes I keep, I've marked .5 sec at f/ 5.6 as a suggested start for fireworks in live composite. I think I got that from Olympus, but I didn't save the source.

Your first photo shows 1 sec exposure at f/5.6, so apparently one stop over this "suggested" value. The second uses the "recommended" .5 sec exposure, but opens up the aperture more than a stop. So, that would explain my perceived overexposure. The last is overexposed as set, like the first, by this standard, and while closer to "not blown out" in the image, I think it would be better at a lower exposure.

In your blog post, you suggest f/ 8 at .5 sec. But, your posted shots are 2 of 3 at 1 second, or at a wider aperture. You also mark the time setting as "interval between shots," but the MAIN purpose of the .5 secs is to set the exposure for individual shots in the composite. The camera does the exposures back-to-back, so exposure time also forces the time-per-shot.

Please feel free to correct me on any of the technicalities. As for judgments of "overexposed," well, that may be a personal issue. I found most of the shots others posted more to my taste on this score, but they were not uniformly helpful on the technicalities.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
brycesteiner
brycesteiner Senior Member • Posts: 1,906
here are some of mine

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
xelnt Forum Member • Posts: 55

Here's some of my new years eve fireworks shots (we have an early kids one and the mid night one). Shot with a Pana GX8 using bulb mode - I wish Panasonic would add live composite mode...

Early kids fireworks

Early kids fireworks

Midnight fireworks

Midnight fireworks

xelnt's gear list:xelnt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +3 more
aptmunich
OP aptmunich Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: Getting the technicalities straight

boxerman wrote:

All of your shots look overexposed to me, the second being the most obvious. Now, of course, some "taste" is in play, but big regions of total white--where there should be some texture--are a no-no for me. The last is closest to what I'd take to be optimal exposure, but I would still have shot it at a slightly lower exposure.

I don't think it's hard to see why this occurred, though exposing for time-varying light situations is always tricky. In my general exposure notes I keep, I've marked .5 sec at f/ 5.6 as a suggested start for fireworks in live composite. I think I got that from Olympus, but I didn't save the source.

Your first photo shows 1 sec exposure at f/5.6, so apparently one stop over this "suggested" value. The second uses the "recommended" .5 sec exposure, but opens up the aperture more than a stop. So, that would explain my perceived overexposure. The last is overexposed as set, like the first, by this standard, and while closer to "not blown out" in the image, I think it would be better at a lower exposure.

In your blog post, you suggest f/ 8 at .5 sec. But, your posted shots are 2 of 3 at 1 second, or at a wider aperture. You also mark the time setting as "interval between shots," but the MAIN purpose of the .5 secs is to set the exposure for individual shots in the composite. The camera does the exposures back-to-back, so exposure time also forces the time-per-shot.

Great points! This was my first time using Live Composite and there was a lot of trial and error involved. I also noticed the issues with overexposure but midnight had come and gone by the time I had the ideal settings and the restulting photos were less interesting, hence the earlier ones in the post.

I'll update the post with your feedback - thanks, great tips!

Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Apple iPhone X

aptmunich wrote:

boxerman wrote:

Great points! This was my first time using Live Composite and there was a lot of trial and error involved. I also noticed the issues with overexposure but midnight had come and gone by the time I had the ideal settings and the restulting photos were less interesting, hence the earlier ones in the post.

I'll update the post with your feedback - thanks, great tips!

Have you tried recovering the highlights in post ? You may be pleasantly surprised......

Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
aptmunich
Re: here are some of mine

brycesteiner wrote:

Love the composition on this shot - nice!

aptmunich

Olympmick wrote:

Wowzer - amazing!

aptmunich

Olympmick wrote:

Have you tried recovering the highlights in post ? You may be pleasantly surprised......

I haven't yet - someone also forgot to set their new camera to JPEG+RAW, so I've only got the JPEGs to work with. Oh well, live and learn. 👍

Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised how they turned out considering that it was my 1st attempt with Live Comp.

boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,479

aptmunich wrote:

thanks, great tips!

You're entirely welcome. I am only interested in being helpful, not critical, so I'm very happy you took my comments in that way.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 18,677
Live Composite

I think that the images posted on this thread using Live Composite show just how well suited this mode is to fireworks.

Some very high quality images.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
brycesteiner
brycesteiner Senior Member • Posts: 1,906
Re: here are some of mine

Live Composite really is a great tool. It makes the fireworks so much more realistic without blowing out other areas (or the fireworks).

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads