Sony Rumors: in 2018 the A6700

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Gigioschi
Gigioschi Regular Member • Posts: 170

I think it is useless to specify that I do not know what is true, and how reliable the sources are.
I read the rumors on the sony a6700 on an Italian photography site, but a serious site.
I report it only out of curiosity:

The design will follow that of the A6500, but with a new 24 Mpxl APS-C sensor, and a processor that will solve the problem of overheating.
The new mirrorless will offer a wide 16-stop dynamic range and a 15-fps burst rate with 16-bit Raw file saving.
Improvements will affect the autofocus system and video, with the 4K format at 60 fps
The current A6500 has great problems of autonomy with 310 viewfinder shots; logical therefore expect improvements on the front of battery life.
The announcement could be given in the second half of 2018.

These are the expected characteristics:

Better AF, like accuracy and sensitivity
1 / 8000s shutter
Faster gust
Flash sync 1 / 250s
Improved electronic shutter
A better stabilizer
Two memory card slots, with UHS-II support
Raw processing in the car
Double exposure
Wi-Fi connectivity
Greater speed in startup, and greater reactivity
Adjustable touchscreen monitor

http://www.fotografia.it/DettaglioNewsTecnica/21093/2017-12-29-rumors-sony--nel-2018-la-a6700.aspx

Gigioschi's gear list:Gigioschi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +32 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 3,684
Re: Sony Rumors: in 2018 the A6700

Two more stops than the A7R3 despite being only APS-C?

Chances of that - slim to none.

The A6300's sensor is state of the art and unmatched by anything out there in terms of dynamic range when comparing apples to apples (e.g. full frame sensors are put into APS-C crop mode to ensure the sensor area is the same).

However I could potentially see Sony pulling an A7R3 here and cranking up the readout rate without changing much else, along with all of the recent QoL changes to the body such as USB-C. Maybe even a stacked sensor - but this would put the A6700 into a very niche market segment.

A new BIONZ on an improved manufacturing process would lead to significantly improved thermals - I can definitely see that happening.

That said, given that the A6500 won't hit the 2-year mark until late 2018 and Sony has been slowing down their refresh pace to be longer than 2 years for everything - it seems unlikely.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
maccam
maccam Contributing Member • Posts: 897

Why not a6500mk2?. They will run out of numbers.

JAW

maccam's gear list:maccam's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +9 more
Miwok
Miwok Contributing Member • Posts: 768

maccam wrote:

Why not a6500mk2?. They will run out of numbers.

JAW

I'm waiting for the a7000! (the one at $700).

Until then, i'm perfectly happy with my a6000.

Miwok's gear list:Miwok's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,764

Looks more like a wish list than a rumor. Did they say where this "rumor" came from?

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more

audiobomber wrote:

Looks more like a wish list than a rumor. Did they say where this "rumor" came from?

The insane DR claims are what really makes me think it is a wishlist.  That is such a wild claim it puts the credibility of everything else in question.

I think we're approaching some pretty nasty hard limits on DR that are going to be very difficult to overcome without major sensor architecture changes - perhaps the new sensor architecture announced by Fossum's team (see PS&T forum) but that's years away from commercial viability and might turn out to be limited primarily to low-light applications.  Getting noise down further than it already is without active cooling is going to be increasingly tough.  For a while we saw major improvements as manufacturing technology improved fill factors and hence QE - but at this point, gapless microlenses combined with newer manufacturing technology mean that you don't even need BSI any more to hit effective QE caps - the A6300 does a great job of showing this.  You basically can't improve your area usage efficiency past 100%.

Alternative CFA architectures have the potential to raise QE - but they have always had enough of a detrimental effect on color accuracy that they have tended to be relegated to small niches.  (Fuji X-Trans).  Leica Monochrom is an extreme example of this - losing all color accuracy in exchange for a massive boost in QE.  As a result it outperforms everything out there in its sensor size - but as indicated by the name, it has no color capability at all, it's monochrome.

Also, as you get to higher bit numbers, ADC design gets nasty.  It would be hard to go to 16 bits without incurring a readout rate penalty.  As it is, we already see Sony dropping to 12 bits to improve readout rates, and the readout rate improvement going from 14 to 12 is far more than what you would get just from reduced bandwidth.

Mateus1 Contributing Member • Posts: 832
Better camera control

If A6700 will not have front-back command dials, it will still be the camera with poorest control. It's a shame A6500 - top Sony APS-C - is behind all Fuji, Panasonic and Olympus it this area.

Gigioschi
OP Gigioschi Regular Member • Posts: 170
Re: Better camera control

I'd like it to stay with the current setting, but it would be good to add two-sided controls like the A7, a joystick and at least some other buttons.

Gigioschi's gear list:Gigioschi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +32 more
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,534
Not just a wishlist and other issues

Gigioschi wrote:

I think it is useless to specify that I do not know what is true, and how reliable the sources are.
I read the rumors on the sony a6700 on an Italian photography site, but a serious site.

The design will follow that of the A6500, but with a new 24 Mpxl APS-C sensor, and a processor that will solve the problem of overheating.
The new mirrorless will offer a wide 16-stop dynamic range and a 15-fps burst rate with 16-bit Raw file saving.
Improvements will affect the autofocus system and video, with the 4K format at 60 fps
The current A6500 has great problems of autonomy with 310 viewfinder shots; logical therefore expect improvements on the front of battery life.

1 / 8000s shutter
Faster gust
Flash sync 1 / 250s
A better stabilizer
Double exposure
Wi-Fi connectivity

http://www.fotografia.it/DettaglioNewsTecnica/21093/2017-12-29-rumors-sony--nel-2018-la-a6700.aspx

It is not just a wishlist as other people say. For sure we will see improvements in IBIS, wi-fi (maybe even BT will be used), burst rates, etc. That goes without saying simply because Sony tend to not limit the use of their latest even in their aps-c line.

One thing is certain - if Sony does not use the latest it got from the A9, A7R iii, where else will the A6700 innovate?

The 2 biggest tech here is the faster readout speed and the better bionz speeds. These 2 are the key. With these 2, you can solve the problem of banding, overheating, and up the frame rates. DR? I am a bit skeptical on this. There might be something there, but I doubt if it will be groundbreaking. It will be there, but nothing like a 1.5-2 stop improvement.

Now having 60p 4k there is going to be some mean trick. That would mean they have further improved on the BionZ to a big degree that they can now process such voluminous data at such speeds.

I don't know if they will put 2 card slots there. That would change the size of the a6xxx line, unless they have further miniturized some parts. Although, making it a bit larger is also good. It will help improve heat dissipation too.

The other big issue if Sony will finally get their touch screen to work in all menus, not just the AF. This is a constant irritation for many, especially if you have a panasonic, or Canon M series camera. It boggles me why this cannot be done when they can do this in their cell phones. And they have even done it already in the NEX-5T, though that one does not have capacitative screen and the bionz processor was still not that good.

The other question is if it will have an LCD sidescreen so it will fully articulate? I very much doubt if it will at this time. But at least, let it flip over 180 degrees like in the A99 ii. I very much they will do it that way too. But if they give us a fully functioning touch screen, I can let go of this for this iteration.

But the other question now is - what will happen to the rest of the a6xxx line? will they discontinue the a6000 and make the a6300 the successor?

First, the easy one first - there is a need for a low end a5200 to replace the a5100. It's the answer to the selfie folks but with a better AF and touch screen. The m100/m6 and the gx85, etc are killing the aging a5100. It's a 3-4 year model, so it should be replaced. Stop the a5000 and maybe continue the a5100 as a lower end model bumping off the a5000.

The question is what to do with the a6000. Or rather with the a6300. If the a6300 can go down to U$680 or so, maybe, yes, the a6000 can be discontinued. The a6000 is now about U$550-625 give or take. If the a6300 can take a dip at U$600 on avg, yes, the a6000 can be retired. But I doubt that. If any, the a6300 may even be the one to be retired. The a6000 stays as it is. The a6500 goes down a bit in price (by U$100-150). If the a6500 can go down to U$1,150-1,200 body only, that is a good move.

OTOH, Sony can just keep the a6300 rolling along and cover the U$700-850 range.

At the end of the day, Sony must start covering the bases on the aps-c line. Fuji is not resting on what it has now. They will surely attack what Sony has in the a6500. And 2 year is just right to put out the a6700.

Same with the MFT. Panasonic's G9 is the beginning of change that will revamp their line. No more slow or non existent AF-C. Future G90's and GX90's and Gx900's will now be capable of decent AF-C.  Olympus may come out with something to solve the dilemma they have with their flagship, now that the G9 is squaring with it with better specs and performance. So, everybody is moving so, Sony can't just sit and relax.

Maybe the only one not doing anything is Canon and Nikon. For Canon, without a digic 8 that will be leaps and bounds better than their current digic 7, they can't have a 4k camera and do what the others are doing. Meanwhile Nikon is so busy preparing their flagship mirrorless 35FF. They won't have time to go for the aps-c. Not yet.

2018 is going to be a year we will be surprised again.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +22 more
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 1,264
Re: Not just a wishlist and other issues

How does innovation help Sony? Is the A6500 not competitive enough?

Sony makes things in order to make money. And they seem to have a pretty range of models at prices they think are competitive (and they are sold, so the customers think that as well).

Now, if you add something at the top of the range, it will likely be more expensive. And that is only needed if there is a competitor in the market - which I doubt. That competitr is the A7 range.

Then I see people clamoring for f/2.8 zooms. Sony sells f/4 zooms for the A7 range which occupy that spot in light gathering abilities.

It would make sense for someone with hands on experience with both lines to organize the current models on different scales (or preferably a graph) such as AF capability, speed and sensor generation. That would give insight in where the 'gaps' are - I expect the original A7 to be all the way to the left of the scale, with the venerable A6000 scoring well on speed, and the A9 scoring best on speed and AF.

That comparison should make clear where the gaps are.

But do not expect that new APS-C body to come with a cheap small excellent GM APS-C lens...

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +8 more

caterpillar wrote:

Gigioschi wrote:

1 / 8000s shutter
Faster gust
Flash sync 1 / 250s
A better stabilizer
Double exposure
Wi-Fi connectivity

It is not just a wishlist as other people say. For sure we will see improvements in IBIS, wi-fi (maybe even BT will be used), burst rates, etc. That goes without saying simply because Sony tend to not limit the use of their latest even in their aps-c line.

The insane dynamic range claim makes it pretty obviously a wishlist.  Just because the other items on the wishlist are more realistic doesn't mean it's not still a wishlist.

And yes - Sony most definitely does not limit the use of their latest on their APS-C line.  The A6300/A6500 pioneered a bunch of things not present in the R2 - S-Gamut3.cine for video, the new menu system in A6500, and sensor improvements not seen in FF until the A7R3.  Bill Claff's analysis of the deltas between R2 and R3 indicate that the low-ISO DR improvements came from improved ADC resolution - improved resolution that appears to be already present in the A6300/A6500 if you compare their performance to that of the R2/R3 in crop mode.  So the A6300 had new sensor improvements not seen in FF for nearly two years.

One thing is certain - if Sony does not use the latest it got from the A9, A7R iii, where else will the A6700 innovate?

Good question - right now there's not anything obvious other than pulling in the R3's BIONZ and USB-C.

The 2 biggest tech here is the faster readout speed and the better bionz speeds. These 2 are the key. With these 2, you can solve the problem of banding, overheating, and up the frame rates. DR? I am a bit skeptical on this. There might be something there, but I doubt if it will be groundbreaking. It will be there, but nothing like a 1.5-2 stop improvement.

This is one case where the R3 is leading - partly because the BIONZ is the same whether FF or APS-C, and so there isn't a cost benefit to deploying technology in a small sensor first.  Feed the R3's BIONZ with only 24MP and you'll see something quite impressive.

Now having 60p 4k there is going to be some mean trick. That would mean they have further improved on the BionZ to a big degree that they can now process such voluminous data at such speeds.

Not a neat trick - They can already do it for a 1:1 crop, (e.g. not 6k downscaled to 4k) - but they don't because such an aggressive crop on APS-C would be rejected.  It remains to be seen why the R3's improved readout rate doesn't appear to be done for video (Venice anti-cannibalization?) but in theory the R3 SHOULD be able to do 6k60 in a 16:9 crop.

4k60 without oversampling requires around 500 MPixels/sec which the A6300/A6500 and even the R2 are capable of - the problem is, 4k without oversampling is too aggressive of a crop on all of those cameras.

6k60 can be almost done with 1 GPixel/sec which the R3 clocks in at for some modes - but not all.  The R3 SHOULD be able to do full-sensor-width sampling without pixel skipping but doesn't - whether there's a bottleneck in the BIONZ demosaicer/scaler/encoder or because Sony is excessively paranoid about cannibalizing Venice, who knows.

I don't know if they will put 2 card slots there. That would change the size of the a6xxx line, unless they have further miniturized some parts. Although, making it a bit larger is also good. It will help improve heat dissipation too.

Yeah.  Some people want/don't mind larger, but a lot of people have whined just about the A6500's size gain compared to A6000.

The other big issue if Sony will finally get their touch screen to work in all menus, not just the AF. This is a constant irritation for many, especially if you have a panasonic, or Canon M series camera. It boggles me why this cannot be done when they can do this in their cell phones. And they have even done it already in the NEX-5T, though that one does not have capacitative screen and the bionz processor was still not that good.

They would have to double or triple the amount of menu screens they have in order to do this.

The other question is if it will have an LCD sidescreen so it will fully articulate? I very much doubt if it will at this time. But at least, let it flip over 180 degrees like in the A99 ii. I very much they will do it that way too. But if they give us a fully functioning touch screen, I can let go of this for this iteration.

There are probably durability issues with being aggressive enough to clear the EVF in such a small body.

But the other question now is - what will happen to the rest of the a6xxx line? will they discontinue the a6000 and make the a6300 the successor?

Interesting question - they may push the A6000 down even farther in price - look at the RX100 line, I think the original is still in production?

First, the easy one first - there is a need for a low end a5200 to replace the a5100. It's the answer to the selfie folks but with a better AF and touch screen. The m100/m6 and the gx85, etc are killing the aging a5100. It's a 3-4 year model, so it should be replaced. Stop the a5000 and maybe continue the a5100 as a lower end model bumping off the a5000.

This is probably such a small market Sony just doesn't care.  Remember - the A6000 has been the top mirrorless seller on Amazon for almost 2 years straight.  It STILL is the top mirrorless seller every time I look at it!

TBH Sony is due for this - I don't think the 6300 has been discounted at all, or not more than $100 or so, since launch, and it's close to 2 years.

jmatacola New Member • Posts: 21

but if Sony were to come out with a new alpha6000 series camera then they would use the new sensor and maybe update the touch-pad on it. Probably expand the ISO and the shot speed(?) and the buffer and then the biggest and baddest of all they would improve the image stabilization!!!! ta-da!!!!!! This is what they are known for after all, the sensor and the technology of their incredible advancements in image quality. I would love to get rid of that green tinge!!!! They would not need to go overboard on how many shots it could take; how many more than 11 FPS do ya need? The gamma logs in uncompressed 4K might change but, I think it would carry their new sensor , improvements in the touchpad, menu, maybe something on a dial for "normies", ISO, and uncompressed 4K.

I agree with almost all except the rate of new cameras. I see them sticking in their new sensor and maybe working on the touchpad some more. I do see your other refinements in the range of ISO and maybe the gamma log for 4K changing I really wish they did something with that greenish tinge

Entropy512 wrote:

caterpillar wrote:

Gigioschi wrote:

1 / 8000s shutter
Faster gust
Flash sync 1 / 250s
A better stabilizer
Double exposure
Wi-Fi connectivity

The insane dynamic range claim makes it pretty obviously a wishlist. Just because the other items on the wishlist are more realistic doesn't mean it's not still a wishlist.

And yes - Sony most definitely does not limit the use of their latest on their APS-C line. The A6300/A6500 pioneered a bunch of things not present in the R2 - S-Gamut3.cine for video, the new menu system in A6500, and sensor improvements not seen in FF until the A7R3. Bill Claff's analysis of the deltas between R2 and R3 indicate that the low-ISO DR improvements came from improved ADC resolution - improved resolution that appears to be already present in the A6300/A6500 if you compare their performance to that of the R2/R3 in crop mode. So the A6300 had new sensor improvements not seen in FF for nearly two years.

Good question - right now there's not anything obvious other than pulling in the R3's BIONZ and USB-C.

This is one case where the R3 is leading - partly because the BIONZ is the same whether FF or APS-C, and so there isn't a cost benefit to deploying technology in a small sensor first. Feed the R3's BIONZ with only 24MP and you'll see something quite impressive.

Not a neat trick - They can already do it for a 1:1 crop, (e.g. not 6k downscaled to 4k) - but they don't because such an aggressive crop on APS-C would be rejected. It remains to be seen why the R3's improved readout rate doesn't appear to be done for video (Venice anti-cannibalization?) but in theory the R3 SHOULD be able to do 6k60 in a 16:9 crop.

4k60 without oversampling requires around 500 MPixels/sec which the A6300/A6500 and even the R2 are capable of - the problem is, 4k without oversampling is too aggressive of a crop on all of those cameras.

6k60 can be almost done with 1 GPixel/sec which the R3 clocks in at for some modes - but not all. The R3 SHOULD be able to do full-sensor-width sampling without pixel skipping but doesn't - whether there's a bottleneck in the BIONZ demosaicer/scaler/encoder or because Sony is excessively paranoid about cannibalizing Venice, who knows.

Yeah. Some people want/don't mind larger, but a lot of people have whined just about the A6500's size gain compared to A6000.

They would have to double or triple the amount of menu screens they have in order to do this.

There are probably durability issues with being aggressive enough to clear the EVF in such a small body.

Interesting question - they may push the A6000 down even farther in price - look at the RX100 line, I think the original is still in production?

This is probably such a small market Sony just doesn't care. Remember - the A6000 has been the top mirrorless seller on Amazon for almost 2 years straight. It STILL is the top mirrorless seller every time I look at it!

TBH Sony is due for this - I don't think the 6300 has been discounted at all, or not more than $100 or so, since launch, and it's close to 2 years.

okay I think that the dual card slot could be a possibility. The new sensor is a definite. Faster frame rate is a why???Batter ISO is a wish definitely if it wants to keep up. An improved touchpad is what will be included but will it be called a 6000 series camera or will Sony change the game up to something along the lines of an 8000 series and offer everything we want in a pro camera at a semi-pro price except it not being a truly pro choice. Kind of like Canon when they came up with the d80?

coreyweb Regular Member • Posts: 109

Gigioschi wrote:

1 / 8000s shutter
Faster gust
Flash sync 1 / 250s
A better stabilizer
Double exposure
Wi-Fi connectivity

I'd like to see the tracking AF of the A9
-1/8000s shutter would be a random but nice improvement for super bright days.
-Flash sync 1/250s would also be a random but nice improvement to put it on par with others
-improved IBIS is always welcome.
-don't really need the dual card slots personally

Other than that they REALLY need to implement a quality articulating touch screen.
Lastly......if they could somehow get that updated battery in there, that'd be a super welcome improvement.

coreyweb's gear list:coreyweb's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

I see that there is a rumor that Sony will announce a new camera in a few days which they expect to be an a7mk3 or an A6000mk2

Well the a6300 is the a6000mk2 so not very likely we will see an a6000II

The a7II is the entry level and seems to be the less likely to upgrade

IMO it is more likely to be the A7sIII which needs to stay competitive with the specialty videographer market.

csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more

csintexas wrote:

I see that there is a rumor that Sony will announce a new camera in a few days which they expect to be an a7mk3 or an A6000mk2

Well the a6300 is the a6000mk2 so not very likely we will see an a6000II

The a7II is the entry level and seems to be the less likely to upgrade

IMO it is more likely to be the A7sIII which needs to stay competitive with the specialty videographer market.

A7II is entry level for full frame, but is midrange in the grand scheme of things.  An A7III is likely to be something well received by wedding photographers as a backup body.

An A7S3 is much more niche, and in general, Sony has either announced S-family cameras at NAB or completely off-cycle.

Low-end APS-C is extremely unlikely as it is of no interest to wedding photographers.

High-end APS-C is also unlikely given that 2 years is an extremely short product cycle in this industry and the A6300 is only 2 years old, the A6500 is even younger.

Remember, Sony's scheduled (not rumored) Monday announcement is tied to WPPI which is targeted at wedding professionals.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

I don't know what Sony's release history is or how it would dictate the future or even if they will really announce any new camera but I think that the a7s is popular for wedding photographers.

Just going by how long Nikanon kept their entry level full frame before upgrading. Actually Nikon is still selling the D610 from 2013 and Canon's new 600DII has not surpassed the A7II in any significant way.

Though it could hardly be called mid range, the A9 would be the ideal 2nd camera for professional photographers in the e-mount system who do not want to use it for video and I do not think they can do much to the A7II without turning it into the A9. The a9 has pretty much every upgrade A7II owners requested.

csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
Tog-meister Regular Member • Posts: 371

now that they stomped in with the a7 III, time to bring the A6700.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads